Stanford School of Medicine Class of 2009-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CreativeWriter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted -- wo hooooooooo!

Go Stanford!

:love: :love:

:D :D

Best of luck to you all still in the process

Members don't see this ad.

CreativeWriter said:
I have been accepted -- wo hooooooooo!

Go Stanford!

:love: :love:

:D :D

Best of luck to you all still in the process

Hey congrats to you!!!

It is reassuring to know that the Stanford adcom really is working this year, even if it is just for a few of you guys :D

Treg

thanks, Treg, congrats to you on all your acceptances. I hope it's not too hard to choose where to attend...you have some great places under your belt.

Don't get discouraged, Stanford is slow, but once they get to you, I would not be surprised to hear that you will get an interview!

Best,

CW

Treg said:
Hey congrats to you!!!

It is reassuring to know that the Stanford adcom really is working this year, even if it is just for a few of you guys :D

Treg

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
why is it 09-10?

Maybe he is thinking of deferring? What luck!

What about me? What about me, Stanford!!!!!!! *wails in deep, guttural tone* Stanford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its cuz of stanford's whacky 5 year curriculum.

Congrats, CreativeWriter! Although I'm not sure if you're allowed to start these "Class of 2009" threads unless you're actually for sure going....

I'm so happy I'm not the only one anymore. Welcome to the club CreativeWriter.

Congrats to you, too

Yes, it's because the Stanford curriculum could be finished in either 4 or 5 yrs!

Twiceturns, where are you from? I am SO elated to have this opportunity.

I am DEFINITELY going to Stanford, so I can start the thread! :)

twicetenturns said:
I'm so happy I'm not the only one anymore. Welcome to the club CreativeWriter.

Wow, congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back from them post-interview. That was one of the questions I forgot to ask: When do we hear back? So..I guess that question has been answered.

Again, CONGRATS!

FYI: Caveat....SU med students are pretty big burners in my experience. The 5th year is often taken smoking out in places like Costa Rica under the guise of a "tropical medicine" rotation. This is no big secret in the medical community. In fact, they pretty much supply the whole greek system. If that is your thing tho, enjoy.

LADoc00 said:
FYI: Caveat....SU med students are pretty big burners in my experience. The 5th year is often taken smoking out in places like Costa Rica under the guise of a "tropical medicine" rotation. This is no big secret in the medical community. In fact, they pretty much supply the whole greek system. If that is your thing tho, enjoy.

This is bad somehow? And what is "smoking out" ??

CreativeWriter said:
Congrats to you, too

Yes, it's because the Stanford curriculum could be finished in either 4 or 5 yrs!

Twiceturns, where are you from? I am SO elated to have this opportunity.

I am DEFINITELY going to Stanford, so I can start the thread! :)

Grew up in South Florida, currently pimping zebrafish in Boston to pass the time. Northern Cali is looking pretty nice compared to the -10 degrees we have over here.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:

Man, talk about sour grapes. It must be saying something if they can turn out such great physicians - amidst the haze that is. :laugh:

did they say at the interview how long they will be giving out interview invitations?

twicetenturns said:
Man, talk about sour grapes. It must be saying something if they can turn out such great physicians - amidst the haze that is. :laugh:

man, you are right. I'm a sour grape when it comes to stanford. They also rejected me when I applied for a Ph.D. (I ended up at Harvard.) I feel like I need to win the nobel or the lasker before I apply to any program at stanford (if there is a next time). :rolleyes:

That said, congrat to you and creative writers. Are you guys definitely turning down Cornell? Please, please, please :D

sweatybrain said:
man, you are right. I'm a sour grape when it comes to stanford. They also rejected me when I applied for a Ph.D. (I ended up at Harvard.) I feel like I need to win the nobel or the lasker before I apply to any program at stanford (if there is a next time). :rolleyes:

That said, congrat to you and creative writers. Are you guys definitely turning down Cornell? Please, please, please :D

Hey sweatybrain,

I know what you mean. I was also rejected from Stanford. Kinda hard not to be sad about that one. But, hey, you ended up at Harvard last time around, so that's pretty inspiring. Good luck!

Sparky

twicetenturns said:

Not sure about sour grapes as I actually went there, but can honestly say I didnt inhale, no really, I didnt. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Not sure about sour grapes as I actually went there, but can honestly say I didnt inhale, no really, I didnt. :laugh:

Sorry must've just misinterpreted the tone of your comment. Dang technology. :rolleyes:

ash2.jpg
twicetenturns said:
Sorry must've just misinterpreted the tone of your comment. Dang technology. :rolleyes:

Hey, huge congrats guys! When did you interview and how did you hear?

I interviewed Dec. 1st and heard by phone on 1/13

Good luck!!

Any thoughts on why it is the 20th of January, I was complete on the 16th of September, and I still don't have my interview offer (or God forbid it, my rejection!) What is the deal! I have very good stats, I am terribly diverse in all possible ways (trust me - all! Well, except the female thing). Why won't they interview me? Why, why, why!

My friend, Dean, sent me an Evite, and for a split second I thought it was the dean at Stanford! Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was an Evite to his birthday party. I don't want to go, anyway! I don't want to do anything till I get my Stanford interview invite. Stanford!!!!!!

kikkoman said:
Hey, huge congrats guys! When did you interview and how did you hear?

I interviewed on Dec 13th and heard last night by phone. :)

I know it's early, but anyone know what the revisit date is?

microTAS said:
I know it's early, but anyone know what the revisit date is?

It is on the weekend of April 21st. Anyone know if they will pay for it?

Those invited for an interview and/or accepted, did you all indicate the 'research' option in that now semi-infamous secondary question?

nona1 said:
Those invited for an interview and/or accepted, did you all indicate the 'research' option in that now semi-infamous secondary question?

I did. But emphasised in the essay that I wanted to do clinical research and teaching more than becoming a lab PI.

I am curious to know who's likely to join me at Stanford Med next fall! :love:

Got the waitlist letter today =[

Does anyone know how much movement there is off the list? Seems that there might be less than at other schools?

CreativeWriter said:
I am curious to know who's likely to join me at Stanford Med next fall! :love:

I interviewed 2/1 and find out either this Thursday night or the next if I'm in...I will keep you posted as soon as I hear the good news (please please please).

kikkoman said:
Got the waitlist letter today =[

Does anyone know how much movement there is off the list? Seems that there might be less than at other schools?

Kikko, when did you interview??

UCLAreject said:
Kikko, when did you interview??

Mid-december. I was reviewed in last week's committee meeting.

Good luck!

kikkoman said:
Mid-december. I was reviewed in last week's committee meeting.

Good luck!

Thanks, best of luck to you too.

Hey, so I interviewed at Stanford on Jan 18 and was accepted by phone on Jan 27. I'm curious to hear from other Stanford acceptees about your thoughts on whether to go there or not.

I grew up in MA, went to Harvard (graduated '02), and all my friends and family are on the east coast. I always dreamed of living in Cali, but now that I have the opportunity, I'm not sure if I want to live so far away from everyone I know. But then again, Stanford seems like an amazing school...

Thoughts?

Manana--

I'm in the same boat as you (living in cambridge, grew up here, went to school in CT at your rival), contemplating UCSF next fall, and 99% sure I'll go there. I'm down for the change...I spent a year in wyoming after grad in 03, and coming back here makes me realize what a small small place cambridge is, as special as it is, even though it thinks it is the center of the universe. California, and west coast medicine is a totally different deal. But I'm nervous too--really nervous...about being so far from my family, friends, support, etc. please send me a personal message if you want, and we can chat about it over email.

To all you other people heading to stanford next year, I hear SU and UCSF med students throw some wicked parties together, so I'll see you next fall!

B

MananaMan said:
Hey, so I interviewed at Stanford on Jan 18 and was accepted by phone on Jan 27. I'm curious to hear from other Stanford acceptees about your thoughts on whether to go there or not.

I grew up in MA, went to Harvard (graduated '02), and all my friends and family are on the east coast. I always dreamed of living in Cali, but now that I have the opportunity, I'm not sure if I want to live so far away from everyone I know. But then again, Stanford seems like an amazing school...

Thoughts?

today is Thursday...anyone got a call? :luck: :luck:

nope...what time do they usually call anyways???

So basically since I interviewed on 1/12 and haven't heard by now, I am waitlisted or rejected? Well, that's not so fun...

sra26 said:
So basically since I interviewed on 1/12 and haven't heard by now, I am waitlisted or rejected? Well, that's not so fun...

well if you haven't received a letter yet, there's still hope. maybe they are waiting to review other applications to make a decision. once they make a decision, they will inform you ASAP. so there's still HOPE!

they called me around 7-8PM West Coast time

best of luck

CreativeWriter said:
well if you haven't received a letter yet, there's still hope. maybe they are waiting to review other applications to make a decision. once they make a decision, they will inform you ASAP. so there's still HOPE!

they called me around 7-8PM West Coast time

best of luck

Thanks for the encouragement!

did you guys who were acccepted get a call from your interviewer? i got the call from the dean and then another one from my interviewer a week later. the interviewer was very nice and said all kinds of nice stuff over the phone :) . i was just wondering if this was stanford's policy, b/c none of my other interviewers ever bothered to call me.

btw, stanford's turnaround time post-interview varies greatly by candidate. some people get in 2 weeks post-interview, but others don't hear back till 1.5 months later.

Hey!

That's so true. it totally varies. My turn around was 1 mo, but once again, I interviewed on their second official day of interviews. I did get a call by Dr. Gabriel Garcia, and two weeks later, my interviewer also called me. What I found out is that they get an email with the name of the students who have been interviewed by a given faculty and that they have been accepted. He's really nice. It's kind of weird, as I thought he's an dingus...but go figure!

krelian, are you for sure going to stanford? pvt me!

krelian said:
did you guys who were acccepted get a call from your interviewer? i got the call from the dean and then another one from my interviewer a week later. the interviewer was very nice and said all kinds of nice stuff over the phone :) . i was just wondering if this was stanford's policy, b/c none of my other interviewers ever bothered to call me.

btw, stanford's turnaround time post-interview varies greatly by candidate. some people get in 2 weeks post-interview, but others don't hear back till 1.5 months later.
:luck: :luck:

So I'm leaving soon for San Fran . . . interview is on Tuesday. Any last-minute pointers? This is my last interview and it's Stanford so I am excited for many different reasons. Thanks for any help!

Congrats to MananaMan, Creative Writer, and all others who got into Stanford!!!

Stanford is a great place... I went there for undergrad and work with Dr. Braddock (he teaches the medical ethics class for years one and two). The area is beautiful as is the campus. I’m from the Midwest (Chicago and Milwaukee) and I totally recommend going to California. I’ve been here for 6 years and I won’t leave. ;-) I know a lot of medical students at Stanford and they are great – smart kids who love what they do and aren’t afraid to have fun. And school is HUGE on diversity, so you will meet a wide variety of people! Really, I have nothing but positive things to say about Stanford—even if I can’t comment on most of the medical school faculty (besides Dr Braddock and the woman who taught Biochem). I hope you two decide to go!

So I interviewed on Tues, Jan 18 and I found out via the phone at about 6pm East Coast Time on Thurs, Jan 27. I got a packet in the mail about a week after that.

So can class of 09-10 wannabe's post too! Besides my own personal list of reasons why I want to go to Stanford, my wife has an awesome job just a few exits down the 280. Come on Dr. Garcia - give me an interview!

Does anyone know? it's my first choice but i haven't received an interview yet. do you think it's pushing it at this point or is there still time? :scared:

This entire process is soooo random... i've been interviewed at schools like harvard and vanderbilt but at the same time rejected from almost all my back-up schools before even being invited to an interview. i just don't get it... it feels like the adcom just loves to play eenie-meenie-moo...

SmartyPants said:
Does anyone know? it's my first choice but i haven't received an interview yet. do you think it's pushing it at this point or is there still time? :scared:

This entire process is soooo random... i've been interviewed at schools like harvard and vanderbilt but at the same time rejected from almost all my back-up schools before even being invited to an interview. i just don't get it... it feels like the adcom just loves to play eenie-meenie-moo...

I hear ya...I did also interview at Harvard, but did not receive interviews from UChicago, UPenn, or Yale, but have been accepted at Stanford and UMich, so it's completely random.

Definitely don't give up. Be patient. they will be interviewing until April, right before their admit weekend, which starts on April 22...so you still have almost two months....

to all the other accepted students, did you guys join the email list for the incoming class? :love: :luck:

i interviewed earlier this wk; did you guys write a thank you letter to dr. garcia as well; is it standard to write thank you's to the dean of admissions? thanks!