Stanford School of Medicine Class of 2009-10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to express my happiness for Stanford Med!
The Admit Weekend was a blast, and I hope many of the accepted students decide to attend there! and for those of you W/L, don't give up hope yet...there were 2 students pulled off the W/L the day before Admit Weekend...also many students are going to choose other institutions over Stanford Med...

:clap: :love: STANFORD MED CLASS 09-10 :love: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

yah i got the feeling from admit day that there quite a few people undecided about where they will end up; the popular alternate seems to be some school named harvard. So there is perhaps hope for waitlisters unless they overadmit initially expecting statistically to lose x number of candidates
stanford is a pretty awesome place; i met quite a few interesting people during the admit wknd that were all down to earth. Cant wait to start!

oh hey, i couldnt make it to the lyman party; how was it?

we'll probably lose some to ucsf as well. both are fine schools too. good luck with decisions everyone; i've decided on stanford :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Congrats on your decisions to go to Stanford! You'll love it there.

I was back visiting a week and a half ago, and it made me SO homesick! I had forgotten how beautiful the area was until I made it back there after being gone for a year!

Let me know if you guys have any other questions, although I suspect most of them have been answered at the re-visit weekend.

:D

:laugh:

oh hey, i couldnt make it to the lyman party; how was it?[/QUOTE]

:clap: :clap:

It's fun...I got a bit out of control dancing, and people took lots of pictures...so I have a feeling that those pics will be haunting me forever.

Hybrant, you are set on Stanford...pvt me...I want to know if we met. My real name is kind of obvious.
I met MicrosTA, and he's hella cool. Midwest in the house! Are MSTP students doing rotations this summer? let me know.i plan on being around the area during the summer....

holla!

Gabi_MD said:
It's fun...I got a bit out of control dancing, and people took lots of pictures...so I have a feeling that those pics will be haunting me forever.

hah! another admit was a bit out of control on the dance floor at blue chalk...with a first year!! :laugh: they'll never live that down.

if you took pics this weekend could you email them to the list or put them on a website and email the link? we have to keep the pics for future blackmailing possibilities. muahaha!

it was great meeting everyone this weekend!

Wish I coulda been there... looking forward to meeting you all in august!

kgm4 said:
hah! another admit was a bit out of control on the dance floor at blue chalk...with a first year!! :laugh: they'll never live that down.

if you took pics this weekend could you email them to the list or put them on a website and email the link? we have to keep the pics for future blackmailing possibilities. muahaha!

it was great meeting everyone this weekend!

Hey...it's all about diversity of talents. :laugh: :D

I am going to try to upload some pictures or send them via the email list...but you know how to get a hold of me....

lata,

CreativeWriter said:
I have been accepted -- wo hooooooooo!

Go Stanford!

:love: :love:

:D :D

Best of luck to you all still in the process

Congratulations to you and everyone who got in !
I'm thinking of applying in future years. Does anyone know how many california residents they take vs non-residents? :)

omam said:
Congratulations to you and everyone who got in !
I'm thinking of applying in future years. Does anyone know how many california residents they take vs non-residents? :)

Because it's a private school, they are not limited to only CA residents. However, I would say roughly 20-30% of the people there (or even more!) were from CA....

definitely apply!!! :love: :love:

By the way, anyone heard ....there should have been a meeting this week regarding the last group of interviewees?

also, there will be a W/L movement, so there's hope....

are they done with interviews? some people have come off the waitlist already... anyone have any more recent info?

congrats to everyone and :luck:

iheartu said:
are they done with interviews? some people have come off the waitlist already... anyone have any more recent info?

Heya, I guess there are a few of us out there still!

Do you remember if they said that they usually over-admit, expecting X people to drop? I think that's what they said in the after-interview meeting with the admissions counselor.

pianodude said:
Heya, I guess there are a few of us out there still!

Do you remember if they said that they usually over-admit, expecting X people to drop? I think that's what they said in the after-interview meeting with the admissions counselor.

i guess this year they did over-admit, but not as much as in the past...maybe about 10-20 extra, but there's a lot of people choosing between Stanford and other top-schools, with full-tuitions, etc....so I am sure there will be W/L movement. You should definitely write a letter of intent...I think this year, it may make a difference....but that's just my 0.02 cents...keep in mind, I am not an admissions officer, just a friendly Stanford student :) :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
iheartu said:

they were done last Friday, the same day Admit weekend started...kind of weird :rolleyes:

I interviewed at Stanford at the first of April. Has anyone else who interviewed during those last few weeks heard anything, either positive or negative news of their status? Cassandra suggested we would hear in 2-3 weeks, and tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since I interviewed, and I haven't heard a thing.

Thanks.

downdog said:
I interviewed at Stanford at the first of April. Has anyone else who interviewed during those last few weeks heard anything, either positive or negative news of their status? Cassandra suggested we would hear in 2-3 weeks, and tomorrow it will be 4 weeks since I interviewed, and I haven't heard a thing.

Thanks.

i interviewed 2nd week of april and got a one-week turnaround (waitlisted)...
so...you should call and find out what's going on

another issue -- i talked to juhn on my interview day, and he said that they didn't consider LOI's...was he lying?!?!!! :confused:

downdog said:

Thanks.

definitely call. my decision took so long because a recommender was late in turning in her evaluation. sometimes prodding is needed. good luck!

thanks for the input. i will call in the morning. :)

just checking this hella cool thread!

GuyLaroche is coming to Stanford! Wheeeeeeee!

Gabi_MD said:
email me. I can't belive it?

crap! the night before last i received an email from him saying that he would be attending stanford due to amazing circumstances/support, but when i got home from work the next day he had written again saying that his advisor gave him hell and duke would only let him graduate with a master's if he didn't stay. boo. now i am sad! sorry to disappoint...

hi all... I just got off the waitlist recently. I am considering going to stanford med school right now. For those who received financial aid package from multiple schools, how does stanford's one compare to other schools?

bhp said:
hi all... I just got off the waitlist recently. I am considering going to stanford med school right now. For those who received financial aid package from multiple schools, how does stanford's one compare to other schools?

Hey, and congrats. You should totally come to Stanford Med! It's going to be a wonderful class!

I did receive varying financial aid packages, from other schools. The thing you need to realize is the following:
1. Stanford does not give out merit based scholarships
2. Everything is based on need.
3. if you don't qualify for need based grants, you may be able to get the Middle Income Assitantship.
4. There are tons and tons of way of funding your medical school education, w/o using loans all four years. Med scholars, TAships, RAships, etc...look into them, and ask Abera about them!

if you have any specific questions, email me....

by the way, where are you holding an acceptance now?

hey there- so i recently got pulled off the waitlist and i'm not sure which way i'm leaning right now.

would anyone be wiling to pm me what sold them on stanford after the second look weekend- since i didn't get to go.

plus- i'd really really love to hear from anyone who decided upenn v. stanford?

thanks!

Do you know what position you were on the waitlist or how many people go off the waitlist? Also did you send in extra stuff (extra LoRs, intent, etc.)?

I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything about the waitlist- I assume I wasn't in the first batch? But, I called them two weeks ago and they didn't tell me anything and then they called yesterday. I did not send in anything extra to my application and did not send in final transcripts or a letter of interest/intent.

Thanks for the one pm it was helpful- i'd love more?

Also, um.. does anyone know when orientation would start? thank you soo much!

sockandmittens said:
hey there- so i recently got pulled off the waitlist and i'm not sure which way i'm leaning right now.

would anyone be wiling to pm me what sold them on stanford after the second look weekend- since i didn't get to go.

thanks!

Hey there...congrats! choose Stanford, you won't regret it!

I just pvt messg you, so feel free to contact me! I am going to Stanford! :love:

sockandmittens said:
Also, um.. does anyone know when orientation would start? thank you soo much!

sweat (outdoors trip) is august 24-28? orientation is august 29-31. class starts sept 1. correct me if i am wrong, gabi.

i can definitely tell you that we are going to have an awesome class! come to stanford!

sockandmittens said:

thanks!

I recently got pulled from the waitlist as well. I would choose Stanford over Penn, but that's because I prefer to be on the West Coast. Good luck with your decision!

criminallyinane said:
I recently got pulled from the waitlist as well. I would choose Stanford over Penn, but that's because I prefer to be on the West Coast. Good luck with your decision!

Hey there! Congrats!!!! I am happy for you. Where are you from? pvt me, or email me!!!

sweat (outdoors trip) is august 24-28? orientation is august 29-31. class starts sept 1. correct me if i am wrong, gabi.
yuppppppp, you are RIGHT

i can definitely tell you that we are going to have an awesome class! come to stanford!

I AGREEEEEEEEEEEE :love: :love:

Plus the Bay Area kicks ass, over Philly....

congrats to the new admits! did you get a phone call from dr. garcia notifying you or did the letter just come in the mail? (i currently don't have access to my mail) how long do you have to decide?? thanks!

Thanks again Gabi (I pm'd you back.) I am really psyched! Shocked and somewhat discombobulated because I didn't expect to be switching coasts all of a sudden in the middle of the summer, but I am so happy to be going to Stanford :) and living on the best coast.

PS- I got called a couple days ago and told them I would decide within the week.