Program-Specific Info / Q's Stanbridge University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I was just scheduled for an interview on April 21st. I guess this is the last day of interviews. Is anyone else scheduled that day? Or if you have already had your interview would you mind giving me some pointers? I've seen on a couple forums where people mentioned the types of questions they ask. But I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the interview questions and how it's set up? I want to be well prepared. Thanks everyone and good luck to you all who are applying this year!
If your interview is in person, the interview starts with picking random questions out of a box and giving your answer. In my interview we were able to do three rounds, this could vary on how long yours and the other interviewers answers are. Then, there are two group activities that don't require any preparation they just want to see how you work in a group, and lastly there's a small amount of time for questions and the final writing sample. Pretty laid back! As far as preparing for the interview, I'd recommend knowing your strengths and weaknesses, why you chose OT, and why you'd make a great OT I think those will prepare you to answer a lot of core questions. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I was just scheduled for an interview on April 21st. I guess this is the last day of interviews. Is anyone else scheduled that day? Or if you have already had your interview would you mind giving me some pointers? I've seen on a couple forums where people mentioned the types of questions they ask. But I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me the interview questions and how it's set up? I want to be well prepared. Thanks everyone and good luck to you all who are applying this year!
I had my interview last week. Some questions they asked were the following:

What is your experience with people who are disabled, mentally ill, or diseases?
How would your friends describe you?
What is health, wellness, and lifestyle to you?
Why do you want to attend Stanbridge?

I would also recommend having one or two questions for the end. Just take 5-10min to go over their website and look at their different programs/associations and ask about whichever thing you think looks interesting. Besides that just be yourself and relax. It was actually quite a fun experience! You'll do great!

Reactions: 1 user
If any current MOT students at Stanbridge can please post their stats I think that would be really helpful! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an acceptance into Stanbridge today for Fall 2017. I was very surprised because they said they wouldn't tell us until May 1st! I thought I'd give you my stats and experience during the interview. Hopefully it helps! Feel free to ask me questions.

I completed my undergrad in Oregon. I work at a non-profit serving seniors and people with disabilities for the past 4 years. I have been a Certified Nursing Assistant for the past 6 years mainly working in post surgical rehabs.
GPA: 3.56
OTCAS pre-req GPA: 3.34
OT Shadow hours: 30.5
Volunteer hours in the community: 3,000+
GRE: Q 152, V 156, Wr 4.5

I interviewed on February 28th and loved it. I got a great vibe from the school and the staff. My 3 questions I drew out of the box were:
1. Why do you want to be an Occupational Therapist?
2. How have you made an impact in your community? (or something along those lines)
3. What is something you consider yourself to be an expert in?

I then did a group activity of designed an event to raise money for an organization, put together a Lego structure from an example, and a writing sample.
I applied to 4 programs. I interviewed at 2, wait listed for 3 and accepted into 1. Good luck everyone! I know how stressful and hard the process is.

I just received an acceptance into Stanbridge today for Fall 2017. I was very surprised because they said they wouldn't tell us until May 1st! I thought I'd give you my stats and experience during the interview. Hopefully it helps! Feel free to ask me questions.

I completed my undergrad in Oregon. I work at a non-profit serving seniors and people with disabilities for the past 4 years. I have been a Certified Nursing Assistant for the past 6 years mainly working in post surgical rehabs.

I interviewed on February 28th and loved it. I got a great vibe from the school and the staff. My 3 questions I drew out of the box were:
2. How have you made an impact in your community? (or something along those lines)

I then did a group activity of designed an event to raise money for an organization, put together a Lego structure from an example, and a writing sample.
I applied to 4 programs. I interviewed at 2, wait listed for 3 and accepted into 1. Good luck everyone! I know how stressful and hard the process is.

Wow congratulations! Your application seems like it was pretty strong. Did they email you your acceptance letter? Will you be attending their program? If so, what do you think about their accreditation?

Thank you for sharing :)

Congrats! I recieved my acceptance letter this afternoon and will be attending their program!

My stats were not as impressive as I decided on my career path rather late in my college career.

I completed my undergrad at Cal State Fullerton and have a little over 100 hours volunteering at two different locations.

If any current MOT students at Stanbridge can please post their stats I think that would be really helpful! Thanks in advance :)

I received my acceptance today as well. I didn't have the greatest stats either, but i worked really hard to get the scores I did. So i'm happy it all worked out!

Pre req gpa: 3.4-3.6
Gpa: 3.2
Major gpa: 3.6

GRE: V 149 Q 145 A 4

2 1/2 years working at a special needs school as an assistant teacher
President of the psychology club, psi chi and other activities

They're letting people know already ?!? AHHH the anxiety persists

They're letting people know already ?!? AHHH the anxiety persists
Yeah I was surprised to get the email. They told me I'd know around May 1st so it was very quick after my interview!

Does anyone know what the tuition is for stanbridge? I can't find it on their website.

Is anyone planning to move out toward the school for those who are attending this upcoming fall? I'm looking into either commuting from home which is about an hour or moving closer. Love your thoughts!

Is anyone planning to move out toward the school for those who are attending this upcoming fall? I'm looking into either commuting from home which is about an hour or moving closer. Love your thoughts!

I'm from Long island, so i'll definitely being moving there! I was curious if anyone was looking into rooming together. I saw there are houses to rent near newport beach with like 4 bedrooms and not too bad of a rent when split.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance last Friday! However, I will not be attending. Seems like a nice program, but more than I'm willing to spend.

Congrats! I recieved my acceptance letter this afternoon and will be attending their program!

My stats were not as impressive as I decided on my career path rather late in my college career.

I completed my undergrad at Cal State Fullerton and have a little over 100 hours volunteering at two different locations.

I received my acceptance today as well. I didn't have the greatest stats either, but i worked really hard to get the scores I did. So i'm happy it all worked out!

Pre req gpa: 3.4-3.6
Gpa: 3.2
Major gpa: 3.6

GRE: V 149 Q 145 A 4

2 1/2 years working at a special needs school as an assistant teacher
President of the psychology club, psi chi and other activities

Congrats you both!! :D

Just wondering when you both had your interviews? I did mine on March 24th through skype, so it's making me really nervous!! Thanks :)

I'm from Long island, so i'll definitely being moving there! I was curious if anyone was looking into rooming together. I saw there are houses to rent near newport beach with like 4 bedrooms and not too bad of a rent when split.
Hey congrats! I would be so down for rooming! I'm moving from Oregon so I'll definitely need a place!

I did my interview back in January! Hang in there!

thanks so much, waiting is always hard!

Hey congrats! I would be so down for rooming! I'm moving from Oregon so I'll definitely need a place!

When did you do your interview? I don't know if it means I've been rejected since I didn't get a call from them :(

Just wondering when you both had your interviews? I did mine on March 24th through skype, so it's making me really nervous!! Thanks :)
My interview was March 24th as well. They told me we were the second to last interviews so they had another session the following week I believe. I thought they said we would hear back starting May 1, but maybe I misunderstood and they mean we would hear back BY May 1...? Keeping my fingers crossed for your acceptance! I'm sure it's on the way!

My interview was March 24th as well. They told me we were the second to last interviews so they had another session the following week I believe. I thought they said we would hear back starting May 1, but maybe I misunderstood and they mean we would hear back BY May 1...? Keeping my fingers crossed for your acceptance! I'm sure it's on the way!

thanks!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm guessing they called to inform you?

I'm going to start a facebook group for our new cohort!

I'll try to have it up by tonight. We can figure out rooming situations and so forth ! :)

My interview was march 24th as well!

I made a facebook group for our cohort! It's not letting me paste the link for the group. So if anyone is interested in joining, PM me and I'll send you a link to my facebook. Add me on there and I will add you to the group :)

Does anyone know how many people they will be accepting?

Does anyone recall what Stanbridge said regarding their program being nationally accredited, but not regionally accredited and how this might affect us in the future if we decide to do a bridge OTD program?

Does anyone recall what Stanbridge said regarding their program being nationally accredited, but not regionally accredited and how this might affect us in the future if we decide to do a bridge OTD program?
From what I've heard through other students, it could be difficult to transfer credits over. So it's important to know more or less what OTD programs you're looking into and shoot them an email to see if they'd accept it.

For future employment purposes though, it should be fine.

Has anyone else received an early acceptance? I know they said to wait til May 1st but I see that some people have already been accepted as well.

Has anyone else received an early acceptance? I know they said to wait til May 1st but I see that some people have already been accepted as well.
Yes, I heard back on Monday! I think there's a good chance that they will notify everyone before May 1.

To those wondering about their accreditation- this is from another thread:

I reached out to one of the OT graduates from Stanbridge and she said she has no problem finding work. But yeah the fact that they're not regionally accredited is one of my concerns as well. I wonder if they will be regionally accredited anytime soon? Also nervous and excited about my interview this Friday. I'm doing a skype interview.

Hi mc3925,

I'm a current MSOT student from Stanbridge and I was reading that you and a couple of prospect students are worried about the regional accreditation. I've brought this topic up to the professors and the regional accreditation does not affect job opportunities. The main difference between regional and national accreditation is the transfer of class credits. Stanbridge University is accredited nationally by Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE). I was on campus when ACOTE was accrediting our school and when we got the news we were accredited nationally. In the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) states that some doctorate programs require regionally accreditation BUT if the school does not have regional accreditation, the ACOTE will determine your doctoral degree will review your process [Source: AOTA, (p. 5)]. If you are planning on going for your doctorate, then look into the schools that you want to go to and see if they require regional accreditation.

Also I just finished my fieldwork 2A and all the OTs I've talked to stated that employers are only look for three things: 1) if you are registered and licensed to practice, 2) your experience in the setting (pediatrics, outpatient/inpatient, etc...)., and 3) your availability. They do not really look at the school you come from or if it is accredited (not that I have hear of). Also some of my classmates got job offerings after they finished their fieldwork. Additionally, occupational therapist are in high demand so I would not be worried about finding a job (I already have recruiters reaching out to me about job opportunities).

If you are trying to get a doctorate, a doctorate program requires you to conduct your own research study or project (which is similar to the thesis research/projects we do at Stanbridge). Some of the OTs I have talked to stated that there is no increase in pay just because you have a doctorate. Having a doctorate may be helpful if you plan on teaching in a OT program or if you want to be called Doctor. Stanbridge MSOT program does have a requirement to certain amount of professors with PhDs or doctorates versus having a BA, BS, or Masters to teach. If I remember correctly, 75% professors teaching need to have PhD or doctorate to hire other 25% of OTs with only their BA, BS, or Masters). There is talk going around that the profession of OT may bump up their requirement from a masters to a doctorate. As long as you graduate and get licensed/registered before the OT profession changes their requirement to a doctorate, you are in the clear. :)

I hope you and other prospective students found this helpful! Good luck and I hope everyone's interview goes well! :)

So I had my interview yesterday through skype and both of the faculty members interviewing me were really nice.

I asked them about regional accreditation and they reassured me that it will not affect job prospects, as students who graduated from the program never had issues with it. They told me the most important thing is to sit for the licensing exam. Also they mentioned they're in the process of applying for regional accreditation and it's under review right now so by the time this upcoming cohort graduate, it should already be regionally accredited - which is great for those who are worried.

Hope this helps! :)

Does anyone know how many people they interviewed for fall? I know they only accept 32-34 students each cycle...

Does anyone know how many people they interviewed for fall? I know they only accept 32-34 students each cycle...
Not sure how many were interviewed, but they told us they are accepting 64 students for the Fall Cohort.

Talked to admission and was informed that Stanbridge is in the process of receiving regional accreditation. So they should receive it in the next year or two. Hope this helps

Not sure how many were interviewed, but they told us they are accepting 64 students for the Fall Cohort.
I talked to an admissions counselor and they did confirm that they're accepting 64 students... he also said they interviewed around 250-300 students

Just received an email from Stanbridge and I got placed on the waitlist and I'm not sure how many people are turning down / accepting their offers? More waiting to come :(

Just received an email from Stanbridge and I got placed on the waitlist and I'm not sure how many people are turning down / accepting their offers? More waiting to come :(
Do you know what number you are on the list? An admissions counselor told me they utilize the waitlist a lot!

Last edited:

I was placed on the waitlist yesterday as well. Hopefully we hear back soon!

I was placed on the waitlist yesterday as well. Hopefully we hear back soon!

Do you know what number you are on the list? An admissions counselor told me they utilize the waitlist a lot!

Did any of your advisors tell you what number you are on the waitlist? My advisor was kind enough to call me after getting my email but she said she doesn't have access to the waitlist, so she couldn't tell me how many people are on the waitlist either. At this point I don't even know if I should be hopeful or just move on? =/

Just wondering if anyone got off the waitlist? Or if anyone knows what number you are?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything from them yet. how about you?
I called my admissions rep a few weeks ago and he said there's about 62 people on the waitlist and if you're not numbers 1-10 on the list then to basically look somewhere else

I haven't heard anything from them yet. how about you?
I called my admissions rep a few weeks ago and he said there's about 62 people on the waitlist and if you're not numbers 1-10 on the list then to basically look somewhere else

No I haven't heard anything either... Probably thinking of just moving on at this point?

Did your admission rep tell you what number you are on the waitlist? Because mine said she didn't know, but I would really really like to know.

Thanks!

No I haven't heard anything either... Probably thinking of just moving on at this point?

Did your admission rep tell you what number you are on the waitlist? Because mine said she didn't know, but I would really really like to know.

Thanks!

Thanks!
He said he didn't know what number I was but they contact numbers 1-10 usually. Ive decided to attend a different program in July anyways. Good luck!

Just gave up my seat so someone will be accepted from the waitlist! :)

has anyone received an update about the waitlist for this program?

Not at all, I don't think the program is full based on the facebook page? But I wonder if they're utilizing the waitlist at all... I wish they would at least let us know when we'll hear back or what # we are on the waitlist.