Sports letter of rec or letter of good standing from PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reboa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which kind of letter do most programs require? I’ve seen a few request a letter of good standing and most don’t specify they need a PD letter on their site. Does it matter if I don’t get a letter from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Which kind of letter do most programs require? I’ve seen a few request a letter of good standing and most don’t specify they need a PD letter on their site. Does it matter if I don’t get a letter from them?
It has been a few years since I applied but most programs wanted to see proof that first you were a good physician in your field then commitment to sports. I think a letter in your specialty from you PD would be ideal.
I had a letter from:
1. My PD
2. PD of PCSM program (I was able to do a rotation/audition at that program)
3. Sports trained Ortho surgeon.
Unlike residency interviews, most people that interviewed me for fellowship had read all of my letters, and had specific questions. In fact a lot knew my letter writers and my PD. Sports is a small world.

Reactions: 1 user
Letter from PD is required. Another from a Sports Doc is a must-have. The third can be anyone that can speak to your skill, work ethic, patient interactions etc. If its a sports doc (mine was), great, if its someone just from your primary specialty I know people that have had that at matched well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did three letters: PD, PCSM faculty I’ve rotated with, and my resident faculty advisor.

Most will want/require a letter from your residency PD so I would go ahead and get that one locked down. Otherwise get a letter from a faculty member/attending that you are close with regardless of sub-specialty and one from a sports doc if possible.

I like to see letters from the following people and would rank the impact based on this order as well -
1. Residency Program Director
2. Faculty Advisor
3. Sports Medicine/Ortho Attending
4. Any Physician who knows the applicant really well

The caveat to this is that depending on the content of the letter, it is entirely possible that it could be the most influential letter of all regardless of the writers credentials. I suggest getting a letter from whomever will give the greatest information.