spoiler: nbme 18 question about pt with stridor, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontwantaids

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, here's an nbme question that I'm confused with: a 68 y/o male with long-standing h/o htn, now presents with 3 days h/o of chest pain, visible pulsation around manibrium, a murmur in right second intercoastal space, horseness, stridor, dysphagia, nonproductive cough, bp 160/70, lungs clear, displacement of trachea to right. People in different forums are suggesting that it's aortic aneurysm. But isn't it aortic stenosis? Aortic aneurysm can cause a regurgitation murmur in left sternal border; I didn't know that a thoracic aortic aneurysm causes visible pulsation; aortic aneurysm without dissection doesn't cause chest pain (this patient doesn't have shock and thus no dissection); i'm thinking that aortic stenosis is causing dilation of left atrium and thus dysphagia, stridor; also explains the chest pain. What do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

That widened pulse pressure is the big giveaway that it's aortic regurtitation
that's right, thanks! btw, his bp is actually 160/94 (I made the mistake of saying 160/70). I also found in medscape that when AR is due to aortic dissection, it causes murmur in right 2nd intercoastal space (instead of the usual left parasternum).