Specialty Programs and Tuitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an incoming D1 student and i don't know much about the specialty programs except that they are 2-6yr long. During those years, do the students ever get paid? It's ridiculous to not be able to pay off the loan you accumulated from 4 years of dental school even after you graduate from it. Are they asking us to pile up MORE LOANS??? Thinking about that makes me wonder if I should even consider getting a specialtyT.T

Members don't see this ad.

Majority of Pedo & OMS programs pay you because they are based out of hospitals. Most 6-year OMS programs will make you pay for the med school tuition. There are some school based Pedo programs that charge tuition.

Majority of Ortho, Perio, Prostho, and Endo programs do not pay you because they are based in dental schools. You will have to pay tuition at these programs. There are a handful of these specialty programs based in hopsitals where you will get paid. Some school-based programs might give you a stipend to offset tuition. But this is not the norm. Be prepared to pay dental-school style full tuition.

Depending on the intensity and time commitment of your program, you can moonlight as a GP to bring home extra money. The pay is much better than folding sweaters at the GAP.

Thanx for explaining things in detail!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a related question. To make it fairer, do residents who pay no tuition or get paid commit medical resident-like hours (60-80 hours/week) while a resident who pays dental school style tuition works normal hours (40 hours/week)?

the time commitment has nothing to do with whether you get paid or pay tuition. it has to do more with the specialty, and the specific program you go to. OMFS will have crazy hours. Prosth will have crazy hours (labwork, after clinic). Pedo has standard hours, but then add on-call duty, which varies by program. Ortho, perio, endo should have standard hours, plus your typical studying and literature review. These are just generalities. My friend attends an ortho program where he puts in 60+ hours per week, whereas a friend at another ortho program leaves early on a frequent basis, to go golfing.

I have a related question. To make it fairer, do residents who pay no tuition or get paid commit medical resident-like hours (60-80 hours/week) while a resident who pays dental school style tuition works normal hours (40 hours/week)?

What is OMFS "crazy hours"? Could you give me a number? Thank you for your response BTW, it's extremely helpful.

What is OMFS "crazy hours"? Could you give me a number? Thank you for your response BTW, it's extremely helpful.

most i have heard is a guy working 138 hrs. in a week.

Are you two serious? Are there even that many hours in a week?