NHSC vs specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beakdoc

Reaction score
With the soaring tuition costs, I find myself having trouble picking the best route that would allow me to dig myself out of debt faster at the end of school.

I would very much enjoy working as a GP but I am also attracted to specialty options such as perio and OMFS.
Obviously, for killing debt as a GP, going the NHSC route would be a decent option. However, I am concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot if I postpone specializing in order to commit to 4 years of GP service.

Would I be able to start residency for perio or OMFS after working 4 years as a GP?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, surgery programs won’t except someone straight from practice or a GPR. They usually want you to do a non-categorical year at a program before applying. But of course, there have been exceptions.

Reactions: 1 user
With the soaring tuition costs, I find myself having trouble picking the best route that would allow me to dig myself out of debt faster at the end of school.

I would very much enjoy working as a GP but I am also attracted to specialty options such as perio and OMFS.
Obviously, for killing debt as a GP, going the NHSC route would be a decent option. However, I am concerned that I may be shooting myself in the foot if I postpone specializing in order to commit to 4 years of GP service.

Would I be able to start residency for perio or OMFS after working 4 years as a GP?
Are you already in dental school?

Reactions: 1 user