Dual specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PEDOtoothfairy

Reaction score
Hi,
What are some dual specialties that go well together after pedo for someone interested in continuing their education? Ortho and Pedo or OS and Pedo? I have a strong interest in the medical aspects of dentistry and also ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

Is your plan to go into academics?

Pathology / Radiology

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology / Radiology
The only specialty that would even make remote sense for pedo to do (as well as some others) would be to do dental anesthesia.

It makes zero sense to even suggest pedo/OS.

Reactions: 1 users
The only specialty that would even make remote sense for pedo to do (as well as some others) would be to do dental anesthesia.

You are right!
I missed the PEDO part of the original post!!!!
(That what happens when I read this stuff between patients.)

Pediatrics/anesthesia, although I’m not a fan of the operator/anesthetist model. But I know a couple people who did both specialties

There was a prosth/ perio slot at the program I went to. Always thought that made sense and seemed practical.

I have a great professor who did endo and peds! Not sure how practical that is - obviously they are in academics

Last edited:
Thank you! Why does ortho not make sense?
Most orthodontists choose the field bc they don’t ever want to pick up a handpiece or perform any invasive procedure the rest of their lives. The beauty of ortho lies in the lack of liability. I’m not saying there isn’t any liability, but it’s significantly reduced. They sleep well at night knowing they didn’t fill a nerve canal with endo sealer etc.

From a business standpoint you’d be stocking your office with a ton supplies that would effectively raise your overhead. That’s not good.

Cost of tuition to specialize in both areas would be high. Loss of opportunity cost.

Assistants. The bane of all providers. Most assistants don’t like to do everything. And hate doing multiple specialties. At least the high productive and good ones say this. They are very skilled in one particular field.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am considering it, but I am still not too sure.

I think anesthesia makes the most sense. My wife is a pediatric dentist and she doesn’t want to do any anesthesia at all, personal preference of course. She’d rather hire a DA or an MD anesthesiologist to come in and do it.

None of the other specialties really make a lot of sense in my opinion. I personally don’t believe the time you take to do another specialty is worth it in the long run and you’re losing out on at least 2-3 years of private practice or academic based income.

OS and peds would be pointless. If you wanted to work with kids just do an additional year of peds craniomaxillofacial. Just a weird pairing. I’m not even sure what your clinical practice would look like with peds/OS.

People do peds ortho, but talking to enough people in both specialties most would discourage it. If you’re doing primarily peds then your ortho patient base will basically only be your peds patients, I’m not sure anyone would refer to you. Like someone above said, this means you’re stocking things that you won’t use all the time, training assistants, etc. it’s just not efficient. Most would recommend focusing on one.

Last edited:
I don’t think peds pairs well with other specialties. What are your career goals?

Doing pedo and anesthesia can work, but in all reality it also doesn’t make sense.
Not because one can’t do it effectively, or safely. Doing your own anesthesia will slow you down.

The pediatric patient will generally be intubated with a secure airway. Having to extubate and recover the patient on your own etc, will require a lot of time. That’s time you could have been treating other patients.

In OMFS we typically perform intravenous deep sedation/GA which has a rapid onset and rapid recovery. This does not slow us down and we are able to maintain a high volume template. It makes sense for us to utilize our anesthesia team model.

Reactions: 2 users

Now DA requires CBSE. Gotta grind to get in.

Now DA requires CBSE. Gotta grind to get in.
With the amount of money dental anesthesiologists get in private practice, their fully paid residency, and a truly fun rewarding job, it should easily become the second most hardest specialty to get into. Getting a competitive top score on the cbse is a no brainer for this specialty.

With the amount of money dental anesthesiologists get in private practice, their fully paid residency, and a truly fun rewarding job, it should easily become the second most hardest specialty to get into. Getting a competitive top score on the cbse is a no brainer for this specialty.
How much $?

OS and peds would be pointless. If you wanted to work with kids just do an additional year of peds craniomaxillofacial. Just a weird pairing. I’m not even sure what your clinical practice would look like with peds/OS.

People do peds ortho, but talking to enough people in both specialties most would discourage it. If you’re doing primarily peds then your ortho patient base will basically only be your peds patients, I’m not sure anyone would refer to you. Like someone above said, this means you’re stocking things that you won’t use all the time, training assistants, etc. it’s just not efficient. Most would recommend focusing on one.
Thanks! What programs offer peds craniomaxillofacial without MD/Ortho training?

Doing pedo and anesthesia can work, but in all reality it also doesn’t make sense.
Not because one can’t do it effectively, or safely. Doing your own anesthesia will slow you down.

The pediatric patient will generally be intubated with a secure airway. Having to extubate and recover the patient on your own etc, will require a lot of time. That’s time you could have been treating other patients.

In OMFS we typically perform intravenous deep sedation/GA which has a rapid onset and rapid recovery. This does not slow us down and we are able to maintain a high volume template. It makes sense for us to utilize our anesthesia team model.
Thanks! The only problem is that there are no anesthesiology programs on the West Coast. Some programs, like UCLA, offer dental anesthesiology under OMFS.

Thanks! The only problem is that there are no anesthesiology programs on the West Coast. Some programs, like UCLA, offer dental anesthesiology under OMFS.
I didn’t think UCLA trained residents in DA. It wasn’t on the match list

Thanks! What programs offer peds craniomaxillofacial without MD/Ortho training?
The MD is just an added credential, but fellowships accept single degree surgeons, most people applying just happen to be dual degree. Ortho training would be a complete waste since craniofacial fellowships are based on what you learned in your OMFS residency.