Specializing in Perio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariredso823

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m a dental student now. I am married with a small family right now. Does anyone know how competitive it is to get into Perio? I am probably ranked right in the middle of my class. I’d like to know how competitive it is and also how much more competitve are the programs that are free or have a stipend. I really enjoyed watching gum grafts and implant placement. I always liked the medical side of dentitstry more than teeth and esthetics. That’s why I think this might be a good fit for me. I’d love to do oral surgery but being middle of the class I have no chance. I have to take into account that I have a family, so I don’t necessarily want to go into crazy debt and make their lives harder. So if anyone knows more about this or is a periodontist or a resident please respond below and i’d love it if you could PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

From what i have read on sdn, if you have a pulse, they will accept you. lol. On a serious note, if you are interested in implants and soft tissue grafting, then take CE courses and save the $$ and time. More and more GPs are placing implants now. What do you think will happen to perio if majority of implants are placed by general dentist and difficulty ones that require large grafts are sent to OMFS?

If you are interested in the medicine side, you should definitely do OMFS - even with your class rank and family setup. There are many residents who have families and make it work. You can always do an internship to strengthen your application and apply.