Applying to Perio residency 4 years post school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obi-One

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently finishing up my military obligation and I wanted to get some information about the application process to Perio residency. I completed an AEGD with the military and got experience during my first tour working alongside a periodontist in placing implants and doing soft tissue grafting which made me fall in love with the specialty. So I have the following questions/ thoughts that I would love some help on:

I have also been moonlighting in a private practice for the past year, is that something that I should mention and would you recommend that I include a letter of rec from the owner?

As I understand it, I will need a dean's letter of good standing, 3 letters of rec, personal statement, CV, as well as completion of supplemental questions. When would you recommend that I start gathering everything, would this be before PASS opens up or after?

Also if I want to apply as early as possible, should I submit everything in the first few weeks of May?

Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have also been moonlighting in a private practice for the past year, is that something that I should mention and would you recommend that I include a letter of rec from the owner?
Maybe not... depends on the program's stance on moonlighting altogether

As I understand it, I will need a dean's letter of good standing, 3 letters of rec, personal statement, CV, as well as completion of supplemental questions. When would you recommend that I start gathering everything, would this be before PASS opens up or after?
You will want to have your CV and personal statement written up first. You’ll provide these things to the people you asked for LORs, including your Dean’s Letter, to help them write their letter. You will want to ask for these letters in advance of PASS opening up. Your LOR writers are busy and may take upwards of a month or two to write them.

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad :)
You will want to have your CV and personal statement written up first. You’ll provide these things to the people you asked for LORs, including your Dean’s Letter, to help them write their letter. You will want to ask for these letters in advance of PASS opening up. Your LOR writers are busy and may take upwards of a month or two to write them.

Big Hoss
Thank you so much for the information!! Would you recommend that I request the transcripts on the first day that PASS opens or should I request them beforehand? Would you recommend to submit everything within the first week or two of PASS opening up similar to how it was with dental school apps? Also any thoughts about having the moonlighting practice owner writing one of the letters of rec? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the information!! Would you recommend that I request the transcripts on the first day that PASS opens or should I request them beforehand? Would you recommend to submit everything within the first week or two of PASS opening up similar to how it was with dental school apps? Also any thoughts about having the moonlighting practice owner writing one of the letters of rec? Thank you!
I think you have to wait until PASS opens to submit your transcripts. I’d just aim to get everything submitted in the first month. When I applied to residency, I got one LOR from dental school and 2 LORs from people in the Navy. I probably wouldn’t have your moonlighting boss write one.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have to wait until PASS opens to submit your transcripts. I’d just aim to get everything submitted in the first month. When I applied to residency, I got one LOR from dental school and 2 LORs from people in the Navy. I probably wouldn’t have your moonlighting boss write one.

Big Hoss
Thank you! Another question if you don't mind. Looking back on my dental school GPA, it is not stellar, right under a 3.0 since I had a lot of family stuff going on during my last two years of school. I did complete the NAVY AEGD and am of course completing my service. I believe that my letters of recommendation will be very strong. Do you think that would be enough to make up for the subpar GPA?

Thank you! Another question if you don't mind. Looking back on my dental school GPA, it is not stellar, right under a 3.0 since I had a lot of family stuff going on during my last two years of school. I did complete the NAVY AEGD and am of course completing my service. I believe that my letters of recommendation will be very strong. Do you think that would be enough to make up for the subpar GPA?
I think you may need to do quite a lot of research. You mentioned you enjoy placing implants and soft tissue grafts, but besides doing surgery, are there other reasons why you're interested in perio? How do you feel about research? Do you read perio lit? After your AEGD, what else have you done related to the specialty? Taken any CE, given any presentations?

The sub 3.0 GPA is going to put you at a serious disadvantage. You're going to compete against people that most likely finished in the top 10-20% of their class. I recommend you check out the most recent MATCH statistics for more info. Your big advantage is your military experience, so use your experiences to stand out.

^I thought Perio is not that competitive in terms of class rank? There are plenty of people in top 50% of class that got matched into perio...?

^I thought Perio is not that competitive in terms of class rank? There are plenty of people in top 50% of class that got matched into perio...?
Best you can do is apply very broadly. I don’t know a ton about perio. But, I believe it’s not the most competitive specialty. I don’t know if any programs require the ADAT. Doing really well on the ADAT may help offset the low GPA. Something to consider.

Big Hoss

44% Match rate for 2023, and of course that's only for those that got an interview. No, it's not the most competitive specialty, but it's not a walk in the park either.

I think you may need to do quite a lot of research. You mentioned you enjoy placing implants and soft tissue grafts, but besides doing surgery, are there other reasons why you're interested in perio? How do you feel about research? Do you read perio lit? After your AEGD, what else have you done related to the specialty? Taken any CE, given any presentations?

The sub 3.0 GPA is going to put you at a serious disadvantage. You're going to compete against people that most likely finished in the top 10-20% of their class. I recommend you check out the most recent MATCH statistics for more info. Your big advantage is your military experience, so use your experiences to stand out.
After completing the AEGD I ended up getting stationed in a location that had a periodontist who took me under his wing. I ended up reading a lot of older and more recent Perio research studies, attended military Perio CE courses, and did numerous Perio cases under the periodontist's guidance. In a situation like mine, although most programs do not require the ADAT, would you recommend I take it in order to make up for the lower GPA? As for the programs that do not even look at the ADAT, would they consider it in my case or will they not even take a look at it?

Last edited:
44% Match rate for 2023, and of course that's only for those that got an interview. No, it's not the most competitive specialty, but it's not a walk in the park either.
I agree that it's not a walk in the park. I just meant that you dont need to be top 10 to get into perio

I agree that it's not a walk in the park. I just meant that you dont need to be top 10 to get into perio
I do believe perio has gotten more competitive in the past few years. If your GPA is 3.0, then make sure you attend AAP meeting, network. Also you'll need a stellar LOR

I don’t think you need adat, seems like nobody but endo asks for it for the most part at this point