SpaceOAR - Augmenix, Boston Scientific, and Conflicts of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a subset analysis regarding pts on AC? This is a significant group. I would say nearly every patient that I have had with late rectal bleeding has been on chronic AC.

There may be a subset of patients where cost/benefit changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Our physics and dosimetry team recently rolled out a prostate rapid plan (Varian machine learning planning) for our prostate planning and the quality of plans improved significantly across the board, most noticeable in dose fall of posteriorly into the rectum. Here is a sample plan , 70 Gy/28 fx with the color wash set to 25 Gy. I have also stopped doing SpaceOAR.
You can do same with a 50% avoidance structure 1cm posterior to ptv in rectum. This is abt the physical fall off limit that can work on almost all prostate volumes for hot spot less than 10% (5% fall off per mm).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is there a subset analysis regarding pts on AC? This is a significant group. I would say nearly every patient that I have had with late rectal bleeding has been on chronic AC.

I bet the cost/benefit changes being treated by a "lifetime cert" as well.

I am sure someone somewhere is gaining a clinically relevant benefit right now as we speak. Good luck prospectively identifying them.

This is why everyone should be super disappointed that the trial was designed to sell devices, not to help clinicians optimize risk/benefit.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to say, but your dosimetry team is probably lacking if they needed rapid plan to improve their plans.

Glad you have rockstar dosimetrists in your practice. In our practice, and I imagine the majority of places, we have a mix, some dosimetrists are more skilled than others. This brought up the quality of the plans across the board. Was posting to illustrate the impact dosimetry can have on plan quality and it's impact on the need for rectal SpaceOAR.

Reactions: 5 users
You can do same with a 50% avoidance structure 1cm posterior to ptv and 30% at 2 cm.
That's what I have typically done, put a large posterior avoid on the rectum, rapid plans still come out with sharper fall off posteriorly that what I have typically asked for. That plan I posted has 50% IDL at .5 cm and 30% line at 1 cm from the PTV.

Reactions: 1 users
That's what I have typically done, put a large posterior avoid on the rectum, rapid plans still come out with sharper fall off posteriorly that what I have typically asked for. That plan I posted has 50% IDL at .5 cm and 30% line at 1 cm from the PTV.
You can do better depending on prostate volume but 50% at 1 cm and 30% at 2 cm should always work and will be better than 90% plans out there. 10%/mm is a stereotactic like fall off, which is great but can’t expect something like that for a mid to large prostate.

You can do better depending on prostate volume but 50% at 1 cm and 30% at 2 cm should always work and will be better than 90% plans out there. 10%/mm is a stereotactic like fall off, which is great but can’t expect something like that for a mid to large prostate.

make sense, the plans used to train the model were optimized to achieve maximum dose fall off posteriorly.

Agree.

Of the two patients over the last decade I’ve had with significant late bleeding (one with spaceOAR actually) this was the common factor.

I don’t mandate the spaceOAR and present it as optional. I gently recommend it in motivated patients that want SBRT on anticoagulants. I do mandate a post gel MRI - I’ve had a couple of close calls with rectal wall infiltration.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the gel. I find it hard to be dogmatic about it (like so much else in this field).

Just published: Agnew et. al. in Brit J Radiology says n=160 retrospective review says SpacerOAR gel only 4.3% had minimal infiltration, 1 patient had intraprostatic injection (!) and two required ER visits, one for retention and one for pain. Separation achieved was 10mm +/- 3mm.

However, when using the AVOID technique, not a single patient had any injury or ER visit. True, 1 cm of separation was not achieved, but 0% suffered.

AVOID

Just published: Agnew et. al. in Brit J Radiology says n=160 retrospective review says SpacerOAR gel only 4.3% had minimal infiltration, 1 patient had intraprostatic injection (!) and two required ER visits, one for retention and one for pain. Separation achieved was 10mm +/- 3mm.

However, when using the AVOID technique, not a single patient had any injury or ER visit. True, 1 cm of separation was not achieved, but 0% suffered.

AVOID

These MRI Dicoms should be sent to this group below and see how they read the MRI's.

Like any other procedure, some are better than others, be it reading the MRI or actually inserting the spaceOAR correctly.

These MRI Dicoms should be sent to this group below and see how they read the MRI's.

Like any other procedure, some are better than others, be it reading the MRI or actually inserting the spaceOAR correctly.

No doubt.. but hey, you gotta give credit to the vipers at the gel factory. They sure did a heckuva job pushing that gel out to the docs.

Remember kids: if you want your warez to move, get hot reps and lotsa free food dialed up

Seeing a patient in consult with lung cancer with history of prostate cancer treated a few years ago in another state with EBRT and LDR brachytherapy and SPACEOAR. Developed rectovesical fistula about a year later requiring diverting ostomy and suprapubic catheter which will be lifelong now.

OOf.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hell 2 thuh NO.

AVOID technique is best technique.

Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Seeing a patient in consult with lung cancer with history of prostate cancer treated a few years ago in another state with EBRT and LDR brachytherapy and SPACEOAR. Developed rectovesical fistula about a year later requiring diverting ostomy and suprapubic catheter which will be lifelong now.

OOf.

Iv'e seen some gnarly proctitis bleeding in two decades of rad onc....but never anything like this. And these stories are more and more common the more you look for them.

I think with the gel you trade a slightly lower risk of bothersome bleeding for a small chance of a catastrophic outcome like that.

So many mixed emotions about it.

In all seriousness, ASCENDE-RT had 2% G4-5 GI/GU tox, including a guy who died during fistula repair.

Iv'e seen some gnarly proctitis bleeding in two decades of rad onc....but never anything like this. And these stories are more and more common the more you look for them.

I think with the gel you trade a slightly lower risk of bothersome bleeding for a small chance of a catastrophic outcome like that.

This doesn't negate your point because these events are very rare, but I feel like this is potentially even overstating the benefit?

The SpaceOAR Hamstra pub (long term) had only a single episode of grade 3 toxicity in the control arm.

I do think that if you're mixing in LDR or doing FLAME with a posterior prostate boost, there might be much more benefit. Just seems like the risk of a catastrophic outcome is slightly higher with SpaceOAR than without for conventional or moderate hypofrac (not sure though?). These events are rare enough that one could argue the Hamstra paper is just not enough patients to feel safe about it.

I also have a lot of mixed emotions, but dont see myself becoming a big gel guy anytime soon. Open-minded though and awaiting the SBRT results.

Nope. Exents, elective colostomies, fistulas etc... just say no!

Pre spaceoar toxicity to the rectum was nothing to write home about if you were using modern treatment techniques and margins

Last edited:
Nope. Exents, elective colostomies, fistulas etc... just say no!

Pre spaceoar toxicity to the rectum was nothing to write home about if you were using modern treatment techniques and margins
have a patient on w 70/28 and 70 Gy dose to rectum is about 2%. Sans spacer. Yes, the anatomy was pretty good, but gotta push the planner (not plan your own, you animals)

• Haha
This doesn't negate your point because these events are very rare, but I feel like this is potentially even overstating the benefit?

The SpaceOAR Hamstra pub (long term) had only a single episode of grade 3 toxicity in the control arm.

I do think that if you're mixing in LDR or doing FLAME with a posterior prostate boost, there might be much more benefit. Just seems like the risk of a catastrophic outcome is slightly higher with SpaceOAR than without for conventional or moderate hypofrac (not sure though?). These events are rare enough that one could argue the Hamstra paper is just not enough patients to feel safe about it.

I also have a lot of mixed emotions, but dont see myself becoming a big gel guy anytime soon. Open-minded though and awaiting the SBRT results.

At least they did a randomized trial, though some of it is suspect (I just don't get the big benefit in erections from gel group).

I don't know if they were extra careful (or very good) at placing gel on trial, but I think there is disconnect between trials and real world hiccups.

have a patient on w 70/28 and 70 Gy dose to rectum is about 2%. Sans spacer. Yes, the anatomy was pretty good, but gotta push the planner (not plan your own, you animals)
What's the absolute volume getting 70? You could just have them eat a big bowl of beans the night before sim if you really want to bring down the % getting 70. Looking at 2 patients under treatment right now, one of whom is my second patient with spaceoar ever, it's 70 Gy to 3.5% and 1.5 cc without vs 70 Gy to 0% with, and overall the rectal DVH looks way better with. That said, 1 in 100 patients I treat has it, and I don't push it. But I haven't really heard of these nightmares happening beyond anecdotally, and that's with and without.

At least they did a randomized trial, though some of it is suspect (I just don't get the big benefit in erections from gel group).

I don't know if they were extra careful (or very good) at placing gel on trial, but I think there is disconnect between trials and real world hiccups.
I agree, anecdotally, of course. The only people in my neck of the woods getting spacers placed are having them done by urologists who do them all the time. No problems I'm aware of.

What's the absolute volume getting 70? You could just have them eat a big bowl of beans the night before sim if you really want to bring down the % getting 70. Looking at 2 patients under treatment right now, one of whom is my second patient with spaceoar ever, it's 70 Gy to 3.5% and 1.5 cc without vs 70 Gy to 0% with, and overall the rectal DVH looks way better with. That said, 1 in 100 patients I treat has it, and I don't push it. But I haven't really heard of these nightmares happening beyond anecdotally, and that's with and without.
That’s why I look at the isodose percentage at 1cm posterior to the ptv.

Yes, absolute volume is best metric. I believe the old 70/28 Kupelian data showed strongest correlate of rectal issues was with absolute volumes of rectum getting 70 Gy. I mostly see around 1.5-2 cc's in non-gel patient.

My biggest long term bleeder was a 70/28 on anti coag. not a candidate for gel because T3 disease, very high grade. His prostate shrunk dramatically on treatment and I had to re-sim him half way through when the CBCT started looking fishy. I suspect that is what caused an issue because his DVH looked fine.

About a cc.

You think that cc explains the toxicity difference?

We don't encourage bean consumption prior to sim, FWIW.

• Haha
Ha. Always nice to add a few slices to meet constraints. I AM GREAT AT TX PLANNING!

• Haha

That is often true for any procedural treatment.

Did anyone read the quality analysis of RTOG 0848 that came out recently? Post op pancreas, 30% of treating ROs had plans sent back for revisions. Most were target revisions. 1 in 3! Imagine what that is out in the wild. (FWIW academic and community sites had similar rates).

I've seen crazy events at a center that participated in the SpaceOAR trial haha. In this case, you dont even need to imagine the wild, we know.

If you think "well, this wont happen in my hands!" you might be an academic. JK, kind of. But seriously, reflect if you are saying that. If you're not tracking every case in detail, you don't know.

Did anyone read the quality analysis of RTOG 0848 that came out recently? Post op pancreas, 30% of treating ROs had plans sent back for revisions. Most were target revisions. 1 in 3! Imagine what that is out in the wild. (FWIW academic and community sites had similar rates).

I've seen crazy events at a center that participated in the SpaceOAR trial haha. In this case, you dont even need to imagine the wild, we know.

If you think "well, this wont happen in my hands!" you might be an academic. JK, kind of. But seriously, reflect if you are saying that. If you're not tracking every case in detail, you don't know.
Since the only benefit is less g1 toxicity, it needs to translate universally well into the community

I've put 2 patients on this trial... rather difficult contouring rules. Not surprised

I just read through the 25 MAUDE reports from August for "hydrogel spacer".

A common theme in last month's reports was 70/28 regimen.

Another common theme is that Boston Scientific sure does a lot of "good faith effort" but never seems to have any success.

Here is a horrible story:

Patient Problems Fistula (1862); Unspecified Infection (1930); Necrosis (1971); Pain (1994); Urinary Retention (2119)
Event Date 07/24/2023
Event Type Injury
Event Description
It was reported to boston scientific corporation that a spaceoar vue device was implanted during a spaceoar vue implant procedure on an unknown date. The procedure was performed under anesthesia. The patient received external beam radiation treatment, then seed and spaceoar placement was performed. The hydrogel was reported to be small and near the seminal vesicles and partially into the venous plexus, surrounding the prostate lower down. On (b)(6), 2023, the patient had a post procedure computed tomography, at that time the patient was having a lot of urinary frequency. One month after the hydrogel placement, on (b)(6), the patient began experiencing rectal pain around the anus. The patient was put in lithotomy position, no pain to palpitation on the testicles and perineum but had point tenderness right inside the anus on the rectum, it was thought the patient had a small fissure. The patient was sent to gastroenterologist physician (gi) but was unable to be seen. The patient was prescribed with lidocaine cream to put at the anal area for the presumed fissure. The next couple of days around (b)(6), the affected area and the pain worsened. The patient went to the urologist complaining of scrotal and perineal pain, the urologist did not examine the patient. The patient's pain was so severe that he went to emergency department (ed) and ended up in the intensive care unit (icu) with gangrene in scrotum and debridement of the entire perineal. It was noted some seeds were lost in the procedure. The patient was put on a ventilator and a wound vacuum to address the problem. The patient did not lose a testicle due to this event and it was reported that he will get a skin graft. The patient was discharged from the hospital at the time of this event. The patient condition was reported as "expected fully recovered. ".

• Wow
Another interesting report.

Patient Problems Abscess (1690); Purulent Discharge (1812); Fistula (1862); Pain (1994)
Event Date 02/24/2022
Event Type Injury
Manufacturer Narrative
Blocks d4 and h4: the complainant was unable to report the lot number; therefore, the manufacture date and expiration date are unknown. Block h6: imdrf patient code e2314 captures the reportable event of fistula. Imdrf patient code e172001 captures the reportable event of abscess.
Event Description
It was reported to boston scientific corporation that a spaceoar vue device was implanted during a spaceoar vue implant procedure on (b)(6) 2022. The procedure was performed with local anesthesia. Fiducial markers were placed transperineally. This patient received treatment 1. 5 years ago. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2015, later in 2016 he was diagnosed with colon cancer, the magnetic resonance imaging (mri) showed that he had an obstructing lesion in the ascending colon, the lesion in the right lateral peripheral. His psa went from 5 to 10. In (b)(6) 2021, a fusion biopsy showed gleason. 3+4
=
7 in the mr fusion index lesion and so he went for treatment. The patient's physician gave him androgen deprivation therapy (adt) and wanted to do external beam radiation treatment (ebrt) therefore the patient did spaceoar vue and finished his treatment in april 2022. The radiation treatment was changed to moderate hypofractionation and received 70gy/28 fractions. (b)(6) 2022 the patient was doing fine. Was in (b)(6) 2022 that the patient reported having pain with bowel movements in the rectum, he was prescribed with proctofoam and was ok, the symptoms resolved 2-3 weeks later. Later in (b)(6) 2022 the symptoms in the rectum recured. He restarted proctofoam and had a computed tomography (ct) scan in the clinic and there was not abnormally on the scan nor rectal exam therefore the patient's physician decided to be watched on proctofoam watch soft stools. This was enough for a few months. In (b)(6) 2023, symptoms worsened he was referred to colorectal surgery who did a flex sig which found a punctate pinpoint fistula along the anterior rectal wall with some pus. The magnetic resonance imaging (mri) was performed and showed a rectoprostatic fistula that wasn't involving the urethra. The fistula was located to the posterior surface of the prostate. There were also a series of abscessed on the right abductor muscle. The patient went to the operating room (or) for pelvic exploration, there it was noted some fibrosis around the prostate, they drain into the muscle to drain the abscesses and then had a colostomy with hartman paunch. The patient had antibiotics for six weeks. The patient's physician looked at the spaceoar reps at the prior images and didn't see anything that would explain what had happened. The images were reviewed but there is not certain that a rectal wall infiltration that could have cause the fistula. The relationship between the device and the adverse events of fistula and abscess was unknown. The patient condition at the time of this report was as unknown.

Another interesting tidbit...

This report states the patient's dose per fraction was changed to 180 cGy to "reduce the rectal risk". Is this not an admission of guilt as the doc was previously using a more toxic regimen. The doc knew something was erroneous otherwise why would they have "switched". I hope the doc documented that they were (previously) pursuing a regimen with greater risk during the consent. Should someone call this docs insurer.

Patient Problems Fistula (1862); Pain (1994); Ulcer (2274); Discomfort (2330); Dysuria (2684); Fluid Discharge (2686)
Event Date 07/01/2023
Event Type Injury
Manufacturer Narrative
Blocks d4 and h4: the complainant was unable to report the lot number; therefore, the manufacture date and expiration date are unknown. Block h6: imdrf device code a1502 captures the reportable event gel misplaced - non-vascular. Imdrf patient code e2314 captures the reportable event of fistula. Imdrf patient code e2339 captures the reportable event of ulcer.
Event Description
It was reported to boston scientific corporation that a spaceoar vue device was implanted during a spaceoar vue implant procedure on an unknown date. The patient received transrectal fiducials a week prior to the procedure to the hydrogel placement procedure. The placement procedure was successful. The patient started radiation treatment that was switched to 180 per fraction to reduce the rectal risk. The patient was doing well until fraction 25 when he developed discomfort and rectal pain with bowel movements and dysuria. The patient was ruled out for urinary infection (uti). Two weeks into the patient's treatment, he experienced mucus discharge. On cone beam computed tomography (cbct) the hydrogel appears that there is a wisp of hydrogel that is placed posterior than what was noted previously. The patient treatment was paused, and magnetic resonance imaging (mri) was performed. The imaging showed an ulceration is superior, and the fistula extends into the hydrogel less than one centimeter. The radiation treatment was put on hold for six weeks. The patient condition was unknown at the time of this report. No further information has been obtained despite good faith efforts.

I just read through the 25 MAUDE reports from August for "hydrogel spacer".

A common theme in last month's reports was 70/28 regimen.

Another common theme is that Boston Scientific sure does a lot of "good faith effort" but never seems to have any success.

Here is a horrible story:

Patient Problems Fistula (1862); Unspecified Infection (1930); Necrosis (1971); Pain (1994); Urinary Retention (2119)
Event Date 07/24/2023
Event Type Injury
Event Description
It was reported to boston scientific corporation that a spaceoar vue device was implanted during a spaceoar vue implant procedure on an unknown date. The procedure was performed under anesthesia. The patient received external beam radiation treatment, then seed and spaceoar placement was performed. The hydrogel was reported to be small and near the seminal vesicles and partially into the venous plexus, surrounding the prostate lower down. On (b)(6), 2023, the patient had a post procedure computed tomography, at that time the patient was having a lot of urinary frequency. One month after the hydrogel placement, on (b)(6), the patient began experiencing rectal pain around the anus. The patient was put in lithotomy position, no pain to palpitation on the testicles and perineum but had point tenderness right inside the anus on the rectum, it was thought the patient had a small fissure. The patient was sent to gastroenterologist physician (gi) but was unable to be seen. The patient was prescribed with lidocaine cream to put at the anal area for the presumed fissure. The next couple of days around (b)(6), the affected area and the pain worsened. The patient went to the urologist complaining of scrotal and perineal pain, the urologist did not examine the patient. The patient's pain was so severe that he went to emergency department (ed) and ended up in the intensive care unit (icu) with gangrene in scrotum and debridement of the entire perineal. It was noted some seeds were lost in the procedure. The patient was put on a ventilator and a wound vacuum to address the problem. The patient did not lose a testicle due to this event and it was reported that he will get a skin graft. The patient was discharged from the hospital at the time of this event. The patient condition was reported as "expected fully recovered. ".
They should have applied the diagnosis of Fournier’s Gangrene here. It is horrible horror movie stuff, often fatal. That there is any association of Fournier’s with SpaceOAR should get SpaceOAR totally recalled or demarketed or canceled or whatever.

They should have applied the diagnosis of Fournier’s Gangrene here. It is horrible horror movie stuff, often fatal. That there is any association of Fournier’s with SpaceOAR should get SpaceOAR totally recalled or demarketed or canceled or whatever.

Spaceoar placed after ebrt? You're asking for it if you're doing that.

• Haha
Here is an interesting report of litigation regarding rectal fistula: Doyle v. The Mount Sinai Hosp., 2022 N.Y. Slip Op. 31097 | Casetext Search + Citator

I find this from the "expert" witness to be incorrect as the incidence of fistula with spacer appears to far exceed the "expert's" reported incidence:

"Accordingly, it is my opinion within a reasonable degree of medical certainty that the rectal fistula/perforation/Grade 4 rectal toxicity suffered by Mr. Doyle was an injury that does not occur in the absence of medical malpractice. In contrast, when radiation is administered correctly, the incidence of Mr. Doyle's severe injury i.e. the rectal fistula/perforation is 0%"

Here is an interesting report of litigation regarding rectal fistula: Doyle v. The Mount Sinai Hosp., 2022 N.Y. Slip Op. 31097 | Casetext Search + Citator

I find this from the "expert" witness to be incorrect as the incidence of fistula with spacer appears to far exceed the "expert's" reported incidence:

"Accordingly, it is my opinion within a reasonable degree of medical certainty that the rectal fistula/perforation/Grade 4 rectal toxicity suffered by Mr. Doyle was an injury that does not occur in the absence of medical malpractice. In contrast, when radiation is administered correctly, the incidence of Mr. Doyle's severe injury i.e. the rectal fistula/perforation is 0%"
That "expert" is going to get rich when these gel fistulas start making it to litigation...

How about not performing biopsies of the anterior rectum

and why was the plaintiff "expert" witness so eager to testify against a fellow "member of the tribe"

How about not performing biopsies of the anterior rectum

and why was the plaintiff "expert" witness so eager to testify against a fellow "member of the tribe"

This is actually an important point.

I've had two scares with rectal wall infiltration (not my insertion, but they were my patients) and talked to a lot of experts regarding what to do here. In these cases it is important you directly talk with the GI or colorectal surgeon or surg onc (for me I like surg onc or GI surgery because they do the most anoscopy/proctos, some GI docs the lower rectum/anal area is a blind spot for them in my experience) and tell them ***do not biopsy anything fishy looking***. Just look in there and tell me what you see. If mucosa looks abnormal then you don't do radiation and re-scope a few months later.

"
Accordingly, it is

ORDERED that the motion of the defendant Seth Blacksburg, M.D., is granted to the extent that he is awarded summary judgment dismissing, insofar as asserted against him, the wrongful death cause of action and so much of the medical malpractice cause of action as alleged lack of informed consent, and the motion is otherwise denied."

All's well that ends well.

Whenever I see this I am reminded that this is the failure to contour as specified in the protocol.

It does not mean that the protocol specified contours are the correct ones. The "ground truth" is unknown. The protocol contour itself is likely erroneous.

I appreciate the need to have consistent contouring on protocol so that it will add information as to what the contour (perhaps) needs to be. But I don't expect contouring to be consistent in the real world as we all have our own biases we bring to each patient.

It is absolutely possible that the 30% may be what the protocol contour should be.

Generalists contour just as well (or poorly, depending on how you look at it) as do the "experts".

Reactions: 4 users
All's well that ends well.
There is never really a "win" in litigation.

It is miserable while it is ongoing. This patients death occurred 2016 and it wasn't settled until 2022 or thereabouts. That is a miserable 6'ish years while it is ongoing, for everyone involved. And the rad Onc's colleagues were assuredly not spared the misery - the urologist, gastroenterologist, primary care, ER docs, radiologists, hospitalists, etc.

If you get a fistula or other disastrous toxicity and it goes through all of this they will remember you forever...

***EDIT - I forgot to mention the other rad Onc's in your group as they will be dealing with such a disaster while on call or when you take vacation.

Reactions: 4 users
This is actually an important point.

I've had two scares with rectal wall infiltration (not my insertion, but they were my patients) and talked to a lot of experts regarding what to do here. In these cases it is important you directly talk with the GI or colorectal surgeon or surg onc (for me I like surg onc or GI surgery because they do the most anoscopy/proctos, some GI docs the lower rectum/anal area is a blind spot for them in my experience) and tell them ***do not biopsy anything fishy looking***. Just look in there and tell me what you see. If mucosa looks abnormal then you don't do radiation and re-scope a few months later.
Only refer to experienced GI docs who know what they are doing.

"Accordingly, it is my opinion within a reasonable degree of medical certainty that the rectal fistula/perforation/Grade 4 rectal toxicity suffered by Mr. Doyle was an injury that does not occur in the absence of medical malpractice.

This seems insane?

I specifically tell all my patients that nothing in medicine carries a 0% of toxicity. I would say the same thing as a witness.