SOAP Round 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sent 7/10 out. those 7 were the only ones in my speciality that offered/accepted Visas (I'm Canadian). Waiting till 5pm doesn't matter at this point as those 7 are the only ones I have a remote shot in hell at.

Game over at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

and there are only advanced positions available? all 113 prelim surgery programs got filled? jesus! no more prelim or categorical spots? so basically that means if you dont have an advanced spot already (radiology PGY2+) and are looking for prelim only, you are SOL?

thank god i was able to be offered a position.. i am SO sorry for everyone that did not get offered a position, this was the most devastating experience in my life

Wait, radiology still has available positions? Yikes. Did I choose the wrong specialty?

Many programs still have open positions left. That is true. But that does not reflect by any means that there are no applicants or that people is applying to the wrong residency. It might just being showing their requirements (usmle scores, lor, etc) are very high.

Many programs still have open positions left. That is true. But that does not reflect by any means that there are no applicants or that people is applying to the wrong residency. It might just being showing their requirements (usmle scores, lor, etc) are very high.

You don't understand - I matched to radiology. Shocked that it is still unfilled after two rounds of SOAP. Apparently no one wants it this year.

WOW!!.

There was a big difference between the first offer period and second one...

all the spots are gone..... meaning the most universally applied spots are all gone or halved after the first offer period...

Did I just make a mistake not applying at noon?

WOW!!.

all the spots are gone..... meaning the most universally applied spots are all gone or halved after the first offer period...

What's left?

True, I might not understand, but one thing is for sure. Your qualifications must be great compared to other applicants. Congratulations.

WOW!!.

Concerned about this as well.

I hope you are kidding and what you decided for yourself was not based on what others want.

It was tongue-in-cheek. I am curious why it's become so much less desirable though. It probably means I matched higher on my list than I would otherwise, but I also am pretty sure places that didn't bother interviewing me are scrambling this year.

anyone have any idea on how difficult it is to secure a spot (any spot!) post-SOAP? i can't imagine it's be to hard to get a prelim surg spot by calling some hospitals directly, especially since many of them arent participating in SOAP

If you don't have visa issues getting a preliminary surgery spot outside of the match should not be too difficult. Many people will drop out.

anyone have any idea on how difficult it is to secure a spot (any spot!) post-SOAP? i can't imagine it's be to hard to get a prelim surg spot by calling some hospitals directly, especially since many of them arent participating in SOAP

Do you think they are going to appreciate the calls? Rather, is the expectation of direct calls/visits the reason they didn't participate in SOAP?

In any case, I don't think it's going to be easy since the non-participants were so few and the non-soaped way too many.

If you don't have visa issues getting a preliminary surgery spot outside of the match should not be too difficult. Many people will drop out.

Not sure what this means. Which people? Drop out of what?

I wonder what the average Step score/number of attempts were of the SOAP applicants (matched and unmatched)............

BTW, so for those of us who applied at 5pm, we are pretty much guaranteed that we're not gonna hear anything until 9am tomorrow, right?

I wonder what the average Step score/number of attempts were of the SOAP applicants (matched and unmatched)............

BTW, so for those of us who applied at 5pm, we are pretty much guaranteed that we're not gonna hear anything until 9am tomorrow, right?

You might get phone interviews from programs that have run out of candidates from their preference lists. It's unlikely though.

Haha...apparently it's in good company (rest of the ROAD specialties). It's not impossible that rads was a bad choice, though. Better start innovating, Drama :p

Haha, that's the plan. ;-)

Quick question about these phone interviews: if they ask "Why did you apply to our program?" how can we answer that? 1st off, it wouldn't be "right?" to ask such a question. How many people would honestly say "Well, I'm in SOAP and I'm desperate" (even though that's the truth).

Quick question about these phone interviews: if they ask "Why did you apply to our program?" how can we answer that? 1st off, it wouldn't be "right?" to ask such a question. How many people would honestly say "Well, I'm in SOAP and I'm desperate" (even though that's the truth).

hahah thats what i've been wondering. i have 5-6 programs that are still unfilled as of 5pm. i bookmarked each of their sites just incase i get a phone call.

PD's arent stupid. they wont ask you "why our program" cause they know you didnt match, they know everyone is desperate and the real answer is: caues it had open spots and i need a job.

for everyone who is soaping, when do you submit the next five apps? Today? I know the first 30 and the next 10 already went out, but I believe there are 5 more apps you can send.

Basically, is there anymore SOAP activity beofre thursday morning (round 3) or do you just submit 5 more apps and then the total of 45 apps keeps going in rounds (30+10+5)

GL to everyone!

PD's arent stupid. they wont ask you "why our program" cause they know you didnt match, they know everyone is desperate and the real answer is: caues it had open spots and i need a job.

You still need an answer to that question. This is interviewing 101.

for everyone who is soaping, when do you submit the next five apps? Today? I know the first 30 and the next 10 already went out, but I believe there are 5 more apps you can send.

Basically, is there anymore SOAP activity beofre thursday morning (round 3) or do you just submit 5 more apps and then the total of 45 apps keeps going in rounds (30+10+5)

GL to everyone!

Can apply to 5 more starting at noon tomorrow.

Can apply to 5 more starting at noon tomorrow.
Was gonna ask about that too....

so when is the next time the list of unfilled programs going to be updated? When to apply for the final 5?

(so,, noon?)

Just accepted an offer (one of 3 offers from 8 tele interviews). I had to decide between 1 IM cat and 2 prelim surgs. Good news, that means 2 unfilled spots back in the pool for you guys but I guess the numbers of unfilled will still be dwindled as stated from those above.

Good luck everybody.

Congrats. In many ways, you are the person that SOAP was designed for. You got a bunch of interviews, which led to 3 offers, and then you get to pick which fits best for you without pressure / timecrunch.

Obviously, you're in SOAP because you didn't match. But it's totally fair for programs to ask why you want to go to them. Hopefully you've reviewed the program, and can talk about why you want to go there (hint...)

WOW!!.

I don't think so. As mentioned above, I expect that programs are unlikely to look at many applications between the two rounds. More likely, programs will review applications this evening if they still have openings. But, questions like this are impossible to answer. Some programs might review applications as the day progresses.

Was gonna ask about that too....

so when is the next time the list of unfilled programs going to be updated? When to apply for the final 5?

(so,, noon?)

Again, hard to tell. Given the numbers quoted above, I don't think there will be many spots left by noon. But, if there are, I'd apply at noon, for fear that there will be truly nothing left by the end of the day.

Hello, I am in the same boat as the previous person. i did not register with NRMP, due to no interviews. With match week done, how do i find the unfilled program list for 2012. If someone can still get it, can you email me the list? In desperate need of info on unfilled programs. I know there wont be many, but still need to give it a try.