SOAP Round 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derailed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When will the updated list be generated? From a couple of posts elsewhere, it seemed that at 3:55 pm. But from info on ERAS it seems that you can apply to your next 10 starting 12 noon. How is this?

Members don't see this ad.

^ SOAP podcast says 2:55PM. And yea, the noon-3 discrepancy doesn't make much sense. I guess it's all kind of done on a rolling basis?

I`m going to call these ppl in the morning. its confusing as hell.

tomorrow there will be 2 sets of offers that go out. first at noon, second at 3pm.

why would i apply at noon if there are still spots from that list that are going to be given out at 3pm

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Really good point you bring up...

Let's say applicant "A" puts up a new list of 10 programs at 12:00 PM. But "A" happens to accept a program's offer at 3:00 PM.

Here's the dilemma: The rest of the 'unfilled' programs have an even shorter time to go through the unmatched applicants' profiles... how sure are we that NRMP will notify applicant "A's" status beforehand?

There was a post I read somewhere that one PD didn't even know we only accept/reject their offers and we have no ranking ability. We should just give ourselves the title of "Guinea Pigs of the Year."

I`m going to call these ppl in the morning. its confusing as hell.

tomorrow there will be 2 sets of offers that go out. first at noon, second at 3pm.

why would i apply at noon if there are still spots from that list that are going to be given out at 3pm

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The offers are sent out at noon and have to be accepted or rejected by 2 PM.

Really good point you bring up...

Let's say applicant "A" puts up a new list of 10 programs at 12:00 PM. But "A" happens to accept a program's offer at 3:00 PM.

Here's the dilemma: The rest of the 'unfilled' programs have an even shorter time to go through the unmatched applicants' profiles... how sure are we that NRMP will notify applicant "A's" status beforehand?

There was a post I read somewhere that one PD didn't even know we only accept/reject their offers and we have no ranking ability. We should just give ourselves the title of "Guinea Pigs of the Year."

The positions are updated in real time. As soon as someone accepts the position on the NRMP website, it becomes unavailable. There is no "notify[ing] applicant "A's" status" - it happens automatically.

The positions are updated in real time. As soon as someone accepts the position on the NRMP website, it becomes unavailable. There is no "notify[ing] applicant "A's" status" - it happens automatically.

You're right, but I guess I should have explained my little hypothetical scenario a little better.

I'm talking about after Wednesday's process is over and in regards to the leftover programs that still have unfilled spots. For fun, let's say Program "B" is going through applications on Wed night after the accept/reject rounds are over. Let's hope they're not reviewing a bunch of "A" applicants that already ended up with positions and waste precious time. I don't know, does it make sense? :confused:

You're right, but I guess I should have explained my little hypothetical scenario a little better.

I'm talking about after Wednesday's process is over and in regards to the leftover programs that still have unfilled spots. For fun, let's say Program "B" is going through applications on Wed night after the accept/reject rounds are over. Let's hope they're not reviewing a bunch of "A" applicants that already ended up with positions and waste precious time. I don't know, does it make sense? :confused:

Their preference lists are updated in realtime - applicants are greyed out when they become ineligible.

I believe the list of unfilled programs is not updated until 55 minutes after offers expire though (eg first update at 2:55 on Wednesday).

Their preference lists are updated in realtime - applicants are greyed out when they become ineligible.

I believe the list of unfilled programs is not updated until 55 minutes after offers expire though (eg first update at 2:55 on Wednesday).

That is, at least for me the confusing part because if the list isn't updated till 2:55 then whats the point of being able to apply at 12:00. How do I know I am not applying to a program that by 2:55 will have filled there spots and in the process end up wasting one of my 10 applications for tomorrow. If the list was being updated in real time starting at 12:00 so that we know what is really left over then I understand but if it's not then why even allow the 12:00 time.

That is, at least for me the confusing part because if the list isn't updated till 2:55 then whats the point of being able to apply at 12:00. How do I know I am not applying to a program that by 2:55 will have filled there spots and in the process end up wasting one of my 10 applications for tomorrow. If the list was being updated in real time starting at 12:00 so that we know what is really left over then I understand but if it's not then why even allow the 12:00 time.

Okay, now I'm really confused. So, is it safe to say that the options are...

1) Apply at noon in hopes to get priority for your application to be looked at with risks that those programs may actually be filled? Or..

2) Wait until 5 PM (when last offers are valid) and apply to unfilled programs but risk being one of the last applications to be reviewed?

Are you sure you add programs at the beginning of the round and not the end (ie around 3 PM)? Because they can't update the list until the offers expire at 2 at the earliest.

That information isn't in the presentation (the greying out part is though).

get some sleep you people. let's think about this in a few hours.

So on Wednesday, what time (EST) is the "wisest" time to apply for those 10 programs for the 2nd round? (2:55pm?)

because those of us who applied in the 1st round would want the UPDATED list to apply during the 2nd round, correct??

According to this from the SOAP webcast, the list will be updated at 2:55pm (am I reading that correctly?):
oa99ue.jpg

......but the 2nd offers are sent 5 minutes after the list is updated?!?!???? How can they send us offers if we only have 5 minutes of access to the updated list?

SO CONFUSING!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think it's a confusion between rounds and offers

Round 1(first 30 apps) is offers 1 and 2 (Wednesday)

Round 2 (next 10 apps) is offers 3,4, 5 (Thursday)

Round 3 (final 5) is offers 6,7,8 (Friday)

Im not sure you can dynamically update your list between offers, just between rounds (i.e days) in the event you didnt get an offer. 5 minutes seems a bit short for everyone to be able to do that if you were indeed trying to update between offers 1 and 2.

This 'updated listed' you are debating is not the updated available list it's the rank list for programs. The programs have 2:55 deadline to update their rank lists and NRMP then uses those five minutes to send out new offers.

I'm so confused and scared. I only had 8 calls between Day 1 and Day 2.

From what I can gather...

1st round offers will go out at 12pm
Applicants accept or offer between 12-2pm
Applicants with no offers can start submitting remaining 10apps starting at 12
NRMP unfilled list supposedly dynamically updated during 1st round offers between 12-2pm
2nd round offers go out at 3pm, open till 5pm?
Again between 3-5pm list will be dynamic

My question is from 12-3 will programs really review new applications or will they have already made their list (say for 2 spots, applicants ranked 1-10) with applicants from Day 1&2 applications? Say if offer made for applicant 1 & 2 rejected (first round), come second round offer made to applicant 3 & 4 of their list (still from Days 3-4)

I'm so afraid SOAP is really all over with this first round. I can't imagine programs getting 1000+ applications sifting through a second round of applications from 12-3 to update their rank of applications or even from 5pm-8am the next morning for the 3rd round unless if they absolutely got their offers rejected multiple times

Its so hard because programs are busy so can't fault them for not wanting to participate (by reviewing many many many applications) the way the NRMP intended they participate

So I still don't know when best to submit my next 10 applications :(

What if I submit say five at 1pm (checking the dynamic list for unfilled positions), but then the offer extended at noon was accepted at 1:10pm? Then i've lost an application.

Will programs review new applications between round 1 and 2?

If I submit after round 2 is complete (after 5pm), I risk being on the bottom stack and never reviewed?

If I submit too early I risk submitting to programs that have offers accepted (or will be accepted sometime in a 2 hour period).

I just don't know. I'm so tired and so so so scared.

Last edited:
Stupid question: Do the 30 applications we've submitted in the first round remain valid throughout SOAP? So we only have to apply to the programs we couldn't applied to in the first round?

Why can I not update my phone number in NRMP? I could only do it in ERAS!

My two cents on the SOAP.

I spoke with them this morning.

They said at 12:00pm we can start applying to programs..........
However, NRMP will not have the most current list for the 2nd cycle until 2:55pm.....

So the strategy is to have your ERAS program list populated with potential programs that are open at 12:00pm and wait till 2:55pm to make sure they are still available at that time on the NRMP list.

Then apply at 2:55pm.

@sophie tran What specialty are you applying to? 8 phone calls? Wow! You will get offers for sure!

@ Sarcoidosis Thank you! I was trying to get through to them but didn't want to risk tying up the line. So apply after 2:55? But what about the 2nd round of offers at 3 and the interval from 3-5 where more applicants will accept or reject? Say I submit at 3:15, applicant offered position at 3, accepts at 3:30. I'm screwd.

@ those that replied to me. Thank you guys too. I submitted apps to IM cat, FM cat and Surg prelim. Interviews from 3, 2, 3, respectively. Confusing as hell. There are just a lot of applicants in the pool and hearing a few say they are trying to go through as many applications and conduct as many interviews possible (I heard numbers from 50-200-- is that even possible??), time permitting for their PD, it is scary and not much of a reassurance for getting an interview.

I desperately want this waiting game to be over (with good results of course) so I can go exercise, eat something, say hi to family members I've neglected for the past 48 hours. Good luck everybody.

Why can I not update my phone number in NRMP? I could only do it in ERAS!

If you're worried about whether or not it affects programs contacting you, don't worry. ERAS is the info programs have. Information on NRMP is specific for their office only.

My two cents on the SOAP.

I spoke with them this morning.

They said at 12:00pm we can start applying to programs..........
However, NRMP will not have the most current list for the 2nd cycle until 2:55pm.....

So the strategy is to have your ERAS program list populated with potential programs that are open at 12:00pm and wait till 2:55pm to make sure they are still available at that time on the NRMP list.

Then apply at 2:55pm.

Sounds reasonable.

Edit: my call actually got through but I did not get a satisfactory answer to the point in appyling at noon when the unfilled list would be published around 3.

Also, suppose PlaceX that you applied to initially had 5 spots and now has 3 spots, would you reapply to PlaceX in round 2 or is your previous application still valid?

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable.

Edit: my call actually got through but I did not get a satisfactory answer to the point in appyling at noon when the unfilled list would be published around 3.

Also, suppose PlaceX that you applied to initially had 5 spots and now has 3 spots, would you reapply to PlaceX in round 2 or is your previous application still valid?
The original 30 applications remain valid, I just called ERAS.

But if 5 PM is truly the last time to accept/reject programs... I would assume that they would have a final unfilled list for the day after 5 PM. So shouldn't that be the best time to get the most updated list?

latest email:
Dear Applicant,

Here is a clarification of the timeline with regard to the 12:00 EDT release of NRMP offers and the availability of ERAS Applications. The first set of offers will be released today, Wednesday, March 14th , at 12:00n EDT; and applicants will have two (2) hours, until 2:00p EDT, to decide to accept or reject the offer.

NRMP will provide a data exchange to ERAS and will update their "List of Unfilled Programs" shortly after 2:00p EDT. Although applicants will be able to submit ten (10) additional applications beginning at 12:00n EDT, we recommend that applicants wait for NRMP to make the updated "List of Unfilled Programs" available, shortly after 2:00p EDT, before applying

SO WAIT UNTIL 2PM AFTER THE FIRST ROUND OF OFFERS HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED OR DENIED!

and to confirm, i DO NOT need to reapply to programs if they went unfilled? i can apply to 10 totally NEW ones?

Last edited:
^

Thanks repsbrah, that's an excellent clarification. Yes, you can apply to 10 totally new ones.

Last edited:
thank you derailed for clarifiying that.

no offer for me. updated list isn't posted for another 2 hrs....so its break time i reckon.

@ repsbrah: confirmed. apply to 10 totally new ones.

just talked to NRMP - list will be updated within the hour after the end of each round (2-3 pm, 5-6 pm). i guess it's simply a judgement call to which time slot to send out applications

I did not register with nrmp this yr. because I did not interview anywhere. Can anyone tell
Me if its too late to register to be able to see the list of unfilled programs.
Thanks

I am still not sure about the 2:55pm time...

Because if another set of offers will be sent at 3pm by programs then that means they already have these people in mind and have already spoken to these people.

NO way will they sieve through the applicants that apply at 2:10pm to offer them positions at 3:00pm... maybe they will but I don't know if they will have time...

Very frustrating... to be the first SOAP group.

Most logical time to apply would be at 5pm EST... which means that most of the programs will be closed at this time and the next offer session starts at 9am which are when offices open......

The only program worth applying to would be the PST at 5pm because at this time it would be 2pm

I am confused now...

Last edited:
I did not register with nrmp this yr. because I did not interview anywhere. Can anyone tell
Me if its too late to register to be able to see the list of unfilled programs.
Thanks

unfortunately it is too late. you can only see the unfilled programs if you're participating in SOAP. and to participate in SOAP you had to have registered with NRMP and go through the main match. sorry. hopefully there are still opportunities after the match week, so don't give up. (you will be able to see the list of unfilled programs after match week)

I am still not sure about the 2:55pm time...

Because if another set of offers will be sent at 3pm by programs then that means they already have these people in mind and have already spoken to these people.

NO way will they sieve through the applicants that apply at 2:10pm to offer them positions at 3:00pm... maybe they will but I don't know if they will have time...

Very frustrating... to be the first SOAP group.

Programs will most likely not be inviting anyone new for the second round, so it doesn't matter that much.

They all have probably interviewed at least 5-10x as many people as they have spots already, so their lists are already long enough for at least a few rounds.

and to confirm, i DO NOT need to reapply to programs if they went unfilled? i can apply to 10 totally NEW ones?
wait, are you asking? or are you stating?

DO we apply to 10 NEW programs or what? (makes sense that we should)

unfortunately it is too late. you can only see the unfilled programs if you're participating in SOAP. and to participate in SOAP you had to have registered with NRMP and go through the main match. sorry. hopefully there are still opportunities after the match week, so don't give up. (you will be able to see the list of unfilled programs after match week)

of what kind?

wait, are you asking? or are you stating?

DO we apply to 10 NEW programs or what? (makes sense that we should)

i was asking. people above have confirmed that yes, apply to 10 totally new ones.

btw, for tomorrrow's (Thursday's) round, is it the same strategy as today [with regards to the updated list]?: wait until after 2pm to start applying?

why not wait until 4? this way you get the latest unfilled list...between 2 and 4, more unfilled spots will be taken up..is this a sound strategy?

why not wait until 4? this way you get the latest unfilled list...between 2 and 4, more unfilled spots will be taken up..is this a sound strategy?

for the match that happens at 3pm the people have 2hrs to accept or deny. so really...5pm would be the most accurate list of what is remaining.

haven't decided what i want to do yet :(

FUUU!!!

so when to apply??? 3pm or 5pm?!?!? If we wait till 5, wouldn't we be "late"?

btw, for tomorrrow's (Thursday's) round, is it the same strategy as today [with regards to the updated list]?: wait until after 2pm to start applying?

To be honest, I wouldn't bet on there being anything after a Thursday round. Sounds like around 80% of spots are going to disappear this round, will probably be the same or higher for the afternoon round.

Wednesday
Round 1: ~1000
Round 2: 200

Thursday
Round 3: 40
Round 4: 8
Round 5: <2

I'd also expect the rate to accelerate, since you will have fewer people receiving multiple offers in later rounds.