SOAP Round 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FUUU!!!

so when to apply??? 3pm or 5pm?!?!? If we wait till 5, wouldn't we be "late"?

if u apply at 3pm, chances are u wont get any offers since pds have already submitted their preference list...i dont see them looking at apps between 2 and 3pm and iv ppl to make offers by 3..am i missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

if u apply at 3pm, chances are u wont get any offers since pds have already submitted their preference list...i dont see them looking at apps between 2 and 3pm and iv ppl to make offers by 3..am i missing something?

I believe the application you are making at 2pm/3pm/4pm/5pm today is for TOMORROW. not today. todays 3pm match would come from your first 30 picks.

that is my understanding, if anyone knows otherwise please post.

If you apply at 2, expect to waste 8-9 of your 10 applications. If you wait until 5, you will be further down on the list but will at least have all of your applications count.

If you apply at 2, expect to waste 8-9 of your 10 applications. If you wait until 5, you will be further down on the list but will at least have all of your applications count.
Can you clarify what you mean?

If person X applies at 2 and wastes 8-9 applications, why would person Y who applies at 5 be further down the list?

If person X applies at 2 and wastes 8-9 applications, why would person Y who applies at 5 be further down the list?

apply at 2pm: those spots might be gone during the 3pm match = your applications are wasted.

apply at 5pm: you would be applying to spots that ARE 100% open, but people might have already applied to those programs from 2-5pm. hence lower down on the list.

Applicant A:

Applies to 10 programs at 2, including program X.
9 of those programs fill by 5 PM, leaving only Program X.

Applicant B:

Waits until 5 to apply to 10 programs, including Program X.

For the third round, A is higher on Program X's list than B, but B has more additional options.

And by list I mean programs tend to screen in order, if on applicant is much better by scores/etc order of applications doesn't matter as much.

What would you suggest someone with below average Step scores do: apply @ 3 or 5?

(I say 3 because that's when the list of programs first gets updated)

EDIT: yeah, kinda agreeing with the post below.

I agree that at or after the new list after 5pm would be the best time.
And the purpose of the Soap is not where your application is on the list for the program... it is so that the programs have sufficient time to look at all the applicants for their qualifications prior to starting to send out the next round of offers.

For instance.
Offer 1 to 2 applicants no luck with applicants
Offer 2 to next 2 applicant they like

Then a big break....maybe reconsider the next batch of applications...

Offer 1
Offer 2
Offer 3

Then a big break.... maybe reconsider the next batch of applications...

Offer 1
Offer 2
Offer 3

This seems like a logical approach that a program should take, however... depends on who is running the ship.

Last edited:
And by list I mean programs tend to screen in order, if on applicant is much better by scores/etc order of applications doesn't matter as much.

But programs can reorder their rank list in between rounds, so a stronger applicant who applied later could leap frog applicants who remain available after the round ends.

I would apply at 5 PM with the caveat that if you have not been interviewed yet during SOAP, you will pobavly not get anything at this point no matter what you do, sorry.

Your odds were probably 10% for the first round, 2% for the second (Wed afternoon), and crumbs for the rest.

I would apply at 5 PM with the caveat that if you have not been interviewed yet during SOAP, you will pobavly not get anything at this point no matter what you do, sorry.

Your odds were probably 10% for the first round, 2% for the second (Wed afternoon), and crumbs for the rest.

Time to face it.

yyyep! =/

Just accepted an offer (one of 3 offers from 8 tele interviews). I had to decide between 1 IM cat and 2 prelim surgs. Good news, that means 2 unfilled spots back in the pool for you guys but I guess the numbers of unfilled will still be dwindled as stated from those above.

Good luck everybody.

Just accepted an offer (one of 3 offers from 8 tele interviews). I had to decide between 1 IM cat and 2 prelim surgs. Good news, that means 2 unfilled spots back in the pool for you guys but I guess the numbers of unfilled will still be dwindled as stated from those above.

Good luck everybody.
which one did you take?

^^ you're not waiting till 5pm? you're gonna risk "wasting" applications?

^^ you're not waiting till 5pm? you're gonna risk "wasting" applications?

just takin a peek bro. and from what it looks like i already applied to most of the ones that are currently unfilled.

haven't decided what time i will apply at.

just takin a peek bro. and from what it looks like i already applied to most of the ones that are currently unfilled.

haven't decided what time i will apply at.

What's the count of remaining unfilled spots? (And could someone remind me of the original count, was it 1124?)

Also, any radiology spots still there?

so, a program interviewed me for a categorical spot during the regular interview season and didnt rank me high, fine, there were better candidates. but now they ahve a pre lim spot, which still isnt taken, and i havent heard from them....

Plsgimmiejob, I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a question. 1. are you an FMG and 2. did this program offer prematch positions too?

If you're an FMG and this program offered prematch, I think I have your answer.

i am US citizen IMG, they didnt offer any prematches this year.

What's the difference between: "Internal Medicine" and "Internal Medicine/Psychiatry"?

What's the difference between: "Internal Medicine" and "Internal Medicine/Psychiatry"?

Come on man. One is IM, the other is a dual IM/Psych program.

Plsgimmejob...must be a different program then. Some programs are pretty sneaky. They say they offer a certain number of spots, interviewing everyone. They give the FMGs the prematch positions. Then for the match, they only rank AMGs. It's their way of insuring they get at least a few AMGs in the year while still filling most of their spots, (even if they have to hold off for the SOAP for the desperate AMGs). It's very sneaky but it is done.

dang.... o well, hopefully it all works out, but its out of my hands at this pt. Albuterol, can i ask what u were originally applying for?

dang... well gl to u and everyone else who is struggling, for me it was OB

nothing.

what time yall applying at? waiting for 5pm list?

so lets be honest with each other, what is our chances now? 3%? not to be a debbie downer, just curious

so lets be honest with each other, what is our chances now? 3%? not to be a debbie downer, just curious

Depends, how many spots filled in the first round? Expect the same percentage or more to fill this round (since fewer people will probably get multiple offers in round 2).

3% is optimistic! I'd say we have better luck playing the lottery! lol. Now the odds are what? A few thousand people for 150 spots?

I'm just waiting until the updated list to apply to more programs.

3% is optimistic! I'd say we have better luck playing the lottery! lol. Now the odds are what? A few thousand people for 150 spots?

I'm just waiting until the updated list to apply to more programs.
so you're waiting till 5.

oh and at least 3% is better than 0% :(

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs[/YOUTUBE]

lol, this game is fun, takes my mind slightly off of soap till 5 pm and then again at 9 am

Depends, how many spots filled in the first round? Expect the same percentage or more to fill this round (since fewer people will probably get multiple offers in round 2).

Looks like 20 - 30%. I have a feeling that programs may look only at round 1 applicants even for the subsequent rounds.

Looks like 20 - 30%. I have a feeling that programs may look only at round 1 applicants even for the subsequent rounds.

20-30% filled, or unfilled? If only 20% filled in the first round that makes the situation muh better for you guys, but I'm guessing that 80% of the available programs filled and now there's only a few hundred left, right?

20-30% filled, or unfilled? If only 20% filled in the first round that makes the situation muh better for you guys, but I'm guessing that 80% of the available programs filled and now there's only a few hundred left, right?

20-30% filled. Remaining still unfilled. Not much better since the chances were~10% to start with, or less, depending on individual applicants.

Edit: oh sorry. 20-30% filled PROGRAMS and not necessarily spots. Don't know where the info on unfilled spots is.

interviewed 1/10, 1 program just emailed saying we're ranking u high,

got an offer from the emailing program during round 2.

The number of unfilled spots is actually down 50 percent after the first round. I did a swift calculation of two specialties. Don't know if this applies to all specialties though.

The number of unfilled spots is actually down 50 percent after the first round. I did a swift calculation of two specialties. Don't know if this applies to all specialties though.

Whatever the change in PGY1 surgery is would be the upper bound I'd imagine.

Would be happy to calculate the numbers for people if... :p