So, I left medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, but I thought adderall is the key to conquering med school?

IVE BEEN LIED TO ALL ALONG.

My university: the most competitive, throw you under the bus, step on anyone to succeed bunch I have seen. Wouldn't send a family member to 98% of them.
Majority of classmates I saw were indeed on Adderall. Sorry guys, adderall isn't the magic pill. The magic pill is Methamphetamine you fools been lied to!

Most (not all) the med students ARE gunners. The problem is, they aren't the top of their class anymore so they call the top performers gunners to feel better about their lack of performance on exams. Medicine has the most cut-throat individuals I have seen.

Hello all -- making this short and sweet. I appreciate all the responses I've gotten, but I must fully move on. If I haven't responded to your PM, I apologize -- I am doing creative work for a start-up company and I have just begun studying for the GRE, so my time is already limited. It is all very exciting!! Best of luck to everyone on here, keep fighting that good fight. You are all inspiring. :horns:
-Rachel

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird, most people don't realize how different they are on amphetamines. They really make you a different person, and it is rarely a better one. You're more focused, but less... You? I totally lost my sense of humor, and didn't have the patience to listen to people, etc. I hated how I felt on it.

Good luck down the road though. You're on the right track.

Sorry just had to comment. I have severe ADHD (it's a weird form called hyperfocus). My son has it too which isn't great either... so I took adderral during my UG for a few months and the doctor said to play with the dose until it was working for me. Started at 10 mg which worked for a few days then that dose didn't do anything, upped it to 20 mg, same thing after a few days. Then I went to 40 mg every 3 hours nd I seriously felt like I was going to die- I obviously wasn't taking it right. It freaked me the hell out. I still think I need to take some sort of medication but I'm freaked out by it. Hmm...

Hello all -- making this short and sweet. I appreciate all the responses I've gotten, but I must fully move on. If I haven't responded to your PM, I apologize -- I am doing creative work for a start-up company and I have just begun studying for the GRE, so my time is already limited. It is all very exciting!! Best of luck to everyone on here, keep fighting that good fight. You are all inspiring. :horns:
-Rachel

I wish the best. You made a great decision for yourself. Stay focussed. Everyone seems to think they need cookie-cutter careers, this is not the case. Don't listen to med students they are the worst to give advice because they lack experience in life. Follow what you enjoy and you will be successful because you will be driven to wake up in the morning. Most of these people, the only thing that gets them up everyday is the alarm clock. Study hard for the GRE.

I am glad to see that you are moving on to something that feels meaningful and manageable for you! I am an older student (28 when I start this summer) and this gave me some insight into what to expect. Luckily (I guess?), I went through a lot of death and tragedy in my teen years, so I do believe I have quite a thick skin for stress. I've already known that staying awake and staying healthy is going to be hard for me. When I was 22, I could stay up for days with some energy drinks and study my face off. Can't do that anymore! I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

-Rachel

We will all look forward to expecting many other posts from you despite your claims.

Reactions: 4 users
I am glad to see that you are moving on to something that feels meaningful and manageable for you! I am an older student (28 when I start this summer) and this gave me some insight into what to expect. Luckily (I guess?), I went through a lot of death and tragedy in my teen years, so I do believe I have quite a thick skin for stress. I've already known that staying awake and staying healthy is going to be hard for me. When I was 22, I could stay up for days with some energy drinks and study my face off. Can't do that anymore! I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Some rep dropped off a case of five hour energy shots at work, my dad told me not to try them but I didn't listen obviously, and my hands were shaking so much I couldn't even hold a pair of forceps. Wtf

Reactions: 1 user
Some rep dropped off a case of five hour energy shots at work, my dad told me not to try them but I didn't listen obviously, and my hands were shaking so much I couldn't even hold a pair of forceps. Wtf

The first time I had 5 Hour Energy I had some pretty impressive facial flushing and tremors. It was... a good time?

Wait, but I thought adderall is the key to conquering med school?

IVE BEEN LIED TO ALL ALONG.
It was the key for some people to being or staying at the top. I don't judge them for doing so though. I think it more points to the system in which gaining a real edge, no matter the cost, can make a huge difference in terms of career. I came close to trying.

I only saw the positives and not the behind-the-scenes negatives that @Mad Jack and @whizatphys mentioned here. Dragonj's posts to SouthernSurgeon, regarding his adderall use scared the living crap out of me, so I guess I dodged a bullet there.

The first time I had 5 Hour Energy I had some pretty impressive facial flushing and tremors. It was... a good time?

Is this after taking 1? 5-hour energy is my go-to medicine. Fixes every problem under the sun.

Yeah. My first one, and my LAST.

Also they taste gross

lol to each their own - I love them... however... do you not handle caffeine well? I mean those are some weird symptoms... do you drink coffee or anything caffeinated often?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol to each their own - I love them... however... do you not handle caffeine well? I mean those are some weird symptoms... do you drink coffee or anything caffeinated often?

Tons of chai at home

Coffee at work throughout the day mostly bc that's what my girls make for me

The caffeine in the chai and the coffee doesn't really do anything to me

Tons of chai at home

Coffee at work throughout the day mostly bc that's what my girls make for me

The caffeine in the chai and the coffee doesn't really do anything to me

weird.... I drink 1-2 red bulls a day and maybe 3-4 cans of coke. Given those don't do much for me either. Dont drink coffee... but the 5 hour energy seriously is like the best feeling. I assume it's close to what feeling high is like :soexcited:

After almost completing year two, I voluntarily withdrew from medical school. Truthfully, I couldn't handle the stress without being an unhealthy person. For anyone who is interested, or who may be struggling with a similar decision, I've recorded a video discussing my experience:

I'm 28 and am doing very well in medical school... I don't think it was your brain getting easily fatigued, you probably just psyched yourself out and didn't have good studying skills. Sorry it didn't work out for you! I wish I was in your school, would have helped you out! Good luck though. But to everyone else, you can do it.. just a matter of paying attention to what works and what doesn't work and knowing when to ask people for help and suggestions.

I am so happy someone said this. I struggled so much through pre-med because everyone has this "I am on top of the world" attitude, and he entire time I felt like the one person not moving up to speed. However, most pre-meds were 19-21 living with their parents and engaged in every club. As opposed to me being independent having two jobs besides three classes. My low grades never affected me as much as everyone's attitude that I was somehow DUMB. I think that at this point I have accepted that I am different and HUMBLE and will never wanna be one of this factory made gunners. NO! I will not become like THEM.

That being sad, medicine as a community sucks. everyone trying to compete with each other and push each other down. When I do attend med school I will make a support group for anyone struggling, I know I will.

Best thing that'll ever happen to you; trust me. Medicine sucks and most doctors are intolerable hard-ons. I've been doing this for 15+ years so I have a little bit of experience.

Reactions: 2 users
After almost completing year two, I voluntarily withdrew from medical school. Truthfully, I couldn't handle the stress without being an unhealthy person. For anyone who is interested, or who may be struggling with a similar decision, I've recorded a video discussing my experience:

I'm not in medical school, but holy crap, I felt the same way when I was in my occupational therapy program.. Bad memories......(shivers)

weird.... I drink 1-2 red bulls a day and maybe 3-4 cans of coke. Given those don't do much for me either. Dont drink coffee... but the 5 hour energy seriously is like the best feeling. I assume it's close to what feeling high is like :soexcited:

I can't with the soda. No thank you.

Then again I do drink my coffee and chai with a straw and only touch red wine if it's all that's around. And even then, with a straw. Dentist teeth paranoia and all

Reactions: 1 users
Plot twist, and I'm not even kidding, I'm allergic to 5 hour energy and have a very low tolerance for caffeine. What ever will I do!?

Caffeine doesn't work on me any ways. I am an avid tea drinker so I don't even feel it. Recently I have switched to pink Kashmiri tea but it takes an awful long time to make.

Caffeine doesn't work on me any ways. I am an avid tea drinker so I don't even feel it. Recently I have switched to pink Kashmiri tea but it takes an awful long time to make.

....what is this pink tea and where can I find it?!

Don't say in Kashmir.

Yes, but I also fell asleep with caffeine. Not related to stimulants, I am doing a sleep study soon. Regardless of the sleepiness I do well in class
I can drink 3 energy drinks and fall right to sleep! (prior to caffeine intolerance). Now I get ocular migraines if I have more than one cup of regular coffee. In the same boat. Damn thyroid.... lol

Okay, five hour energy. I learned my lesson about them and how they work with me.
Myself: I will literally crash at five hours. I found this out when I did my normal routine of waking early to review before an exam. Took a five hour, felt good. Exam came and I crashed. I didn't fail. But I learned my lesson: take one five hour before and then another five hour 1 hour before the exam.
I actually think they're a gimmick which is why I haven't touched the stuff since second year.

Edit: I also probably have the worst caffeine tolerance imaginable. Only because I started drinking coffee at 12 and it's only been downhill from there.

I watched your video and had a few questions:

1) how much debt are you in from med school?
2) what are you planning to do now?
3) how did it feel to fail?
4) how did it feel to quit?

Thank you

Wow questions 3 and 4? Who said she failed? Who said she quit? By making her life healthier its actually winning.

Ironic you would say I'm attacking you, when you have no qualms of doing the same to me (and others). If you didn't notice gunners in your class, then you weren't looking hard enough.

Maybe she isnt nosey and has no interest in pjtting judgment on others. Some people just dont care about gunners or no gunners and move on with med school. Cut the drama....either way we will all be Drs. Just saying

Wow questions 3 and 4? Who said she failed? Who said she quit? By making her life healthier its actually winning.
Agreed. Medical school is not for everyone, especially if your heart isn't in it for the right reasons.

I'm just grouchy bc tax day is rapidly approaching.

Edit- and bags and shooz are not things I can write off. Or airplane tickets. Or alcohol. Or Nutella. What tf

Yeah that nutella bill rapes me. Need to work for them.

@ OP you could always become a NP or PA if you're still interested in them medicines. If you like magic, naturopath is always a good option.

images

Okay, five hour energy. I learned my lesson about them and how they work with me.
Myself: I will literally crash at five hours. I found this out when I did my normal routine of waking early to review before an exam. Took a five hour, felt good. Exam came and I crashed. I didn't fail. But I learned my lesson: take one five hour before and then another five hour 1 hour before the exam.
I actually think they're a gimmick which is why I haven't touched the stuff since second year.

Edit: I also probably have the worst caffeine tolerance imaginable. Only because I started drinking coffee at 12 and it's only been downhill from there.

Why would a twelve year old drink coffee

I really appreciate this video- could not have come at a better time. The junction between M2-M3 seems to be a harbinger for **** to come. It's true on all accounts, faculty/other students like to make you **** your pants about grades, ranking, gunning etc. Not the type of environment conducive to mental well being. Secondly too,that school provides very little wiggle room when crap does hit the fan personally or professionally. That is probably one of its biggest downfalls- not providing adequate support for real people in the real world who deal with real **** (which is presumably everyone). Some schools are better than others with this, but it's hard to gauge a school's character before you even step foot on campus. This is exacerbated by loose connections with other students. thank you again...

I really appreciate this video- could not have come at a better time. The junction between M2-M3 seems to be a harbinger for **** to come. It's true on all accounts, faculty/other students like to make you **** your pants about grades, ranking, gunning etc. Not the type of environment conducive to mental well being. Secondly too,that school provides very little wiggle room when crap does hit the fan personally or professionally. That is probably one of its biggest downfalls- not providing adequate support for real people in the real world who deal with real **** (which is presumably everyone). Some schools are better than others with this, but it's hard to gauge a school's character before you even step foot on campus. thank you again...
hmm didn't know sdn "****" everything.

I'm just grouchy bc tax day is rapidly approaching.

Edit- and bags and shooz are not things I can write off. Or airplane tickets. Or alcohol. Or Nutella. What tf
What's wrong with tax day? Claim zero exemptions if employed and you should be okay (if I remember correctly, you're W2, right?).

What's wrong with tax day? Claim zero exemptions if employed and you should be okay (if I remember correctly, you're W2, right?).

Yeah, W2'ed
Somehow I always end up owing. Last year it was like 7k, I made more money (on paper) in 14, and nothing else really changed so..not looking forward to whatever hit I'm going to have to take.

Some of the factors I weighed when I applied only DO were exactly the things she brought up as a problem, largely to do with culture and fit. It actually makes me feel a lot better about my decision, because I'd have probably ended up like her if I'd gone MD.
Don't fool yourself. DO schools also offer insufferable overachievers, if not more so because they "feel shafted" and have to prove their worth to PDs...
<---- speaking from experience

Don't fool yourself. DO schools also offer insufferable overachievers, if not more so because they "feel shafted" and have to prove their worth to PDs...
<---- speaking from experience
We don't have any in my particular class. But I'm sure there's plenty of them out there, at other schools and in other classes.

The weird feelings people get from 5hr energy is usually bc of the niacin "flush" not really the caffeine. It has (as the commercials love to say) "the same amount of caffeine as a regular cup of coffee!".

Status
Not open for further replies.