This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kit_kat10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been a lurker here but I was hoping to get a few questions clarified. I did my undergrad at a research heavy uni (UCD) ~sgpa 2.9, cgpa 3.2) and now finishing up my 1 year formal post bac at a state university which I did well in. Now I’m looking at SMP and considering if I should do one? I’m not applying until Summer 2020 because I’m taking my MCAT Jan 2020. But I’m in a dilemma of if I should start a SMP after I apply next year (so do a SMP in the year I’m doing applications) so if I don’t get in anywhere, I would have a SMP that can potentially help. But like I said I’m not sure since I did a post bac already so any input would be appreciated.

The SMP I was looking at were BU, cincinnati, EVMS, Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

So I’ve been a lurker here but I was hoping to get a few questions clarified. I did my undergrad at a research heavy uni (UCD) ~sgpa 2.9, cgpa 3.2) and now finishing up my 1 year formal post bac at a state university which I did well in. Now I’m looking at SMP and considering if I should do one? I’m not applying until Summer 2020 because I’m taking my MCAT Jan 2020. But I’m in a dilemma of if I should start a SMP after I apply next year (so do a SMP in the year I’m doing applications) so if I don’t get in anywhere, I would have a SMP that can potentially help. But like I said I’m not sure since I did a post bac already so any input would be appreciated.

The SMP I was looking at were BU, cincinnati, EVMS, Loyola

If you you're looking to matriculate into an MD school, then doing a SMP will certainly help improve your chances. It really depends on your MCAT score. Some schools like EVMS, Gtown, and UCinn encourage their SMP students to apply to medical schools during the SMP year. Others like Tufts, BU encourage students to wait until after they complete their SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey bud I was in similar position. I did under grad, 1 year postbac and recently got accepted to EVMS 1 year med masters. Your gpa is right around my gpa so I think youd have a good shot. Hope you did well on mcat or good luck on it.

Some schools like EVMS, Gtown, and UCinn encourage their SMP students to apply to medical schools during the SMP year. Others like Tufts, BU encourage students to wait until after they complete their SMP.

Just wanted to add in the case of Cincy particularly, that the guaranteed interview is after* you finish/graduate the program; so you would have to take a glide year. Not sure how they look at those who apply the same cycle, thought I can’t imagine they’d look badly on it. Just an fyi :)