Skilled nursing facility Clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptmonster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody give me an insight regarding your experience with skilled nursing facility clinicals?
Whats the caseload?
Patient population?
Frequently used test and measures?
Documentation system?

Members don't see this ad.

@ptmonster I am a new grad working in a SNF and had my final clinical in a SNF as well. Currently I work at a facility that sees long term residents, short term rehab, and outpatient (typically from the facility’s ILF and ALF) and my clinical was similar. So to answer your questions...
1. My caseload is typically about 6-9 patients a day w/85% productivity expectations. I am one of 2 evaluating therapists and we have 2-3 PTAs
2. I see patients with a variety of conditions: ortho (hip/knee/back pain and post op, quite a few s/p hip surgery following falls), neuro here and there (post stroke, Parkinson’s, balance, vestibular....it’s a pretty good variety
3. Most frequently I use Berg, TUG, 30 sec sit to stand, 5x sit to stand....the facility likes us to use tinetti
4. Both my clinical and current facility use Casamba but will be switching to Rehab Optima soon

Hope that was helpful :)

When I was doing my internship:
Whats the caseload? 3-5 patients/day (either evals or treatment). (I was doing about 30-50% caseload of real PT since it was my 1st internship. My CI was super chill, so my days were short and stress-free lol.)
Patient population? Could be anything: post any disease/ injury/ surgery, COPD, CHF, CKF, PD, post-falls...
Frequently used test and measures? TUG, 30 sec chair rise test... Or you can pick your own outcome measures.
Documentation system?[/QUOTE] Matrix, then switched to rehab Optima.