Ideas on developing better communication skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyduck_0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 1st year. I'm noticing myself blanking on words and stuttering whenever I get put on the spot, like during practicals. Even sometimes in regular conversation. Any ideas on how I can be more confident and eloquent when speaking? I've always be on the quiet shy side and am so jealous of my classmates that speak so easily. How do I get to that point?
This has always been my #1 concern with pursuing PT, always felt like I wasn't extroverted enough.
Any advice from other "shy" PTs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently a 1st year. I'm noticing myself blanking on words and stuttering whenever I get put on the spot, like during practicals. Even sometimes in regular conversation. Any ideas on how I can be more confident and eloquent when speaking? I've always be on the quiet shy side and am so jealous of my classmates that speak so easily. How do I get to that point?
This has always been my #1 concern with pursuing PT, always felt like I wasn't extroverted enough.
Not a shy person, but this helped me when I drew a total blank on exams:

Do you have anyone you study with? We used to do round robin type study sessions, especially in anatomy. It was horribly uncomfortable at first but really helped with info recall and may help with you blanking out. "Katherine name the O/I/B/N/A of the whatever muscle" as an example.

For practicals, if it was material I was really uncomfortable with, I'd script myself. And just kind of patter out loud by myself or with classmates until I felt more comfortable with whatever it was I was trying to say. I don't like to work with scripts or flash cards but sometimes it helped me to organize my thoughts, but when practicing out loud, I wouldn't look at them.

I think having people to study with is essential, to help your recall become faster and more efficient, and to help with the speaking. And the shyness.

You don't need to be an extrovert to be a PT! Just need to be able to talk to people.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about during interactions with patients, e.g. when explaining PT/anatomy/whatever-things to lay people? Or are you just talking about in general/with everyone...always?

If the former, metaphors and analogies have always helped me talk with patients. Also, educating your friends, family, significant other (anyone not healthcare) helps, too.

If the latter, that is beyond my skill team.

GL

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year student as well and also a little bit shy. Something that has really helped me is practicing skills with a close friend of mine in the program, first starting with some notes to help, but transitioning to not using any notes and almost "performing" like I am in a real practical. I also stand in front of a mirror when I'm at home and see myself talking, which help me catch times when I get caught up.

Another thing that has helped is taking full advantage of practicing skills with family or friends that don't know anything about physical therapy, so that it is like a simulation of a real patient. Sometimes practicing with people in your cohort can get too comfortable and not simulate an actual patient experience.

Overall, something I have to tell myself is that I've worked really hard and have learned so much. Being confident is half the battle when public speaking, especially in things like practicals or presentations in front of faculty.

Hope this helped!