Program-Specific Info / Q's SJSU 2019-2020 MSOT Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m_hartford

Reaction score
Hi all!

I haven't seen a thread for this upcoming year's applicants to SJSU's MSOT program. Would love to connect with others who are in the process of applying as well. Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone made it out to an information session at SJSU for the program yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a few info sessions last year. They were very helpful!

Thanks for starting a thread btw! (I was accepted last year but decided not to attend due to personal reasons, so I am reapplying this year!)

Ooh! Congrats on the acceptance last year! You'll be a pro for this thread then. :)

And good to know that we should stick with the 500 word limit (in response to your response on another thread). Did you double space it? I realize that doing that makes it 2 pages, but had heard they prefer it to be double spaced...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm also apply to SJSU. Been to one info session but I also went to SJSU so I know a bit.
Still nerve wrecking though especially for my personal statement

Hi aleOT22!

I feel the same! I've been reworking that personal statement over and over again. So hard to make it memorable in such a small space!
Have you guys checked out other OT programs? Wondering how SJSU may be different from the other local ones - did they review that at all during info sessions?

Hi aleOT22!

I feel the same! I've been reworking that personal statement over and over again. So hard to make it memorable in such a small space!
Have you guys checked out other OT programs? Wondering how SJSU may be different from the other local ones - did they review that at all during info sessions?

Me too with the personal statement. I had it at 1000 words for other schools but realized you can't change the file after submitting once on OTCAS I think? I'm still a bit over 500 words

I've been checking out CSUDH, Samuel Merrit, Stanbridge, USC and Dominican. I don't remember them talking about other programs.

Question - since you went to SJSU, do you still have to send GAPE/OT department your transcripts from there?

You send it to GAPE and OTCAS but not in the physical mail to OT department
Things sent on GAPE is not sent to their department

Hey all! Filling out the cal state apply form now - I'd read on other forums that we would need to input our transcripts all over again. But I'm not seeing that...they're only asking for GPA? Is this maybe a new thing? Are you guys seeing the same?

Hey all! Filling out the cal state apply form now - I'd read on other forums that we would need to input our transcripts all over again. But I'm not seeing that...they're only asking for GPA? Is this maybe a new thing? Are you guys seeing the same?
FYI, in case anyone's wondering, I just got confirmation that they've removed the transcript entry portion for graduate applications for the 2020-2021 year, yay!

FYI, in case anyone's wondering, I just got confirmation that they've removed the transcript entry portion for graduate applications for the 2020-2021 year, yay!
Awesome, it's a pain to put it all it!

Hey, for the SJSU statement of purpose it said: If your program does not require a statement of purpose, enter Not Applicable to advance your application. Do we have to write on for SJSU? is there any advantages

Hi all! Is the personal statement for SJSU different than the OTCAS statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, for the SJSU statement of purpose it said: If your program does not require a statement of purpose, enter Not Applicable to advance your application. Do we have to write on for SJSU? is there any advantages

Hi all! Is the personal statement for SJSU different than the OTCAS statement?

I just copied the same statement from OTCAS into Cal State.

This is from last year's forum (Program-Specific Info / Q's - SJSU 2018-2019 Cycle Applicants):

I copy/pasted my personal statement from OTCAS into Cal State Apply. They will definitely read the OTCAS one. Not sure if anyone reads the Cal State Apply one, but don't leave it blank!

Cal State Apply is essentially applying to SJSU GAPE. It looks almost exactly like OTCAS. Unfortunately, it does feel like filling out the same exact application twice with extra fees, but SJSU graduate admissions is pretty separate from the SJSU OT office. They sorta communicate with each other, but not really lol I can't describe it better than that!

I'm a little confused about the volunteer evaluation forms. On the website it says " Please provide information regarding your observation hours with an OTR/L on OTCAS AND please submit the completed, signed, and sealed Volunteer Evaluation Form", but it also states that we can't have an OT who completed our letter of recommendation also complete the volunteer evaluation. Are the volunteer evaluations supposed to be from everyone we have volunteer/healthcare experience with then who hasn't written our letters of rec?

I'm a little confused about the volunteer evaluation forms. On the website it says " Please provide information regarding your observation hours with an OTR/L on OTCAS AND please submit the completed, signed, and sealed Volunteer Evaluation Form", but it also states that we can't have an OT who completed our letter of recommendation also complete the volunteer evaluation. Are the volunteer evaluations supposed to be from everyone we have volunteer/healthcare experience with then who hasn't written our letters of rec?
Hello! I’m currently a first-year at SJSU. Not sure if you’ve gotten more input about this. These instructions were also confusing to me when I was applying. You will submit your description and hours on OTCAS and then you will be submitting a physical application to the OT department. Because the OT you shadowed can write a letter of rec for you BUT someone else needs to complete the evaluation.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, 2nd year here. When I applied, I had a LOR from an OT I shadowed, a professor, and a former boss. For the evaluation form, I asked the head of the OT department at a hospital I volunteered at to fill it out. Hope that helps!

Hey all! I remember reading in another thread that people posted timestamps for their application - is there somewhere we can look to see whether or not the OT department has reviewed our application yet? Or that they've received our materials? Or were the timestamps only for GAPE?

Hey all! I remember reading in another thread that people posted timestamps for their application - is there somewhere we can look to see whether or not the OT department has reviewed our application yet? Or that they've received our materials? Or were the timestamps only for GAPE?

Hey!
I think the timestamp refers to when we look onto our SJSU account, it has a date to the right of our application standing. I'm personally checking my application status/ email multiple ties a day even though I am aware it is premature As long as you've turned in your stuff, and on your SJSU account it says Referred to Grad Dept with no To Do items I think you should be good!

Hey!
I think the timestamp refers to when we look onto our SJSU account, it has a date to the right of our application standing. I'm personally checking my application status/ email multiple ties a day even though I am aware it is premature As long as you've turned in your stuff, and on your SJSU account it says Referred to Grad Dept with no To Do items I think you should be good!
I wonder if since the OT dept and GAPE don't communicate if the OT dept will let us know if we're missing anything? I shipped my documents, and am a little paranoid about whether or not they got the materials! Anyone go as far as checking in with the Dr. Smith or Elaine about whether or not they received the materials?

I wonder if since the OT dept and GAPE don't communicate if the OT dept will let us know if we're missing anything? I shipped my documents, and am a little paranoid about whether or not they got the materials! Anyone go as far as checking in with the Dr. Smith or Elaine about whether or not they received the materials?

I tried emailing and confirming my packet was received and dated. On October 1st Elaine confirmed that she got envelope in the mail. She said she would let me know when it was timestamped. Never heard from her. On October 19th I tried to follow up and ask whether it had been timestamped yet, and I still haven't heard back from her. I was just guessing they got busy. It is a little nerve-wracking not knowing!!

I've read in previous forums and heard from a current SJSU student that people start hearing back in November! I'll be anxiously rocking myself back and forth in a corner haha, good luck to everyone! has anyone got any new updates ?

I've read in previous forums and heard from a current SJSU student that people start hearing back in November! I'll be anxiously rocking myself back and forth in a corner haha, good luck to everyone! has anyone got any new updates ?
I haven't yet :( I emailed them asking a few questions and haven't gotten any responses. The only update I have is on my application portal saying my app has been referred to the department. From what I saw a few people hear back in November but the majority of people heard back much later, some even in March so I have no idea what to expect haha

Do you guys know if it matters how many evaluations we fill out outside of the 3 LORs? I only was able to get one from my supervisor at my job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys know if it matters how many evaluations we fill out outside of the 3 LORs? I only was able to get one from my supervisor at my job.

I believe one is needed. I don't think they will look at more than one eval just as they won't look at more than 3 LOR.

I haven't yet :( I emailed them asking a few questions and haven't gotten any responses. The only update I have is on my application portal saying my app has been referred to the department. From what I saw a few people hear back in November but the majority of people heard back much later, some even in March so I have no idea what to expect haha
my friend got provisionally accepted on Monday!!

Congrats to your friend! They must be super exceptional to be accepted so early on. May I ask what is your friend's stats if you happen to know? :)

Congrats to your friend! They must be super exceptional to be accepted so early on. May I ask what is your friend's stats if you happen to know? :)
she had like a 3.4 undergrad gpa, B in anatomy (took it twice, got a B both times), GRE was pretty solid though. honestly i dont think its that helpful to compare stats, I got in last year and I had a minimum GRE score, 3.5 gpa, only like 35 hours of volunteering lol. I feel like the applicants they select will always vary in strengths and weaknesses

she had like a 3.4 undergrad gpa, B in anatomy (took it twice, got a B both times), GRE was pretty solid though. honestly i dont think its that helpful to compare stats, I got in last year and I had a minimum GRE score, 3.5 gpa, only like 35 hours of volunteering lol. I feel like the applicants they select will always vary in strengths and weaknesses

That is true. I think the waiting game is making me a little crazy. :( I just have to remind myself that as long as I am not rejected, I still have a chance. :)

That is true. I think the waiting game is making me a little crazy. :( I just have to remind myself that as long as I am not rejected, I still have a chance. :)
Yeah I totally get it. Last year I didn't get in until March, when my friends got accepted in December. I think fixating on people's stats actually made me more anxious, because I didn't feel like I measured up. But knowing now that schools look at applicants holistically and accept people with all kinds of stats is actually assuring I think! Good luck, hang in there :)

Yeah I totally get it. Last year I didn't get in until March, when my friends got accepted in December. I think fixating on people's stats actually made me more anxious, because I didn't feel like I measured up. But knowing now that schools look at applicants holistically and accept people with all kinds of stats is actually assuring I think! Good luck, hang in there :)

Are you in the program now? What's the schedule like? Just wanting to plan ahead for childcare needs in case I get in

Good luck everyone! It seems they started accepting from this account :) Also Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate it!

I was talking to Dr. Gigi today about how I got into the program with an overall GPA of 2.5... and that was after taking all the prereqs! She said they really only look at the last 60 units and how well you did in the prereqs. For me, that was a 4.0 in prereqs and my last 60 was a 3.8. So, thank goodness they didn't look at my overall GPA haha.

As for schedule, it really varies. My first year, I had classes from 9am to 4:30 pm Tuesday thru Thursday, roughly. Others had Monday thru Thursday with some variation of half days. There are some classes that will have online time so you may have a half day here or there too. Expect to spend that time or off days doing some sort of fieldwork/internship (various settings and amounts of time you'll need to go each semester). I'm in my second year now and I have classes from 9-4:30 on Monday's and Wednesday's but have clinic for 3 hours each day on Thursday's and Friday's. My Tuesday's are free, which is not common.

If you need to organize childcare or work a job to offset some of the costs of moving, tuition, living, etc... you'll have to plan semester by semester as schedules are determined by the head of the dept. You don't make your own schedule such as in undergrad. There are many jobs on campus that are super flexible.

Hope that helps! I check the threads pretty often and can ask Dr Gigi or whoever questions here and there that y'all may have.

I was talking to Dr. Gigi today about how I got into the program with an overall GPA of 2.5... and that was after taking all the prereqs! She said they really only look at the last 60 units and how well you did in the prereqs. For me, that was a 4.0 in prereqs and my last 60 was a 3.8. So, thank goodness they didn't look at my overall GPA haha.

As for schedule, it really varies. My first year, I had classes from 9am to 4:30 pm Tuesday thru Thursday, roughly. Others had Monday thru Thursday with some variation of half days. There are some classes that will have online time so you may have a half day here or there too. Expect to spend that time or off days doing some sort of fieldwork/internship (various settings and amounts of time you'll need to go each semester). I'm in my second year now and I have classes from 9-4:30 on Monday's and Wednesday's but have clinic for 3 hours each day on Thursday's and Friday's. My Tuesday's are free, which is not common.

If you need to organize childcare or work a job to offset some of the costs of moving, tuition, living, etc... you'll have to plan semester by semester as schedules are determined by the head of the dept. You don't make your own schedule such as in undergrad. There are many jobs on campus that are super flexible.

Hope that helps! I check the threads pretty often and can ask Dr Gigi or whoever questions here and there that y'all may have.

Thanks it makes me feel a little better. How do we know if all the components needed are received? For the packets, can we check with the Grad Assistant when our app is completed and time stamped? If they received my packet does this mean they can start reviewing my app?

Thanks it makes me feel a little better. How do we know if all the components needed are received? For the packets, can we check with the Grad Assistant when our app is completed and time stamped? If they received my packet does this mean they can start reviewing my app?

Yup! I emailed Elaine, the grad assistant, who checked when my application was time stamped and ready to review :) She's super amazing and gets back pretty quickly

Thank you for all that info! Would you say that SJSU lets you know by date of application received? I'm getting nervous because mine was time stamped to review on the 2nd, and am unsure how much time will go by before I admit defeat lol. Or is the rolling admissions more of a loose term for how SJSU runs their acceptances?

Yup! I emailed Elaine, the grad assistant, who checked when my application was time stamped and ready to review :) She's super amazing and gets back pretty quickly

Thanks! I think she is swamped. I emailed her last week and have yet to hear back. I'll check with her again. :)

Yup, Elaine is swamped right now. End of the semester projects, presentations, and finals coming up... plus the grad assistant admission stuff and a board member of a club. They stay busy. I'm more of an unofficial consultant lol

To be brief, if Elaine gets back to you on a timestamp and says you don't need anything else for your application, then you're good-to-go. You just wait for an acceptance or rejection email from Dr. Gigi (I think she's the one that sends them out). If you get a timestamp from Elaine and she says you're missing something, then you will need to get that done before they will consider your application.

Because of rolling admissions, if you pretty much meet all criteria, the earlier you sent in your application, the higher your chance of getting in. If you got all your transcripts and OT dept info to them on Oct 1 and they timestamped it in early Oct and you met all criteria, you're pretty much in. A lot of people qualify for get into the program but many don't get in because they didn't get their packet to the OT dept in time before others.

I know it's a bit confusing, so I'll try to clarify later if there are more Q's.

Yup, Elaine is swamped right now. End of the semester projects, presentations, and finals coming up... plus the grad assistant admission stuff and a board member of a club. They stay busy. I'm more of an unofficial consultant lol

To be brief, if Elaine gets back to you on a timestamp and says you don't need anything else for your application, then you're good-to-go. You just wait for an acceptance or rejection email from Dr. Gigi (I think she's the one that sends them out). If you get a timestamp from Elaine and she says you're missing something, then you will need to get that done before they will consider your application.

Because of rolling admissions, if you pretty much meet all criteria, the earlier you sent in your application, the higher your chance of getting in. If you got all your transcripts and OT dept info to them on Oct 1 and they timestamped it in early Oct and you met all criteria, you're pretty much in. A lot of people qualify for get into the program but many don't get in because they didn't get their packet to the OT dept in time before others.

I know it's a bit confusing, so I'll try to clarify later if there are more Q's.
Thank you for all of this info!! Super helpful. I can’t imagine how much Elaine has to work on right now! I applied October 10th and sent everything in around then so I’m a little worried now but I guess we’ll see!

Thank you! I appreciate it MrTL. I do have a question about Fieldwork. When does that start and what locations does SJSU have to offer?

To be brief, if Elaine gets back to you on a timestamp and says you don't need anything else for your application, then you're good-to-go.

MrTL your posts have been so helpful! Thanks for helping us all out. Do you know if they only tell select applicants if their packet's been timestamped? Or should everyone who's applied expect to hear back?

If you want to know the timestamp, you'll have to ask Elaine and wait for her answer. I know people who got in and didn't even know what a timestamp was lol they just trusted their application was ready for review and then they got in. If you are missing anything and you don't reach out, I'm not sure if they would tell you that you are missing anything because you didn't inquire. They like when people take the initiative. Just don't bug out or get frustrated with Elaine and Dr. Gigi. They're doing their best!

Fieldwork 1 locations depend on where you live and what's available. Pretty much every setting and population is covered but what you receive just depends on what's available. Contracts change. OTs come and go that were our main sources of contact. Etc. I did 40 hours at a peds clinic 10 mins from my apt in San Jose. Others had to drive like 30 minutes to a TBI clinic or to a dementia center, etc etc. It may be a setting you've already done some volunteering at but to look at it from a different perspective with what you're concurrently learning.

Fieldwork 2 is two 3 month placements--one in a psychosocial setting and one in a physical disabilities setting. That will be the culmination of your learning and your ability to learn daily while actually practicing. You can worry about that one later haha but they also try their best to find something appropriate to your preferences... which is very nice because I've heard other schools just tell you where to go and don't take into consideration preferences at all!

I’m interested in applying but will not be able to apply until late Decemberbecause I haven’t take my GRE yet. Is there a chance if I do apply during that time? I know they’re deadline isn’t until March but I also know they’re rolling admission so I’m not sure if I should even apply.

I’m interested in applying but will not be able to apply until late Decemberbecause I haven’t take my GRE yet. Is there a chance if I do apply during that time? I know they’re deadline isn’t until March but I also know they’re rolling admission so I’m not sure if I should even apply.

From what I heard, they usually take people that apply from the beginning of the application (oct). It's more unlikely if you apply much later but if you have the funds, I think you can try any way.