Side jobs before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iridocyclitiss

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already planned out my vacation during match week. I can see the merit in doing more than a week's worth of vacation, but money is definitely tight after fourth year. I want to make even the smallest dent in my debt. Or move to where I'm doing residency. Did anyone else have a side hustle before residency, and is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to do a temp job that's impactful.

I would try to learn a lot about investing (Roth, 401/403, cash account... learn stocks, learn indexes, etc). Make a plan and a household budget.

Reactions: 1 users
Investing is the best side hustle. This year alone, my capital gains have total low 5 figures selling puts and calls. And being in the lowest tax bracket as a student, my taxes are minimal. Learn the market.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Investing is the best side hustle. This year alone, my capital gains have total low 5 figures selling puts and calls. And being in the lowest tax bracket as a student, my taxes are minimal. Learn the market.
Yep, good idea to sit down with a CFP (~$200 per hour usually) and discuss types of invest accounts, paying loans vs invest priorities, types of investments, etc.

There are a lot of good books also.... try a couple and then work with a pro to see if you're understanding it right.

Many people like White Coat Investor or Bogleheads... both pretty basic and pretty slanted to index investing, but good.

Investing is a great idea, esp if you have the $$$ for it. If you have a working car, you should consider driving for doordash or ubereats.
I personally cannot recommend working before residency and would travel and read up on surgeries on the downtime.

Enjoy the time off. The real fun will begin soon. :1devilish: :1geek:

i've paid off my tuition in my dealings with crypto

Reactions: 1 users
I have already planned out my vacation during match week. I can see the merit in doing more than a week's worth of vacation, but money is definitely tight after fourth year. I want to make even the smallest dent in my debt. Or move to where I'm doing residency. Did anyone else have a side hustle before residency, and is this a good idea?
Might be more worthwhile to visit some places where you might consider wanting to practice and see if they would let you work as a scribe, make some quick cash, network, and see if you like the people working there

Reactions: 1 user