Prevalence of hospital jobs/opportunities as a DPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nippyfan

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am heading to pod school this August and have shadowed podiatrists in private practice and I really like that aspect of the job but my dream would be to work in a hospital setting.

How difficult is it to land a hospital job as a DPM? When i look online on websites like apma.org or doccafe I see a few positions but mostly private practice positions...

I know I am getting a little ahead of myself, but how would one land a hospital job? Is it just word of mouth or how does that work?

The lack of jobs on these sites is also a little worrying tbh...am I just looking at all of this wrong or are jobs kind of scarce?

Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it... Not many jobs are posted publicly. Most are filled by referrals (impressed attendings of a residency). If they are, there is a website (I forget which site) that posts them, and you only have access through it via a subscription. I don't think it's affiliated with APMA.

Re; hospital jobs, they may be more likely to post them internally through their own HR department.

If you're worried about employment... Google Podiatrist unemployment rate. It's very low compared to most other sectors, and comparable to any other healthcare related field (generally low unemployment rates for licensed providers)

Reactions: 1 user
Also, it seems that sometimes there are hospitals without podiatrists, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use a podiatrist. If you can sell it too them, which shouldn't be too difficult since you could definitely make them money and bring a fairly unique set of skills to the table, they might make an opening just for you. It happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I work for a university hospital, got the job by word of mouth. Some people start the podiatry department on their own by going up to the hospital boss person, and just giving them their CV and letter of interest. There is more and more people with diabetes and foot infections showing up to the ER, so if you can get good at wound care and limb salvage, getting a hospital job would be that much easier.

Reactions: 4 users
I work for a university hospital, got the job by word of mouth. Some people start the podiatry department on their own by going up to the hospital boss person, and just giving them their CV and letter of interest. There is more and more people with diabetes and foot infections showing up to the ER, so if you can get good at wound care and limb salvage, getting a hospital job would be that much easier.
Hows the job if you don't mind my asking?

Aside from working out the kinks of a brand new service, the actual job part is awesome. Limb salvage in a hospital is where patients and family cry in gratitude when you save their feet (which isn't always easy or straightforward, and takes multiple surgeries). The annoying part is that being at a level 1 trauma hospital, emergent cases are the norm, so I&Ds, debridements and such on stable patients typically get bumped, meaning unpredictable OR start times for the urgent add-ons and being bumped sometimes until the evening which is fine, it's what I signed up for knowing it will happen.

Reactions: 5 users