sick days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do sick days work during pathology residency? If a resident is on a really busy surg path month, do they have to find somebody to cover for them? Is it not as big of a deal during less busy months? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

beary said:
How do sick days work during pathology residency? If a resident is on a really busy surg path month, do they have to find somebody to cover for them? Is it not as big of a deal during less busy months? Thanks.

I got the feeling that they will pull someone from a less busy rotation to cover your grossing load, like from a light autopsy day or some other light AP rotation. I guess if there is nobody they can pull to cover then it makes for a longer day for the other grossing residents and/or PAs. Thus, I think it is best to miss as little time as possible.

I did not miss a single day of medical school torture and I can't believe I still have my sanity. :eek:

People will cover if need be. If you abuse this, people will be a bit peeved though. Because people do have to pick up the slack. If the residents get along well together it isn't a problem. However, every program is always going to have one or two residents who always need someone to cover for them and are the last ones to volunteer to help out when help is needed. I am not sure what would happen if I called out sick this month - I guess the fellow and the attending would signout all the cases themselves (it would take longer because I wouldn't be dictating, and I wouldn't be there to explain everything from my grossing and previewing time). Then someone would have to gross in my specimens - although they would probably leave a lot of the bigger resections until the next day when I came back (because big resections aren't usually critical to get done quickly).

I don't plan on being out sick though...If I can breathe and walk I will go in - just leave some of the stuff that isn't critical until the following day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathologists don't get sick!
Seriously, it almost always creates problems and headaches when people call in sick. Also note, that if you're sick for an extended period, it COULD negate an entire training year. I think the rule is, that you must be in full-time training for 48 weeks per year, for that year to count towards your BE-status. So if you've just spend all your vacation time and then get seriously ill, you could be seriously in trouble...

There are sick days accounted for in residency. Here is a simple guide to decide whether or not you are sick enough to qualify for a sick day.

1) Roll up your sleeves
2) Inspect your arms and wrists completely
3) If you do not see an IV line inserted anywhere in your arms or wrists, you are not sick enough to take the day off.

Seriously, you are a resident now. You have real patient responsibility that will be thrust on others when you are not there. If you are really sick, then that is understandable. However, if you merely dont feel well, you need to suck it up.

It's true - if people are sick perhaps they just come in a little later or leave a little earlier, but only if their work is taken care of. I have had a couple of days where I was sick but I wasn't sick enough to stay home. But of course in emergencies people will cover, as I said. You just have to be careful and not make every slight thing an "emergency."

sohsie said:
There are sick days accounted for in residency. Here is a simple guide to decide whether or not you are sick enough to qualify for a sick day.

1) Roll up your sleeves
2) Inspect your arms and wrists completely
3) If you do not see an IV line inserted anywhere in your arms or wrists, you are not sick enough to take the day off.
:laugh: That clarifies things!

deschutes said:
sohsie is a veritable quote-generator! :laugh:

are you resident or staff, if you don't mind my asking?

Resident, currently hoping I dont have to go back to the hospital to cut in another "GU" case consisting of one short segment of ureter and 2 long segments of small intestine :-(

dont breathe on me