The old days of c.p.—- a tragedy in ? parts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted314957

As an associate a few decades ago I would have to take weekend call for our region. This involved ~12 community hospitals over an appropriate 20x20 mile urban/suburban area. Beyond the hated awfultopsy or frozen I had to “sign-out” all the cardiac enzyme series, any sort of mundane transfusion rxn and ALL electrophoresis procedures ( don’t really know if they are done anymore), crystals and any other clin path item you can think of. Corporations can charge it now no problem. Look at the report narratives. We can’t make much, if anything, off this anymore.

This, my friends, was lucrative. WTF happened.

Members don't see this ad.

As an associate a few decades ago I would have to take weekend call for our region. This involved ~12 community hospitals over an appropriate 20x20 mile urban/suburban area. Beyond the hated awfultopsy or frozen I had to “sign-out” all the cardiac enzyme series, any sort of mundane transfusion rxn and ALL electrophoresis procedures ( don’t really know if they are done anymore), crystals and any other clin path item you can think of. Corporations can charge it now no problem. Look at the report narratives. We can’t make much, if anything, off this anymore.

This, my friends, was lucrative. WTF happened.
This is especially true for our field, but applies to most professional "careers".
Advice from parents or other authority figures (whose minds are trapped in how good things once were) pressure us down slogging academic paths, filling our heads with the expectation of some imaginary future - one that doesn't exist.
Any thoughts about changing this forum's title to "The So-Called American Dream"?

Reactions: 1 user