Should Marijuana Be Legal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should marijuana use be legal?

• Yes, even for recreational use

Votes: 218 80.4%
  • Yes, but only for medicinal purposes

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 10.3%

• Total voters
I brought in some evidence to try to convince you why legal drugs aren't necessarily less problematic. My main argument is not that some drugs cause more deaths than others, therefore legalize them. I argue that you should have access to whatever it is in your pursuit of happiness as long as it doesn't affect anyone else. You guys are exhausting with these "Legal= good, illegal=bad" arguments.

Uh don't think I've been saying legal = good, illegal = bad at all this whole time but thanks for totally making that up out of nothing.

What happened in Portugal doesn't support your point at all. What they did was "de-criminalize" possession i.e. make it so you don't do jail time for possession. Possession is still illegal but now you get fined for it and if you're addicted you're recommended for a drug treatment program. Here's a list of the sanctions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal#Laws_and_regulations

Well herp-de-derp you think you're probably gonna get less addicts if you start taking all the people you were putting in short-term jail before and sending them to drug rehab now?

This doesn't resemble at all the unregulated legalized drug utopia you had in mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is more-or-less how it should be. Drugs should be legal and subject to similar regulations to alcohol. Who am I (and who are we) to decide what a person can or can't do?

Exceptions: I do not support legalization of drugs that affect non-compliant non-users...i.e:
CIGARETTES (Yeah, I said it): second hand smoke
Meth: toxic chemicals literally make areas uninhabitable for years - cause serious health problems in those exposed
Hallucinogenics/dissociatives (Mushrooms, Angel dust): Alter behavior in users drastically, and sometimes violentally.
Heroin: I think the same should apply to excessively addictive and debilitating drugs such as heroin. The addiction too frequently results in destructive, violent and criminal behavior due to desperation of acquiring a "fix".
Prescription drugs: They require a prescription for a reason.

etc.

this is my barely educated opinion, so please only take it as that. I believe that most of the drug-related problems in this country are due primarily to the criminal activity associated with smuggling and distributing the drugs.

Uhh, this post is full of contradictions. "Who am I (and who are we) to decide what a person can or can't do? " Your next sentence then subsequently lists what people can't do, and the exceptions that you list encompass a good amount of elicit drugs that you claim to not want to infringe on people's right to use. News flash: most of these drugs are illegal because they have the potential detrimentally impact non-users.

Uhh, this post is full of contradictions. "Who am I (and who are we) to decide what a person can or can't do? " Your next sentence then subsequently lists what people can't do, and the exceptions that you list encompass a good amount of elicit drugs that you claim to not want to infringe on people's right to use. News flash: most of these drugs are illegal because they have the potential detrimentally impact non-users.

Well, I guess I meant "Who am I (and who are we) to decide what a person can or can't do to himself?" If a person wants to blow lines all day, then be my guest. If he's into erotic asphyxiation, and wants to huff poppers and jerk it...be my guest, but leave me out of it. If a person wants to shoot another person in the head, then there is clearly a problem. Maybe I could have articulated it better, but I thought this was obvious from my post. Then again, I'm also tired from a long day at work.

Addendum: Marijuana, Cocaine, Crack, Heroin (to an extent) and other opiates (also to an extent), designer drugs etc do not have much of an effect on people other than the user - at least not moreso than the effects of alcohol on non-users. There are also OTHER drugs. The list goes on and on, and to list more drugs wouldn't change my point. My only point is that to end the expensive drug war, we need to diminish the weight of these victimless crimes, and entirely legalizing certain drugs would be a great way to do this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, boy pete. Oh, boy.

All I see is someone who is pushing his own prejudices about those who apparently aren't what you are (in this case, smokers and obese)

Let me ask you this. Do you drink, EVER? I'm sure you've been taught to counsel your patients on cutting down alcohol use. Aren't you a hypocrite if you drink, even socially?

Do you watch TV more than a few hours a day? Are you just the pinnacle of human society and don't do anything unhealthy ever in your entire life? If not, then you're clearly a hypocrite who shouldn't be allowed to tell patients they should spend more time exercising, eating healthier, etc. etc.

It's a very strong opinion you hold, and one that if you make it well known in real life, will not earn you many friends well wishers amongst your colleagues. Or your patients.

Reading the OP on http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952857 made me realize you seriously dislike and are creeped out by those who are unhealthy in anyway. Tough position if you want to have patients as any kind of a doctor...

Pretty sure he's a troll or he is probably one of the most vapid people I've ever encountered. Much of what he says is over-the-top unbelievable.

Well, I guess I meant "Who am I (and who are we) to decide what a person can or can't do to himself?" If a person wants to blow lines all day, then be my guest. If he's into erotic asphyxiation, and wants to huff poppers and jerk it...be my guest, but leave me out of it. If a person wants to shoot another person in the head, then there is clearly a problem. Maybe I could have articulated it better, but I thought this was obvious from my post. Then again, I'm also tired from a long day at work.

Addendum: Marijuana, Cocaine, Crack, Heroin (to an extent) and other opiates (also to an extent), designer drugs etc do not have much of an effect on people other than the user - at least not moreso than the effects of alcohol on non-users. There are also OTHER drugs. The list goes on and on, and to list more drugs wouldn't change my point. My only point is that to end the expensive drug war, we need to diminish the weight of these victimless crimes, and entirely legalizing certain drugs would be a great way to do this.

But that's the whole thing about drugs, they rarely only effect the person doing it. A heroin addict not only destroys his own life, he destroys his families, they often delve into doing crimes to getting their fix because they're so addicted, etc. Not to mention the health care costs associated with destroying your body with drugs is not just a cost that the person doing the drugs pays; it's a shared cost (as is smoking, obesity, and the like).

Pretty sure he's a troll or he is probably one of the most vapid people I've ever encountered. Much of what he says is over-the-top unbelievable.

He's gunna be the six pack doctor screaming at his fat patients. All the while thinking THAT is a better approach to connect with the patient than another fat guy saying "dude you need to get your weight under control and I know its tough". The bulk of his posts on the matter stank of the same disconnect as Romney trying to empathize with the poor (I'm republican btw, just realistic enough to see it how it is). I just think its funny that he claims to know the thought process of fat people. If I were obese I wouldn't want to listen to anything some granola munchin bike short wearing "pinnacle of health" doctor. I'll listen to the fat guy who has an idea of what I'm going through. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

But that's the whole thing about drugs, they rarely only effect the person doing it. A heroin addict not only destroys his own life, he destroys his families, they often delve into doing crimes to getting their fix because they're so addicted, etc. Not to mention the health care costs associated with destroying your body with drugs is not just a cost that the person doing the drugs pays; it's a shared cost (as is smoking, obesity, and the like).

I agree, sort of, because the only people I've really encountered with this sort of behavior are heroin and prescription narcotic users. I don't encounter very many meth-heads based on my geographical location, so I can't speak to this.

To your second point, I agree entirely. It's just like smoking and obesity, which are autonomous behavior which require unthinkable amounts medical spending, that we as tax payers (PPACA) reap the consequences of. However, I don't think it's entirely impossible to take this health care service away from junkies. A simple blood test will tell us if a patient is using, and I don't think health care should cover referrals or hospital stays for drug-abuse related medical problems (or smoking related problems for that matter....obesity is sometimes, though rarely, a more complicated issue, so I'll leave that out.)

I think that my opinion (all of my opinions, actually) is extreme idealism and might never happen, but I can only hope :)

Look at how lopsided this poll of future medical professionals is.

Legalize the damn thing

Look at how lopsided this poll of future medical professionals is.

It will definitely be legalized in our lifetime.

But there's no doubt, in my mind at least, that health care costs will rise as a result. Any abusable substance becoming legal will be a detriment to public health (and cannabis is abusable according the psychiatrists at my institution, btw.)

Last edited:
I'm pretty surprised by the arguments going on here. I don't really think it's unreasonable for physicians to be held to a standard with regards to health. I think an obese physician loses his/her credibility with patients. Whether or not that's fair is irrelevant; it's absolutely true that a patient will be more willing to follow the advice and guidance from a person who actually has their **** together health-wise. Having patients adhere to a physician's advice is one of the most important aspects of being a doctor, and if you're fat and wreak of cigarette smoke, then yes, you actually are being less effective as a physician.

I wouldn't take relationship advice from Snookie, so why would I take health advice from someone who doesn't even have a vested interested in their own health?

Finally, someone who sees my side of the argument. Thank you.

You are absolutely right. A doctor who has his s*** together is far more credible than one that talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Very well stated.

It will definitely be legalized in our lifetime.

But there's no doubt, in my mind at least, that health care costs will rise as a result. Any abusable substance becoming legal be a detriment to public health (and cannabis is abusable according the psychiatrists at my institution, btw.)

Everything is abusable.

See food

If I were obese I wouldn't want to listen to anything some granola munchin bike short wearing "pinnacle of health" doctor. I'll listen to the fat guy who has an idea of what I'm going through. :rolleyes:

This is nonsense. If I was obese, I'm not going to go to another obese guy for help losing weight. I'm going to go to someone who has been successful in losing weight and keeping it off. How do you know a doctor with a 6 pack always had a six pack from birth? How do you know he wasn't overweight himself at some point and successfully lost and kept the weight off? Isn't that the kind of person you want to go to if you want to accomplish a similar feat?

Who goes to a loser for advice on winning? I'll take the fit doctor who not only is qualified to counsel me about weight loss but also has personal experience getting into shape and staying that way. Given that no one comes out of the womb fit and with a six pack, it's very likely he had to struggle to reach his current state of fitness, so he not only knows what I'm going through, he also knows how to succeed. He's the guy I'm going to be looking up to and trying to emulate in this quest for weight loss, not a fatso who is munching cheeseburgers while telling me I need to lose weight.

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? It's so over-the-top and unbelievable that I would expect health professionals to have their act together when it comes to their own health? That I would expect people to practice what they preach? Why don't you ask the general public what they think about that. I don't think that's so crazy. From my experience that's what the majority of the population expects.

I have strong opinions and the people I deal with in real life actually appreciate that and like me for exactly that reason. They like someone with conviction a lot more than a wishy-washy kiss ass who just tells people what they want to hear and is afraid to offend anybody. I've been told that numerous times.

Oh, boy pete. Oh, boy.

All I see is someone who is pushing his own prejudices about those who apparently aren't what you are (in this case, smokers and obese)

Let me ask you this. Do you drink, EVER? I'm sure you've been taught to counsel your patients on cutting down alcohol use. Aren't you a hypocrite if you drink, even socially?

Do you watch TV more than a few hours a day? Are you just the pinnacle of human society and don't do anything unhealthy ever in your entire life? If not, then you're clearly a hypocrite who shouldn't be allowed to tell patients they should spend more time exercising, eating healthier, etc. etc.

It's a very strong opinion you hold, and one that if you make it well known in real life, will not earn you many friends well wishers amongst your colleagues. Or your patients.

Reading the OP on http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=952857 made me realize you seriously dislike and are creeped out by those who are unhealthy in anyway. Tough position if you want to have patients as any kind of a doctor...

I used to drink socially in the past, but since I got to med school, I haven't had a single drink. I have never smoked in my life, and I work really hard to exercise and eat healthy. I don't do drugs. I try everything I can to be as healthy as I can possibly be. I take what I learn in school very seriously. It's not just stuff I memorize to put down on a test so I can get an MD and make 200k. I actually believe in the messages I am taught to give patients and take them very very seriously myself. So, no I'm not a hypocrite at all if I were to tell patients to do the same. You, on the other hand, are trying as hard as you can to justify your unhealthy behavior, which does make you a hypocrite when you turn around and tell patients the opposite.

I take my health very seriously now, and for your info I have a lot of friends. I don't care if you can't be perfectly healthy, no one can, but the fact that you and others are trying so hard to justify doctors leading an unhealthy lifestyle is frightening. That's not what you should be doing as a person whose career is about promoting healthy behaviors and improving the health of the public. A doctor is the LAST person in society who should be justifying anyone's unhealthy behavior, much less another doctor's.

I don't have any prejudices against anybody. Obesity and smoking are two things our profession tells us are bad. If you think that makes me prejudiced against smokers or fat people, you're crazy, and in that case all of medicine is "prejudiced" against obesity and smoking and any other unhealthy thing people may be doing. All I'm saying is, practice what you preach. Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk. And every other such saying. And if you can't do it, then you don't have any business telling other people to.

Last edited:
Final point on the matter so the thread can go back to the original topic:

If I walk into my doctor's office and the guy is obese and reeks of smoke and has a double bacon cheeseburger on his desk, I'm going to leave and find someone else. I don't care what his qualifications are, that's not the kind of guy I want to be advising me on being healthy. I'm certain that the majority of people in our society would feel the same way. I want someone who takes the messages he gives out seriously and has his act together when it comes to his own health. I don't just want someone to tell me what I can read off of WebMD. I want someone who actually is living a healthy lifestyle and can not only give me information he learned from medical school but also tips and motivation from personal experience.

/end argument

This is nonsense. If I was obese, I'm not going to go to another obese guy for help losing weight. I'm going to go to someone who has been successful in losing weight and keeping it off. How do you know a doctor with a 6 pack always had a six pack from birth? How do you know he wasn't overweight himself at some point and successfully lost and kept the weight off? Isn't that the kind of person you want to go to if you want to accomplish a similar feat?

Who goes to a loser for advice on winning? I'll take the fit doctor who not only is qualified to counsel me about weight loss but also has personal experience getting into shape and staying that way. Given that no one comes out of the womb fit and with a six pack, it's very likely he had to struggle to reach his current state of fitness, so he not only knows what I'm going through, he also knows how to succeed. He's the guy I'm going to be looking up to and trying to emulate in this quest for weight loss, not a fatso who is munching cheeseburgers while telling me I need to lose weight.

and since you ARE obese you obviously are the authority on what obese people would be most comfortable doing :rolleyes:

Do you note see the complete lunacy in your logic? There are just sooooooo many problems with your statements. First of all, most people know how to lose weight. The issue is motivation and self control. Doctors usually give people the news, but aren't usually giving "help" with that. That is what gyms and trainers and dietitians do :thumbup: Aside from the ortho residents I have never seen a doc with his balls uncomfortably close to someone's face on the bench press shouting "push it! push it!" :rolleyes:

The other part I put in bold sounds just like Ben Stillers character in Heavy Weights or Dodgeball (take your pick). Either way, you are already demonstrating a complete and utter lack of ability to identify with and help anyone that may struggle with this. Zero concept of these people's point of view. What are ya gunna do, champ, walk into the room and flex at them and inspire them to be like you?

To the part that I underlined: this touches on another ridiculous part of your position. How do we know? :laugh: who cares? You mentioned smoking with this as well. How does the patient know if their doctor smokes to begin with? Based on the logic you use in this post here you now cannot have any beef whatsoever with a smoking doctor giving advice on smoking. You also mentioned in a previous post that it would be somehow better if the doctor SAID he was "working on it". That's ridiculous. Why not just say it and then go eat a bucket of butter for funsies? per your logic it impacts the patient the same way and that is allegedly your motivation here.

Since you are so outspoken about your level of fitness, lets just run (or... you know... wal-mart scooter) with the assumption that all the things you say you would do are not things that these people would do. Obviously they do not make all the same choices you do, and you very likely have no idea what it is like to be overweight and have some skinny d-bag come at you with "you need to get in shape brah! be like me: genetically different!" :rolleyes:
Seriously.... you are so out of touch with this one it is staggering. Honestly, I do think doctors should be in shape as well. But I am not deluding myself into thinking it is anything other than an opinion on the matter or attempting to stretch it inappropriately with crayon scribbled logic to say it necessarily negatively impacts patient care. The truth is that NOBODY wants to be told to lose weight and most people who are obese understand it. Also the vast majority of people who are in shape have always been so. So they are often the worst people to talk to about losing weight. They very likely do make better choices than the obese, but even ignoring genetic factors it isnt like these people really know much about losing.

TL;DR
Peter, buddy... your posts are doing only 1 thing: demonstrating that you have no idea where non-compliance comes from.

People already do drugs even though they are illegal! These toxic meth houses wouldn't exist if it were legal, a licensed and regulated corporation would be making the compound. Just as in alcohol prohibition people mixed wood alcohol into their ethanol as a cheap substitute, but it could make you sick, blind or worse. How many people here distill their own ethanol? Nobody? That's because you can get a quality product at a fair price. We don't have shootouts with police or other people anymore since it is legal.

Legalization removes the stigma and leads to less use and abuse, more people willing to ask for substance abuse help, and doesn't feed the prison industrial complex which Is ruining the lives of inner city males, especially blacks and Hispanics who are still getting scapegoated for the cause of drug problems/violence. Anti-legalization means you are for forcing people into cages for simply pursuing their own happiness, whether you agree with it or not. Basically these people are using the wrong drug so they should be punished? We have already established alcohol/cigarettes are the most devastating drug to public health but we offer rehab to drunks instead of locking them up.

People already do drugs even though they are illegal! These toxic meth houses wouldn't exist if it were legal, a licensed and regulated corporation would be making the compound. Just as in alcohol prohibition people mixed wood alcohol into their ethanol as a cheap substitute, but it could make you sick, blind or worse. How many people here distill their own ethanol? Nobody? That's because you can get a quality product at a fair price. We don't have shootouts with police or other people anymore since it is legal.

Legalization removes the stigma and leads to less use and abuse, more people willing to ask for substance abuse help, and doesn't feed the prison industrial complex which Is ruining the lives of inner city males, especially blacks and Hispanics who are still getting scapegoated for the cause of drug problems/violence. Anti-legalization means you are for forcing people into cages for simply pursuing their own happiness, whether you agree with it or not. Basically these people are using the wrong drug so they should be punished? We have already established alcohol/cigarettes are the most devastating drug to public health but we offer rehab to drunks instead of locking them up.

OK. So legalize it all and deny care to people with drug induced healthcare? Let Darwin work? I'm not paying for a meth head to get his teeth replaced... or waste resources resuscitating people who OD while "pursuing happiness".

OK. So legalize it all and deny care to people with drug induced healthcare? Let Darwin work? I'm not paying for a meth head to get his teeth replaced... or waste resources resuscitating people who OD while "pursuing happiness".

Well you better hope someone does when you are the doctor treating the patient.

and since you ARE obese you obviously are the authority on what obese people would be most comfortable doing :rolleyes:

Do you note see the complete lunacy in your logic? There are just sooooooo many problems with your statements. First of all, most people know how to lose weight. The issue is motivation and self control. Doctors usually give people the news, but aren't usually giving "help" with that. That is what gyms and trainers and dietitians do :thumbup: Aside from the ortho residents I have never seen a doc with his balls uncomfortably close to someone's face on the bench press shouting "push it! push it!" :rolleyes:

Really, do you need an MD to tell someone they need to lose weight? Get real. It's more than just news. The doctor should be actually helping the person lose weight. The doctor doesn't have to be in the gym with the patient but should be counseling the patient on the importance of weight loss, weight loss methods, etc and also be a good example for the person to follow and be motivated by. If you don't want to go the extra mile for your patients, then that's your problem, but I think it's your responsibility as a doctor to at least try.

The other part I put in bold sounds just like Ben Stillers character in Heavy Weights or Dodgeball (take your pick). Either way, you are already demonstrating a complete and utter lack of ability to identify with and help anyone that may struggle with this. Zero concept of these people's point of view. What are ya gunna do, champ, walk into the room and flex at them and inspire them to be like you?

I do understand their point of view. They want to get in shape. Don't you understand how ridiculous it is to go to a fat person to get advice on losing weight? That's just a laughable situation. Are the trainers on the Biggest Loser obese too? If they were most people would laugh off that show.

Yeah, I am going to inspire people to be more like me. That's what I want to do. I'm going to set a good example for people that they can follow. I know what it takes to get in shape. You don't understand the concept of a role model? Someone you look up to who has achieved what you want and motivates you to get there? Your role model for losing weight is an obese person? That's absurd. That's like your role model for becoming a doctor being a pre-med. Seriously man, your arguments are so ridiculous I can't stay on my chair.

Why don't you go back to taking life advice from Snooki and Honey Boo Boo.

To the part that I underlined: this touches on another ridiculous part of your position. How do we know? :laugh: who cares? You mentioned smoking with this as well. How does the patient know if their doctor smokes to begin with? Based on the logic you use in this post here you now cannot have any beef whatsoever with a smoking doctor giving advice on smoking. You also mentioned in a previous post that it would be somehow better if the doctor SAID he was "working on it". That's ridiculous. Why not just say it and then go eat a bucket of butter for funsies? per your logic it impacts the patient the same way and that is allegedly your motivation here.

A patient knows that a doctor smokes if 1) the patient smells smoke on the doctor's breath or clothing or office. Doctors get pretty up close to patients. If they've been smoking it's not too hard for someone to recognize it. 2) Doctors are people who go out in public too. Do doctors who smoke only do so in their house and never anywhere else? Unlikely. Patients can run into you anywhere. What do you mean I can't have beef with a smoking doctor giving advice on smoking. Are you insane? I just said if you're going to advise someone to quit smoking you can't smoke yourself. And so yes I can have a beef with the smoking doctor. Honestly I think if you have an MD and you can't convince yourself to quit smoking or even try to do so, there's a screw loose in your brain. I wonder what goes through anyone's mind to start smoking - everyone knows it's bad, there's commercials running every day explaining every bad thing that happens from smoking, there's people all around you with all sorts of diseases from smoking, they teach in schools about not smoking, it says SMOKING KILLS on the box, and yet these geniuses are like Yeah let me go ahead and try that! How stupid do you need to be to not register any of that and do it anyway? And you're telling me an MD who has 11-15 years of training, sees people dying from smoking every day, and tells all his/her patients to stop can't make a better choice about smoking, and that's totally OK? That's normal? You're crazy, dude.

And yeah, it is better if the doctor not only SAYS he is working on it but actually demonstrates that he is. So maybe the smoking doctor needs to pull out his Nicotine patches. Or the obese doc needs to explain his diet. Don't let your patients think you just don't care and you don't buy your own advice. That's how you completely lose your credibility. No one's going to listen to a guy who tells you what you should do but is too lazy to actually follow that advice himself. That kind of guy gets laughed at.

[/QUOTE]

Since you are so outspoken about your level of fitness, lets just run (or... you know... wal-mart scooter) with the assumption that all the things you say you would do are not things that these people would do. Obviously they do not make all the same choices you do, and you very likely have no idea what it is like to be overweight and have some skinny d-bag come at you with "you need to get in shape brah! be like me: genetically different!" :rolleyes:
Seriously.... you are so out of touch with this one it is staggering. Honestly, I do think doctors should be in shape as well. But I am not deluding myself into thinking it is anything other than an opinion on the matter or attempting to stretch it inappropriately with crayon scribbled logic to say it necessarily negatively impacts patient care. The truth is that NOBODY wants to be told to lose weight and most people who are obese understand it. Also the vast majority of people who are in shape have always been so. So they are often the worst people to talk to about losing weight. They very likely do make better choices than the obese, but even ignoring genetic factors it isnt like these people really know much about losing.

TL;DR
Peter, buddy... your posts are doing only 1 thing: demonstrating that you have no idea where non-compliance comes from.

FYI, I do know what it is like to be overweight. I used to be out of shape myself. In college, I was almost 50 pounds overweight. I have had plenty of people encourage me to get into shape, and I actually appreciated the external motivation. The most motivation I ever got wasn't from a fat dude sympathizing with my situation, it was from looking around at all the guys who were slim and fit and energetic and healthy. That's what drove me to change. In fact, the fat guys like me disgusted me. I wanted to be as unlike them as I possibly could and THAT is what made me change.

The idea that people in shape are the worst to talk about how to be in shape is ABSURD. You want to get a diet plan from a 400 pound man and think it will work better than a diet plan from a guy who's in shape. Do you even read what you write? Being in shape takes hard work and sacrifice. You're not just born with an in-shape body that always stays that way. Everyone is tempted to eat and not go to the gym. We all have those problems, not just obese people. The difference is that people who are in shape know how to get over it because they have. Many of them have been battling it their entire lives, and have been successful. Just because someone has always been in shape doens't mean they don't work hard and struggle to stay that way, and doesn't mean their methods aren't applicable to everyone. There is no "in shape gene" that just magically keeps you having a 6 pack regardless of what you do.

Anyway, all I'm demonstrating is that I have the willingness to put my money where my mouth is. When I sign up to preach health, I practice it. Simple enough. I demand the best from myself. I don't make excuses like you and others do.

Last edited:
You're contradicting yourself now peter. Shame on you :D

You're contradicting yourself now peter. Shame on you :D

Shame on you for defending doctors who are fine collecting money from their patients, but can't bother to take their own advice and set a good example for patients. That's just too much to ask isn't it.

I bet you'd also go to a church where the priest was preaching the virtues of religion and then breaking every one of them in his spare time. I bet that would really inspire you to be virtuous, wouldn't it? Yeah, I bet you're only more inspired after that sermon when you catch the guy picking up hookers and doing meth. Clearly that shows that what he's talking about really matters!!

Last edited:
Shame on you for defending doctors who are fine collecting money from their patients, but can't bother to take their own advice and set a good example for patients and a good name for doctors everywhere.

That's your problem Peter. That isn't my position at all. Nor have I defended them. I've just pointed out (again :rolleyes:) that logic isn't your strong suit. You present opinions as objective fact and you connect dots that don't exist. You also (wrongly) completely deny that some obese patients will not respond well to weight criticism from skinny people. The world you live in is very uni dimensional. Go ahead and don't go to overweight doctors. But if you were right about any single one fact other than your own subjective opinion such doctors would be struggling. They aren't :shrug:

But quick question, peter.... what's wrong with a fat doctor making money off of their advice if they don't follow it themselves? That's a personal choice. Your statement still assumes it is sound advice and you have yet to establish that the patient won't follow it. So basically you have said that a fat doctor HELPS someone but doesn't get money because he's fat. :rolleyes:

I've already determined you're so out of touch there is no hope for common ground here. Its mostly just fun to see how far up the "rabbit" hole your head currently is :D

That's your problem Peter. That isn't my position at all. Nor have I defended them. I've just pointed out (again :rolleyes:) that logic isn't your strong suit. You present opinions as objective fact and you connect dots that don't exist. You also (wrongly) completely deny that some obese patients will not respond well to weight criticism from skinny people. The world you live in is very uni dimensional. Go ahead and don't go to overweight doctors. But if you were right about any single one fact other than your own subjective opinion such doctors would be struggling. They aren't :shrug:

I just stated an opinion. I never said it was fact. It's an opinion. But my opinion is a pretty commonly held one among people in society. Practicing what you preach is something most people agree with. The only people who seem to disagree here are doctors / med students who don't want to put in the effort to change their ways and/or admit what they're doing is not right.

But hey, if you don't want to get healthy, you're going to hurt yourself in the end, so why do I care.

But quick question, peter.... what's wrong with a fat doctor making money off of their advice if they don't follow it themselves? That's a personal choice. Your statement still assumes it is sound advice and you have yet to establish that the patient won't follow it. So basically you have said that a fat doctor HELPS someone but doesn't get money because he's fat. :rolleyes:

I've already determined you're so out of touch there is no hope for common ground here. Its mostly just fun to see how far up the "rabbit" hole your head currently is :D

Yeah, I think it's morally wrong. I don't want to take money from someone unless I've done the best job I can for them. That's just me. Even if it helps, I'll know I didn't do my best. That's wrong in my eyes. If I'm going to make my living off of advising people to get healthy, I need to follow my own advice and set a good example. If I'm not doing that, I'm not doing my job to the fullest I can. I don't care what my actual job description says, I know I can do more. It's not right to make money off of being a hypocrite. I can't charge my fat patients for weight advice and then go and keep eating double bacon cheeseburgers every day. It'll make me feel extremely shady and grimy. Even worse if they catch me after I just gave them a talk about not doing exactly that and how bad it is. I'll feel disgusting. Giving out advice I don't believe in or follow, and charging for it, is wrong.

I'm sorry you don't have that sense of moral obligation to people you supposedly care about. I'm sorry that you can't feel that saying one thing and doing another is just plain wrong. I can't give you morals, you have to develop them yourself.

Last edited:
Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal

I have yet to see any arguments as to why the same public health outcomes wouldn't occur in the USA or anywhere else.

Also, why should the government be able to tell me what I can and cannot do to myself so long as I am not harming others?

Because you're never really not affecting others by your actions. You don't live in a bubble completely separated from society. Your actions do affect others even if you think they don't. We are all deeply interconnected in society.

I just stated an opinion. I never said it was fact. It's an opinion. But my opinion is a pretty commonly held one among people in society. Practicing what you preach is something most people agree with. The only people who seem to disagree here are doctors / med students who don't want to put in the effort to change their ways and/or admit what they're doing is not right.

But hey, if you don't want to get healthy, you're going to hurt yourself in the end, so why do I care.

double-facepalm1.jpg

Where did I say anything indicating that I am not or do not want to get healthy? This has been your problem in every thread that we have argued in. You say something with the logical value of "Pickles are bad for you because blue trucks go faster on wednesdays", and in pointing out the logical absurdity in your thought process you just assume I am on the other side of the fence.

I have said multiple times that I believe that doctors should in fact be in shape. You ignore it or maybe subconsciously suppress it because it undermines your entire argument and then proceed to address my posts as if I had said the opposite. Seriously.... are you drunk? or have a history of stroke in your family? How do you rationalize a statement like that last one, especially when everything I have said has focused on the logical progressions you make in your arguments? :confused:

aaaaaand finally: you did in fact state several times that an overweight doctor is less able to perform his or her job proficiently. This is a statement of fact, not an opinion. It is also an incorrect fact. There is no logical or otherwise rational progression that connects BMI with competence. You then proceeded to exclude any possibility where a fat patient would be put off by a thin doctor telling them to lose weight. That is also false. that happens quite often. Honestly the only time where a thin or in shape doc has an edge here is in a weight loss clinic where people seek them out for weight loss. The vast majority of patients who are told to lose weight are not in for weight control. They have HTN, diabetes, heart failure, or anything else that is causing symptoms associated with weight. While most of them would like to lose weight, and most have tried, most are not in the clinic specifically for that and being told by ANY doctor that their problems will go away if they lose weight is going to open the door for frustration and non compliance. Your disgust in this topic will not net you compliant patients and it is somewhere between comical and horrifying that you think it will.

Your position works only within such a narrow set of conditions that it is appropriate to just dismiss it entirely. I will enumerate them for you since you keep going back to points that were covered and then concluding by telling me to "stay fat" :rolleyes:
1) 99.9% of patients that are told to lose weight are not in the clinic with a chief complaint of obesity
2)many many people will find it off-putting to be told to lose weight regardless of the physique of the doctor, and many will find it condescending or irrelevant when a skinny doctor automatically attributes a patients problems to weight (even if that is accurate)
3) I do think doctors should be in shape, I just think your finding of moral outrage at practicing obese doctors is childish and naive.

In conclusion:

Bro, I bet you don't even lift :rolleyes:

aaaaaand finally: you did in fact state several times that an overweight doctor is less able to perform his or her job proficiently. This is a statement of fact, not an opinion.

First off ignoring most of your post because it makes no sense, as usual. And no, this is incorrect. That is an opinion. I THINK the overweight doctor is less effective. That is my opinion. Never said it was fact, never presented any evidence or data, just gave my opinion based on my own personal experience. I think it's true. But that's my opinion.

FYI, I do lift... and not the fork.

3) I do think doctors should be in shape, I just think your finding of moral outrage at practicing obese doctors is childish and naive.

My moral objections are perfectly justified and not childish or naive in the least. Those words are meaningless in this context. I'm a child because I expect people to not be hypocritical? I'm naive because I expect people to practice what they preach? I guess I'm naive because I expect people to also not go around stabbing each other.

In contrast, I'm a mature adult who expects other mature adult practitioners of a supposed "higher calling" which is based on ethical and moral principles that we all study to actually have some morals in reality.

Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal Portugal

I have yet to see any arguments as to why the same public health outcomes wouldn't occur in the USA or anywhere else.

Also, why should the government be able to tell me what I can and cannot do to myself so long as I am not harming others?

I've already established that the drug policy of Portugal is not "legalization". Go look up what their "de-criminalization" actually means and the sanctions you can still get for posession (not to mention dealing and distribution are still subject to criminal penalties). It doesn't help that they don't have great records about these things before 2001...the year decriminalization kicked in.

But if others have to foot the bill for your substance abuse, then you will be harming others.

The two drugs that cost taxpayers the most in healthcare dollars are nicotine and alcohol, by a long shot. Sure people can use nicotine and alcohol in moderation and not harm others, but the reality is that they don't, and it's costs us a lot of $$$.

What makes you think another mind-altering substance would be any different? Irresponsible people will continue to be irresponsible, will use cannabis irresponsibly, and will rely on the taxpayers to fund the medical & psycho-social problems that result.

But if others have to foot the bill for your substance abuse, then you will be harming others.

The two drugs that cost taxpayers the most in healthcare dollars are nicotine and alcohol, by a long shot. Sure people can use nicotine and alcohol in moderation and not harm others, but the reality is that they don't, and it's costs us a lot of $$$.

What makes you think another mind-altering substance would be any different? Irresponsible people will continue to be irresponsible, will use cannabis irresponsibly, and will rely on the taxpayers to fund the medical & psycho-social problems that result.

Bingo.

If you can get wasted on booze, why not pot? The social and financial costs of prohibition are way too high. I don't want to use it, but I don't care much if other people do.

If you can get wasted on booze, why not pot? The social and financial costs of prohibition are way too high. I don't want to use it, but I don't care much if other people do.

Why do we need to add more. We already have booze. If this is your argument, why not just legalize every drug?

Yeah, I think it's morally wrong. I don't want to take money from someone unless I've done the best job I can for them.
1) This is naive.
2) you still have not demonstrated by any means other than holding your breath and stamping your feet that this hypothetical fat doctor has not done the "best he can for them". Even in that language alone, he would have done the best HE can. But even without that minor technicality you have yet to establish that obesity is correlated to a lower standard of care. You just assume it to be true even if a patient could be more comfortable in that situation vs some super intense health nut like yourself.

This is just another example of that whole logic thing you struggle with :shrug:

That's just me. Even if it helps, I'll know I didn't do my best. That's wrong in my eyes. If I'm going to make my living off of advising people to get healthy, I need to follow my own advice and set a good example. If I'm not doing that, I'm not doing my job to the fullest I can. I don't care what my actual job description says, I know I can do more. It's not right to make money off of being a hypocrite.
So.... you're cool with obese radiologists then, right? Just making sure that this IS some sort of logical progression leading to a conclusion and not a personal preference with half-baked rationales spun from it, then extended and, if you got your way, forced upon others who may not feel the same.

Just checking :shrug:

I can't charge my fat patients for weight advice and then go and keep eating double bacon cheeseburgers every day. It'll make me feel extremely shady and grimy. Even worse if they catch me after I just gave them a talk about not doing exactly that and how bad it is. I'll feel disgusting. Giving out advice I don't believe in or follow, and charging for it, is wrong.
It isnt wrong. You tell them to do that because they asked you what would fix x, y, and z. that is the correct answer. It remains the correct answer no matter what you shove into your mouth after those words come out of it. :smack: Your moral outrage at all of this is just.... I dunno. Some special mix of shallow, naive, and conceited. Any advice you give someone is tailored to them and the autonomous patient gets to take that advice or leave it. If your obese patient has edema due to HTN and wants to get rid of it, the correct answer is to lose weight (and whatever else you want to prescribe, but this is about weight). It is still the correct answer even if the doctor spits bacon flecks while saying it :idea: You are treating the patients like infants here. If the patient wants the symptom to resolve the patient will follow the advice. If the patient follows the advice the patient received a benefit. the doctor should get paid for that benefit he provided so he can buy more bacon :shrug:

I'm sorry you don't have that sense of moral obligation to people you supposedly care about. I'm sorry that you can't feel that saying one thing and doing another is just plain wrong. I can't give you morals, you have to develop them yourself.

:laugh: This isn't saying one thing and doing another. This is saying one thing to someone for whom that one thing applies, and then not doing that yourself.
The ONLY thing you have said that approaches accuracy is that some patients (and IMO only those who come in seeking help with weight) may not take a fat doctor seriously about such issues. They can find another doctor :shrug: because a good many people know weight control is common sense and aren't dumb enough to think "oh well that doctor is fat, I bet he is lying to me and weight actually makes you healthier!" Seriously that the way you portray these patients. It's sad. But otherwise, the "saying one thing and doing another" argument only applies to issues of morality. i.e. conveying a moral truth to someone and then not following it.

It isnt morally wrong for a mechanic to recommend yearly services but neglect his own car. It may be dumb, but morally wrong? please.... same thing applies to the doctor in this case. If he is fat he only hurts himself, not his patient. Any patient who doesnt trust him will find a new doctor so that is a moot point. It's *****ic for that doctor to be obese because he understands all of the health issues with it, but morally wrong it is not. that is just a completely ridiculous statement. It is yet another example of you lacking the logic required for these discussions and stretching an unrelated statement (in this latest case "saying one thing and doing another") into a completely unrelated topic. That demonstrates a very poor understanding of all of this. Its akin to a child gasping at a naughty word. Why? because its naughty! :eek: :rolleyes: "but but but, saying one thing and doing another is bad! mommy said so!" Seriously.... Even if we accept that absurdity for the sake of argument, you still can't link that by any reasonable means to patient harm or lower standard of care so the next layer of your concocted reality still falls apart. :thumbdown:

My moral objections are perfectly justified and not childish or naive in the least. Those words are meaningless in this context. I'm a child because I expect people to not be hypocritical? I'm naive because I expect people to practice what they preach? I guess I'm naive because I expect people to also not go around stabbing each other.

In contrast, I'm a mature adult who expects other mature adult practitioners of a supposed "higher calling" which is based on ethical and moral principles that we all study to actually have some morals in reality.

you're naive and childish because you think practicing what you preach translates to patient care.

Why do we need to add more. We already have booze. If this is your argument, why not just legalize every drug?

because many other drugs come with significant cost to others besides the user. Addiction is a legitimate problem. Legally available recreational heroine would be a major problem. The issue with the harder drugs IS the impact on public wellbeing, and not the cost of prohibiting them. Weed is an exception. And before you turn your 4 brain cells against that statement and pop one of them: I don't smoke weed. I have done it a couple of time, and honestly don't care for it. I wouldnt do it if it were made legal. But I have a hard time identifying downsides to legalizing it. We strip the power of drug dealers and producers who are often very violent, we stop wasting so much money chasing teenagers with dime bags, the country would make bank by taxing it, and there are no serious health effects especially when compared to tobacco and alcohol.

Now, heroin: oodles of health problems both acute and chronic. AIDS, OD, septicemia, heart failure. It is highly addictive and routinely brings people off the deep end after taking it and getting hooked. Addicts don't really have a hard time scoring. The cost of heroin has plummeted while the availability and potency has skyrocketed. They arent becoming homeless and ruining the lives of themselves and their families because the drug is illegal. Legalizing it would not improve these things.

I honestly can't believe that you fail to see the difference here.... its more of that "moral high road" right? :rolleyes:

double-facepalm1.jpg

Where did I say anything indicating that I am not or do not want to get healthy? This has been your problem in every thread that we have argued in. You say something with the logical value of "Pickles are bad for you because blue trucks go faster on wednesdays", and in pointing out the logical absurdity in your thought process you just assume I am on the other side of the fence.

I have said multiple times that I believe that doctors should in fact be in shape. You ignore it or maybe subconsciously suppress it because it undermines your entire argument and then proceed to address my posts as if I had said the opposite. Seriously.... are you drunk? or have a history of stroke in your family? How do you rationalize a statement like that last one, especially when everything I have said has focused on the logical progressions you make in your arguments? :confused:

aaaaaand finally: you did in fact state several times that an overweight doctor is less able to perform his or her job proficiently. This is a statement of fact, not an opinion. It is also an incorrect fact. There is no logical or otherwise rational progression that connects BMI with competence. You then proceeded to exclude any possibility where a fat patient would be put off by a thin doctor telling them to lose weight. That is also false. that happens quite often. Honestly the only time where a thin or in shape doc has an edge here is in a weight loss clinic where people seek them out for weight loss. The vast majority of patients who are told to lose weight are not in for weight control. They have HTN, diabetes, heart failure, or anything else that is causing symptoms associated with weight. While most of them would like to lose weight, and most have tried, most are not in the clinic specifically for that and being told by ANY doctor that their problems will go away if they lose weight is going to open the door for frustration and non compliance. Your disgust in this topic will not net you compliant patients and it is somewhere between comical and horrifying that you think it will.

Your position works only within such a narrow set of conditions that it is appropriate to just dismiss it entirely. I will enumerate them for you since you keep going back to points that were covered and then concluding by telling me to "stay fat" :rolleyes:
1) 99.9% of patients that are told to lose weight are not in the clinic with a chief complaint of obesity
2)many many people will find it off-putting to be told to lose weight regardless of the physique of the doctor, and many will find it condescending or irrelevant when a skinny doctor automatically attributes a patients problems to weight (even if that is accurate)

In conclusion:

Bro, I bet you don't even lift :rolleyes:

I really think the truth is somewhere in between. I don't think you can in good conscience say that an overweight doctor loses credibility in general. On the other hand, no one can quantify the degree to which patients are dismissive of a physician as a result of their weight problem (or smoking problem, etc.). This thread has become a battle of absolutism and I think both sides contain a degree of truth to their logic.

you're naive and childish because you think practicing what you preach translates to patient care.

That isn't an outrageous idea. In fact, there are many that believe it. Even this morning, I had a MD tell our class exactly that.

You may disagree, but you don't need to insult other people for holding ideas different than your own. You seem to think you are "logically" dissecting pete's argument, but you really are using as much opinion as he is.

There may be an argument for that too. But I think in the specific case of marijuana, the social costs of use are relatively low compared to the social costs of prohibition and enforcement, especially relative to the social costs of use that we tolerate with regard to other legal drugs. That might or might not be true for other currently illegal drugs, I don't know. The costs and havoc created by uncontrolled use of I don't know, meth might be substantially higher.

That isn't an outrageous idea. In fact, there are many that believe it. Even this morning, I had a MD tell our class exactly that.

You may disagree, but you don't need to insult other people for holding ideas different than your own. You seem to think you are "logically" dissecting pete's argument, but you really are using as much opinion as he is.

nah :thumbup:

It isn't opinion to point out when an opinion is being presented as fact. Sure, many people believe in it. That doesnt make it so. Not being so doesnt make it wrong to believe it. My problem with peter's arguments is that he is extending that logical fallacy outward and criticizing an entire group of people for something that isnt warranted. The point is, I admitted at the get go that everything I said was opinion. His statements are very exclusive in nature so showing even a single dissenting view invalidates them. My opinion is not "fat doctors are better", as his opinion IS "fat doctors are worse". I am just saying his rationale doesn't support itself beyond personal opinion. After that his subsequent and repeated chest poundings just become hyperbolic nonsense.

And you must have just skimmed if you think that I am being hard on peter here completely unprovoked. It started peacefully but he likes to dismiss counter arguments all together by making personal jabs.

I really think the truth is somewhere in between. I don't think you can in good conscience say that an overweight doctor loses credibility in general. On the other hand, no one can quantify the degree to which patients are dismissive of a physician as a result of their weight problem (or smoking problem, etc.). This thread has become a battle of absolutism and I think both sides contain a degree of truth to their logic.

I'm pretty sure that is what I said. In every case where it was opinion I said so (i.e. "IMO this only applies to those seeking weight loss). But I said at every turn that some patients may in fact be turned off by a fat doctor. I added that they can also be turned off by a fit doctor. Peter's points exclude this entirely as a possibility.

In a nutshell, the reason I am debating him on this is because his point is "My opinion is X and therefore it is what others think as well" where the reality is that patient opinions on this are as varied as patients are themselves. To unilaterally discredit doctors simply because of physique IS outragous. It would be like making the general statement that all DOs are dumber than MDs (just to make a close to home example). The reality of the situation is that many (but not all) DOs had more significant academic struggles than many (but not all) MDs. The generalization is false and the irony is that the only real morally questionable action occurring here is in drawing further conclusions from a flawed initial statement.

Just to reiterate - I agree this is a battle of absolutism. The kicker is that nothing I am saying is absolute in nature (except that :oops:). This is the umpteenth thread this guy has done this in but if you look back every response to him that I have made has been non-absolute and in the interest of pulling things back to the middle, NOT the opposite extreme. The problem is that he keeps making counterpoints as if I am arguing for the opposite extreme and then calls me fat to boot :rolleyes: Then there really isn't much else to do but question the cognitive ability that produced such responses :shrug:

There may be an argument for that too. But I think in the specific case of marijuana, the social costs of use are relatively low compared to the social costs of prohibition and enforcement, especially relative to the social costs of use that we tolerate with regard to other legal drugs. That might or might not be true for other currently illegal drugs, I don't know. The costs and havoc created by uncontrolled use of I don't know, meth might be substantially higher.

Yeah thats why I was really arguing with the guy that was just going "legalize everything bro people should be able to do what they want!" many people can see (myself included) that legalizing marijuana won't really put us in any worse position than we are right now. The same can't necessarily be said for heroin, PCP, cocaine, meth, any number of prescription drugs, etc.

Yeah thats why I was really arguing with the guy that was just going "legalize everything bro people should be able to do what they want!" many people can see (myself included) that legalizing marijuana won't really put us in any worse position than we are right now. The same can't necessarily be said for heroin, PCP, cocaine, meth, any number of prescription drugs, etc.

:thumbup:

nah :thumbup:

It isn't opinion to point out when an opinion is being presented as fact. Sure, many people believe in it. That doesnt make it so. Not being so doesnt make it wrong to believe it. My problem with peter's arguments is that he is extending that logical fallacy outward and criticizing an entire group of people for something that isnt warranted. The point is, I admitted at the get go that everything I said was opinion. His statements are very exclusive in nature so showing even a single dissenting view invalidates them. My opinion is not "fat doctors are better", as his opinion IS "fat doctors are worse". I am just saying his rationale doesn't support itself beyond personal opinion. After that his subsequent and repeated chest poundings just become hyperbolic nonsense.

And you must have just skimmed if you think that I am being hard on peter here completely unprovoked. It started peacefully but he likes to dismiss counter arguments all together by making personal jabs.

I never read pete's opinion as fact. I think there is a ring of truth to it, even though he did come off judgmental. That doesn't mean that his opinions aren't logical. I think you could have actually had a real debate if you countered his opinion clearly and concisely without burying your arguments in walls of text questioning his mental status and emoticons. Maybe he attacked you "unprovoked," but you certainly added fuel to the fire.

This was the first post today from either you or pete. Not exactly attacking you unprovoked. The rest of his posts before this were from yesterday.

He's gunna be the six pack doctor screaming at his fat patients. All the while thinking THAT is a better approach to connect with the patient than another fat guy saying "dude you need to get your weight under control and I know its tough". The bulk of his posts on the matter stank of the same disconnect as Romney trying to empathize with the poor (I'm republican btw, just realistic enough to see it how it is). I just think its funny that he claims to know the thought process of fat people. If I were obese I wouldn't want to listen to anything some granola munchin bike short wearing "pinnacle of health" doctor. I'll listen to the fat guy who has an idea of what I'm going through. :rolleyes:

We already pay for the healthcare of addicts! Legalizing reduces the number who use the product as we can see from alcohol prohibition data before, during, and after (also a decrease in crime after is repeal). Decriminalization is a step in the right direction. You must hate addicts because you refute all data and provide an emotional argument rather than logical