Should I take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavFab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I saw some old threads that were similar, but was wondering if things have changed with the increasing competitiveness. I am a 3rd year DO student wondering if I should take step 2? I scored at 650+ on level 1, 245+ on step 1, and have a little bit of research. I plan on doing around 3 audition rotations next year. I am 100% set on PM&R, but don't want to limit myself on residencies. Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Those are excellent scores for any residency program, and especially PM&R. I don't think you would be limiting yourself by not taking Step 2. However, since you will be taking Level 2 anyways and the content overlaps a lot, IMO you might as well take Step 2 just to have continuity -- at least that's what I would do (and did) lol. Best of luck!

PGY4 here about to finish. I was about 510ish on level 1, 242 on step 1, 550ish on level 2 and I matched to my top choice. I rotated here as an MS4 and worked my ass off, often staying later than any other student. Anything mundane (i.e. scut work), I volunteered for and generally tried whatever I could do to make the resident's life easier (filtering out all of the unnecessary OSH notes from a stack of 100+ pages) . This definitely helped secure my spot as the senior residents have some pull (although not as much now) on who gets accepted to the program. My residency is an MD spot with many DOs (sometimes more DOs than MDs in that years class) and generally considered very DO friendly.

I never felt the pressure to take step 2 nor had the desire to pay/sit for YET ANOTHER board exam. However, I'm not sure what the competition is looking like now 4 years later. If you are looking at top tier programs, then it might be worth your effort. However, if you score poorly, it will do more to hurt you. You are sitting nicely right now with those scores and unless you totally bomb the interviews, you will have a nice pick of places that want you.

So the answer is maybe. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar scores and goals. From all my research into this what I am hearing is yes, it will benefit you to take Step 2.

I had a >250 step1, did well on COMLEX 1, rolled the dice and took Step 2 as well, and fortunately scored similarly. I had multiple PDs (more for prelim programs than PM&R) that thanked me for taking both, so they can "compare apples to apples", and they are more familiar with USMLE scoring than COMLEX. I think many MDs in academia are very unaware of what those scores mean. May help in less-DO friendly or aware programs, which is not most PM&R programs. However I think it was worth the risk/cost.

Went to a top program, know a ton of DOs that went to top programs without taking USMLE at all. Doubt it matters at all, except for the 3 or so programs that require it. I highly suspect the DOs that took the USMLE and matched would have had the same result without the USMLE >90% of the time.

You seem to be a good test taker, so I doubt you’re at significant risk of doing poorly on Step 2, but in generally I don’t recommend that DOs take the USMLE because most DOs do better on COMLEX and I also think that studying for two tests instead of one could drop your COMLEX. Now there are some transitional years that do require either Step 1 or both USMLE. I’d say that is the bigger consideration or if you’re on the fence about PM&R. I’d highly recommend taking USMLE for any other specialty. But PM&R has an incredible track record of matching DOs...COMLEX is fine.

Hello,

I am in a similar spot (242 step 1, 657 COMLEX). Is there anywhere (program websites/speaking with programs directly) where we can get more stats/info on this? Obviously you hope you are a good test taker and can do well on both again, but is the risk of doing poorly on Step II worth just taking the exam just to take it?

The advice I got, as a DO who took both Step 1 / 2 and Comlex Level I / II, when I reached out to several programs was that if I had already taken Step 1, generally they liked to see Step 2 as well. Like mentioned above, it was easier to compare "apples to apples."