Should I take step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandwagon1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's at a need, but the advantage you gain by taking it is getting better every year.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to PM&R and I know that it's a very DO friendly specialty and that the COMLEX is widely accepted but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to still take the step 2 CK even if I did well for both exams (COMLEX 670+ , USMLE step 1 245+). Since the merger, everyone has been talking about the need to take both step 1 and step 2 now which prompted me to ask this. Thanks!

You may find more accurate answers if I move this thread to the PM&R area of the forum if you'd like for me to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, I'd consider taking it a risk if you don't manage to get 255 or higher on it. You've already demonstrated you can do well on the USMLE. A lot of MD applicants with a high Step 1 even delay taking Step 2 until after apps are in in case they do worse.

I agree that the PM&R forum will give you more specialty specific advice. You could also actually contact programs you're interested in directly, but unless they say it's essential or would make a big difference, I'd really question whether it will be truly advantageous.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't. I'd just focus on killing the COMLEX. There are only a few programs that require USMLE. You've already shown you can hold your own on step 1.

Nope. I wouldn't do it. You've already demonstrated how well you can do. If a program made a big deal about you not taking USMLE step 2, then that is a program that I wouldn't want to consider if I was you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

With those COMLEX scores, I wouldn't waste the money on USMLE step 2 -->most programs that are DO friendly are going to be happy to see those scores and like the previous post - maybe you should avoid those that aren't