When to take step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isykitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What month is the best month to take Step II if I am desiring to go into PM&R?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you did on Step 1. If you rocked Step 1 then you will likely be granted a decent number of interviews without a Step 2 score, so you could put it off a bit. But competitive programs may appreciate a score before it comes time to rank you (interviews usually wrap up end of January, with rank list certification deadline end of February). They also want to make sure you didn’t fail, which is unlikely if you did well on Step 1 but not unheard of. Some schools require passing Step 2 for graduation. If you don’t graduate, you don’t go on to residency that year.

If you didn’t do so hot on Step 1, you may want to show how you rebound from adversity and take Step 2 earlier - before interviews are granted. The bulk of interviews are usually offered mid-September – mid-October, with another spike soon after November 1 coinciding with the release of the MSPE. Take into account the amount of time it takes to get your scores back (about 4 weeks), and obviously take into account how prepared you’ll be to actually sit down and take the test.

Relatively speaking though – in PM&R scores aren’t as important as other factors (rehab experience, letters of recs, etc.). I’ve interviewed plenty of candidates with less-than-mediocre Step 1 scores and no Step 2 scores, but other aspects of the application were strong. So it probably doesn’t really matter. If it were me, I’d just as soon get them over with as soon as possible. One less thing to worry about.

I'm a 4th-year student about to rank programs. I did better-than-average on step 1, but decided to take Step 2 early for a few reasons.

1. It's nice to just get it done with!
  2. You just did your 3rd-year rotations, so everything is fresh in your mind.
  3. It's a great way to prepare for your upcoming sub-interships
  4. Chances are you'll do better on your step 2 than your step 1, so it looks really good. I've never heard of a single person who did worse on their step 2 if they took it early.
  5. I did well on my shelf exams throughout 3rd year, and Step 2 CK is like a compilation of shelf exams

My two cents. I definitely do not regret taking it early. One interviewer even asked me if I felt like I was "gambling" for taking my step 2 with a decent step 1 score, and I told him, honestly, that if I got a poor step 2 score, I probably didn't deserve to have a good step 1!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for your input. I agree with all the pros you've stated. I am taking step II in 2.5 weeks! I cannot wait to be done with it :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree with all the pros you've stated. I am taking step II in 2.5 weeks! I cannot wait to be done with it :)

I just took it yesterday and it feels great to be done! Good luck! :luck: