This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gns1h

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey first timer here.
Currently a junior (second semester) was planning to take the mcat in may and apply(DO) after I get my scores back.
Current GPA: 3.07 cum 2.75 sGPA
Experience: shadowed MD for 2 years Shadowing 2 DO's in a couple of med clubs
Research at a hospital for a semester
Now, I'm not sure if I should pursue this path anymore realistically. I love this career, however I am conflicted due to the time I might have to sacrifice. First 2 years were terrible due to my own fault and family issues (death, jobs, etc) but i'm not sure if I should even try taking the MCAT because of my GPA. The issue is that I don't know if it's a good idea to apply or spend time on the MCAT where I could be studying for the PCAT and working as a pharm tech. I also don't know if its worth doing special masters program because of the price and that risk factor still. I'm also trying to get married and was thinking realistically if Med would be the right choice because I might have to take 1-2 years off because of my low gpa. I do have an upward trend. I have too many credits to raise it up and I believe I could raise it up to a 3.2-3.3 by the time I graduate which I know is still not good enough. I was planning to take a bunch of summer classes as well
Should I take the chance with Postbac/SMP
Should I do Caribbeans (Absolute last choice. I know its a death sentence but is it worth it?)
Should I take the MCAT even with my low gpa?Should I take it later?(I have 86 days approx)
Should I just switch to pharmacy and work on that?
Any other career choices I could look into?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is a personal decision that can only be made by you. You have to look internally to figure out what you want. Everyone makes decisions based on what's a priority to them.

Your GPAs are too low for MD or DO. Do not go to the Caribbean. You are just the type of student they prey on. They will accept you and take your money and fail you out and leave you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. You haven’t proven to anyone (even yourself)that you are capable of succeeding in med school. You don’t seem really committed to medicine but only you can answer your question. For sure you are a long way from applying so think about it, get some more experience and make your own decisions. I’m not sure how you think applying with a 2.75 sGPA is a smart move.