WAMC, low GPA, ok MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calicodobie

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.38 and sGPA:3.34
  2. 516 (currently studying again and will retake in Jan/2024, aiming for a 520+)
  3. NY resident
  4. Chinese female, first gen immigrant (moved to the US when I was 13)
  5. undergrad: NYU
  6. Clinical experience: 1800 hours, paid medical scribe at a neurology clinic
  7. Research experience: 400 hours, unpaid undergrad research assistant. Currently have a full-time paid clinical research job that I will hold for two years (until matriculation in 2025 hopefully haha), which will give me about an additional ~3800 hours and 3+ pubs (co-author)
  8. Shadowing: None. Should I get some?
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours, English tutor for conflict-affected individuals in the Middle East, ongoing
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 1600 hours, paid resident assistant (Leadership). 320 hours, paid freshman advising (Leadership/teaching)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: NA
Here's my school list, it's very tentative (mostly schools in NY and OOS-friendly schools, didn't do much research besides that). My dream/reach schools are Case Western College program and UMich, so would love to hear WAMC with those two in particular, other than that very open to adding/deleting schools from this list! Thank you so much!!
(Will also apply DO!)

Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
CUNY School of medicine
Hofstra
Icahn
Jacobs school at University of Buffalo
NY Medical College
NYU
NY Ulong island
SUNY Downstate
University of ROchester
COrnell
Cooper medical school of rowan university
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Drexel
Geisinger
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
U of Pittsburgh
BU
U of Massachusetts
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Illinois
U of Colorado
U of Arizona
TUlane
Case Western
Eastern Virginia
Indiana
Oakland University
Ohio State
UCSF
U of cincinnati
U of connecticut
U of Kentucky
U of Maryland
U of Miami
U of Minnesota
U of North Carolina
U of Vermont
U of Wisconsin
UMich
Wayne State
West Virgnia
Western MIchigan

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you need shadowing-around 50 hours with a good bit with a primary care doc. Why are you retaking a 516 MCAT score? If you score lower or even the same your judgement can be questioned. Unless you are absolutely sure you can score a 520+ don’t retake it. Use the study time for something else.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not need an MCAT retake; you need a little higher GPA (LOT higher for Case or Michigan). Your list includes many public schools where your OOS chances are small. You are applying next summer?

You need shadowing and service orientation nonclinical experience more than an MCAT retake. Service orientation means activities like food distribution, shelter work, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

What networking have you done with the schools on your list? What is your compelling backstory? What is your mission fit? Are you applying for MD/PhD?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
  1. cGPA: 3.38 and sGPA:3.34
  2. 516 (currently studying again and will retake in Jan/2024, aiming for a 520+)
  3. NY resident
  4. Chinese female, first gen immigrant (moved to the US when I was 13)
  5. undergrad: NYU
  6. Clinical experience: 1800 hours, paid medical scribe at a neurology clinic
  7. Research experience: 400 hours, unpaid undergrad research assistant. Currently have a full-time paid clinical research job that I will hold for two years (until matriculation in 2025 hopefully haha), which will give me about an additional ~3800 hours and 3+ pubs (co-author)
  8. Shadowing: None. Should I get some?
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours, English tutor for conflict-affected individuals in the Middle East, ongoing
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 1600 hours, paid resident assistant (Leadership). 320 hours, paid freshman advising (Leadership/teaching)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: NA
Here's my school list, it's very tentative (mostly schools in NY and OOS-friendly schools, didn't do much research besides that). My dream/reach schools are Case Western College program and UMich, so would love to hear WAMC with those two in particular, other than that very open to adding/deleting schools from this list! Thank you so much!!
(Will also apply DO!)

Albert Einstein
Albany Medical College
CUNY School of medicine
Hofstra
Icahn
Jacobs school at University of Buffalo
NY Medical College
NYU
NY Ulong island
SUNY Downstate
University of ROchester
COrnell
Cooper medical school of rowan university
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Drexel
Geisinger
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
U of Pittsburgh
BU
U of Massachusetts
Virginia Commonwealth
U of Illinois
U of Colorado
U of Arizona
TUlane
Case Western
Eastern Virginia
Indiana
Oakland University
Ohio State
UCSF
U of cincinnati
U of connecticut
U of Kentucky
U of Maryland
U of Miami
U of Minnesota
U of North Carolina
U of Vermont
U of Wisconsin
UMich
Wayne State
West Virgnia
Western MIchigan
I agree that you should retake your MCAT. The risks of it going down are serious.

I recommend you remove the following schools from your list:

UMich, UNC, Case Western (unless you just have to try), Cornell, NYU, UCSF, BU, and Icahn, For some schools your scribing experience may be enough so that you don't need to do shadowing, but it's not primary care. To be on the safe side, do a little shadowing in primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few (if any) non residents with your cGPA pf 3.38 and a sGPA of 3.34 and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hofstra
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson