Should I retake DAT or not!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lonely Sol

cowgoesmoo fan!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I juust took my DAT and was wondering if it will be good enough to get in somewhere. I made a 20AA/20TS/18PAT. I am just afraid I wont get in because of my GPA, I have a 3.1-overall and 3.4-sci. ALthough I have gotten all "A"s and like 1-"B" in past 3 semesters. I have been showing improvements. I would appreciate any comments!!

Members don't see this ad.

Lonely Sol said:
Hi I juust took my DAT and was wondering if it will be good enough to get in somewhere. I made a 20AA/20TS/18PAT. I am just afraid I wont get in because of my GPA, I have a 3.1-overall and 3.4-sci. ALthough I have gotten all "A"s and like 1-"B" in past 3 semesters. I have been showing improvements. I would appreciate any comments!!

Nope, you're good to go! Great job! Just relax and apply early. You'll be fine... :thumbup:

Considering it says you are from atlanta, I would have to say it's not enough to get into MCG. You need a lot better gpa and maybe a 21 or 22 to get in nowadays if you are a 1st time applicant. However, apply to a lot of schools and you will get into one of them. Make sure you research and see which ones accept out of staters (and make sure the out of staters aren't from selected states...ie. colorado only accepts applicants from "wiche" states..don't bother with them). UAB is a waste to apply to considering they only accept 1 or 2 out of state. Go with NYU, BU, Maryland, NOVA, Louisville, west virginia, (if minority Howard and Meharry) and a couple others. Good luck.

So, all in all dont take it again?! Also, i dont think I will get into MCG anyways but I dont really want to go there. I am going to apply to bunch of state school. Does anyone think I will have a chance in getting into Case Western, Tufts, UMD, or BU??

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should definitely apply to MCG. Atleast give it a shot....I think you will be fine applying to BU, NYU, Tufts, and UMD. Nova also has a large class. Good Luck!!!

your dat scores are competitive to most schools. check out www.predents.com to see the #'s.

what was your breakdown for AA? If it was all around 20 then you are golden, but if you got a 25 in o-chem but a 15 in bio, then you will need to retake.

I scored that exact same as you did on the DAT last year, and am only in at one school and I have a GPA of 3.6. If you are applying to your state school you should be okay, or if you have an amazing resume. Otherwise you should worry.

Bio-20
Gchem-19
Org-22
QR-19
RC-18
AA--20
TS--20
PAT--18

These are the breakdown, do u think,. Illl be okay! Also, I am applying to state school, but the problem is there is only one school here. But most of all, I am worried about GPA, Mine is only 3.1 overall and 3.4-3.5-sci. I hope I get in somewhere!! ANyone else had the similar scores and gotten in somewhere.

Is there any school I should definately apply where I will have the best chance!!!
--Really appreciate everybody's help!!

danieldoc said:
I scored that exact same as you did on the DAT last year, and am only in at one school and I have a GPA of 3.6. If you are applying to your state school you should be okay, or if you have an amazing resume. Otherwise you should worry.
Well..What do you mean by amazing resume!?

Here is my stats:

--Treasurer of Chemistry Club
--Member of ASDA (American Student Dental Assoc.)
--Member of AMSA (American Medical Student Assoc.)
--Did around 100 hours of community service (mentorship program @church plus salvation army)
--Will have about 200-250 hours of shadowing by the time I apply
--3 LOR from dentists
--Worked at a custom car body shop (i know it has nothing to do with it but just thought I would put it in).

Do you guys think, that will be a good resume!?

Lonely Sol said:
Bio-20
Gchem-19
Org-22
QR-19
RC-18
AA--20
TS--20
PAT--18

These are the breakdown, do u think,. Illl be okay! Also, I am applying to state school, but the problem is there is only one school here. But most of all, I am worried about GPA, Mine is only 3.1 overall and 3.4-3.5-sci. I hope I get in somewhere!! ANyone else had the similar scores and gotten in somewhere.

Is there any school I should definately apply where I will have the best chance!!!
--Really appreciate everybody's help!!

solid breakdown.

nothing is for sure in dental school admissions, but i think you should be fine.

APPLY EARLY!

good luck.

howui3 said:
solid breakdown.

nothing is for sure in dental school admissions, but i think you should be fine.

APPLY EARLY!

good luck.

WHat do you think about the extracirricular activities, do u thinks its enough or should i do more?