Should I push my DAT back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuskyUC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people ask this question, and I know the common answer is just to focus on weaknesses and keep pushing along but I'm kind of uncertain at this point.

I had planned on taking it on in about a week (16th) but based on some practice tests I'm not too sure.

I'm confident with general chemistry and have been doing well on the practice tests (18-20ish average) and about the same, maybe a bit less with bio. I have went through GC twice with destroyer and that really helped solidify things, Bio I'm halfway through on my second round and want to complete at least another round.

For orgo, I have been through chad's videos and took detailed notes and I'm literally getting almost all of the destroyer problems wrong. They seem foreign to me even though I just did it, but I am going to keep continuing going through destroyer, maybe 2-3 more times before my test. I have been making flash cards for the questions I get wrong so that is a bit time consuming but I have more than half done. I took a DAT genius Orgo practice test and got a 17 on it, and the material seemed a bit more easier and practical but it's just very in depth for destroyer and kind of degrading lol. I've been memorizing the road maps through flashcards and am doing okay with that, but I have about 2000-3000 flashcards total as of now and its really hard finding time to go through them all.

For PAT I am literally getting demolished. I score barely a 17 (most of the time <17) on BC and I'm not really confident on any of the sections but I have been practicing with the generators but there's only so much I can learn in a week.

For QR I've done 10 practice tests and haven't taken the remaining four which I need time to do.

I ideally would like to go through Chad's videos again at 2x speed just to gain a bit more comprehension and fill in gaps, do all of the quizzes again, and hopefully gain a bit more understanding of the material.

What would you guys do in my situation? (I'm leaning towards pushing it back a week, but I'm hesitant to do so because I fear its getting later and later in the cycle, however I do have all my LoR's, transcripts mailed & received to AADSAS)

Members don't see this ad.

if you read my breakdown you should be able to compare your practice scores to mine. Mine wasn't that great.
I went over destroyer OC 4 times, GC 5 times, bio 3 times.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a lot of people ask this question, and I know the common answer is just to focus on weaknesses and keep pushing along but I'm kind of uncertain at this point.

I had planned on taking it on in about a week (16th) but based on some practice tests I'm not too sure.

I'm confident with general chemistry and have been doing well on the practice tests (18-20ish average) and about the same, maybe a bit less with bio. I have went through GC twice with destroyer and that really helped solidify things, Bio I'm halfway through on my second round and want to complete at least another round.

For orgo, I have been through chad's videos and took detailed notes and I'm literally getting almost all of the destroyer problems wrong. They seem foreign to me even though I just did it, but I am going to keep continuing going through destroyer, maybe 2-3 more times before my test. I have been making flash cards for the questions I get wrong so that is a bit time consuming but I have more than half done. I took a DAT genius Orgo practice test and got a 17 on it, and the material seemed a bit more easier and practical but it's just very in depth for destroyer and kind of degrading lol. I've been memorizing the road maps through flashcards and am doing okay with that, but I have about 2000-3000 flashcards total as of now and its really hard finding time to go through them all.

For PAT I am literally getting demolished. I score barely a 17 (most of the time <17) on BC and I'm not really confident on any of the sections but I have been practicing with the generators but there's only so much I can learn in a week.

For QR I've done 10 practice tests and haven't taken the remaining four which I need time to do.

I ideally would like to go through Chad's videos again at 2x speed just to gain a bit more comprehension and fill in gaps, do all of the quizzes again, and hopefully gain a bit more understanding of the material.

What would you guys do in my situation? (I'm leaning towards pushing it back a week, but I'm hesitant to do so because I fear its getting later and later in the cycle, however I do have all my LoR's, transcripts mailed & received to AADSAS)
I had a much tougher time going through OC than GC on the destroyer as well. I think their genchem section has a lot less crazy exception problems and isn't as tricky overall.

I had a much tougher time going through OC than GC on the destroyer as well. I think their genchem section has a lot less crazy exception problems and isn't as tricky overall.

Yeah I definitely agree, I feel as though even though I took Orgo like 3 years ago, everything seems new to me, and Destroyer really is very nitty gritty but I know that these are the little details you need to retain. I'm just nervous because I'd rather just push the DAT back than go in haphazardly and do bad and wait 3 months :(

Members don't see this ad :)
if you read my breakdown you should be able to compare your practice scores to mine. Mine wasn't that great.
I went over destroyer OC 4 times, GC 5 times, bio 3 times.

Once I'm done making the flashcards for all the questions I have trouble on, I feel as if I can get through destroyer pretty quickly.. doing 100 problems a day or so. How long did it take you to get through them after the whole notecard process?

Yeah, I score about 78% correct for chemistry, Bio about 75%, and organic can be like 65%. It is definitely much harder.

Once I'm done making the flashcards for all the questions I have trouble on, I feel as if I can get through destroyer pretty quickly.. doing 100 problems a day or so. How long did it take you to get through them after the whole notecard process?
exactly 1 day before my test, I went over all 300+ questions for GC quite fast. Not exactly sure how long it took me

Yeah, I score about 78% correct for chemistry, Bio about 75%, and organic can be like 65%. It is definitely much harder.

The multi-synthesis problems really mess with my head. I know the basics of the reactions in the roadmaps, but when stereochemistry and other things get involved it is a huge mind boggling experience and makes me so frustrated lol. But oddly, going through GC which I feel good about it's rewarding because I get much more right and actually understand. Whereas with orgo, a lot of them are just educated guesses lol

exactly 1 day before my test, I went over all 300+ questions for GC quite fast. Not exactly sure how long it took me

Yeah definitely, once I have the notecards done like the ones I have for GC, I just go through the problems, do them out and then review the solutions, highlight the important tidbits and repeat.

2 weeks. I missed a decent chunk, and I made cards on everything. Even on stuff I got right that had explanations that I wasn't exposed to before.

That is similar to my run as well.

2 weeks. I missed a decent chunk, and I made cards on everything. Even on stuff I got right that had explanations that I wasn't exposed to before.

That is similar to my run as well.

How exactly are you reviewing the notecards after?

How exactly are you reviewing the notecards after?
I've reviewed them already but will do them again. I reviewed the cards then put every question I missed into another pile. Then I went through that pile and kept running through it. Doing Odyssey now

HuskyUC

I have been asked this question many times through the years. I always advise the student to go with their gut instinct. From what you have stated, my advice would be to push the test back. Don't worry about being a week later in the cycle focus on Destroying the DAT. That extra week of study could make a huge difference and also relieve some anxiety I am sure you are feeling.

This is not a test you want to take more than once if it can be avoided.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop making note cards for every single missed problem. Waste so much time. Just highlight your notes what you missed and come back to it again.

Stop making note cards for every single missed problem. Waste so much time. Just highlight your notes what you missed and come back to it again.
I think this depends on the amount of time you have left. Like during the school year if I am cramming, notecards would take too long. But if you have time to make them, running through notecards is pretty efficient imo.

I think this depends on the amount of time you have left. Like during the school year if I am cramming, notecards would take too long. But if you have time to make them, running through notecards is pretty efficient imo.

I agree but this guy's test is in a week and he hardly has over 2000 cards.

That's an insane amount of cards.

Yea true if I had less time I definitely would not make cards. Took me a very long time. Hopefully it works out

Yea true if I had less time I definitely would not make cards. Took me a very long time. Hopefully it works out
I think the process of actually making the notecards helps a lot. I ended up with ~1000 notecards (bio and chems combined). Writing stuff down helps you remember.

I think the process of actually making the notecards helps a lot. I ended up with ~1000 notecards (bio and chems combined). Writing stuff down helps you remember.
Yea just depends. In some classes last semester I made a bunch of cards and didn't have much time to study them. Would have been better to just reread or cover the notes with one hand and explain than make 1000 cards. But I agree with writing helps you remember things.

Yea just depends. In some classes last semester I made a bunch of cards and didn't have much time to study them. Would have been better to just reread or cover the notes with one hand and explain than make 1000 cards. But I agree with writing helps you remember things.
To each his own! Haha for my destroyer roadmaps, instead of flashcards, I just put sticky notes over all the reagents or products. It got pretty messy but my finger couldn't cover everything at the same time.

HuskyUC

I have been asked this question many times through the years. I always advise the student to go with their gut instinct. From what you have stated, my advice would be to push the test back. Don't worry about being a week later in the cycle focus on Destroying the DAT. That extra week of study could make a huge difference and also relieve some anxiety I am sure you are feeling.

This is not a test you want to take more than once if it can be avoided.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

Thanks for the reply! I definitely agree with what you're saying. Sadly, the date I wanted is not even available anymore so that just adds to the anxiety.

It definitely helps me to write them out, and also I believe thats why I understand gen chem so well, was just going through the flashcards over and over again

If you don't feel ready, don't take it yet and push it back. Ultimately you're the one who knows if you feel prepared or not

I wish I had switched when there was a date availability. Now there isn't one until August 14th. Sigh. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The multi-synthesis problems for OC on the actual DAT are really simple compared to what you learn in an average OC course. If you master the Roadmaps and make sure you can distinguish between SN2/E2 as well as make sense of all those condensations, then you should be golden for OC.

As for the PAT, I found the Bootcamp PAT tests much more harsh than the actual. I never scored above a 19 on the BC tests, but got a 22 on the actual. The key is to do enough practice problems that you start recognizing shortcuts - especially important for TFE and pattern folding. (For instance the key in pattern folding is not to fold the whole thing in your head, but to recognize where things attach.)

However, if you are feeling really behind, then I think you should push your DAT back, rather than waste $400 and 3 months of your time.

The multi-synthesis problems for OC on the actual DAT are really simple compared to what you learn in an average OC course. If you master the Roadmaps and make sure you can distinguish between SN2/E2 as well as make sense of all those condensations, then you should be golden for OC.

As for the PAT, I found the Bootcamp PAT tests much more harsh than the actual. I never scored above a 19 on the BC tests, but got a 22 on the actual. The key is to do enough practice problems that you start recognizing shortcuts - especially important for TFE and pattern folding. (For instance the key in pattern folding is not to fold the whole thing in your head, but to recognize where things attach.)

However, if you are feeling really behind, then I think you should push your DAT back, rather than waste $400 and 3 months of your time.

Thanks so much for your response. Very detailed and congrats on your amazing scores! How would you recommend mastering the road maps? I have made flash cards of all of them and I just have been reviewing them and slowly am starting to pick up on trends. Also do you have any tips for TFE?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your response. Very detailed and congrats on your amazing scores! How would you recommend mastering the road maps? I have made flash cards of all of them and I just have been reviewing them and slowly am starting to pick up on trends. Also do you have any tips for TFE?

Thanks again!

For road maps, I ripped up some sticky notes and used them to cover either the reactants or products. Then, I would really try to think about what the answer might be before I removed the sticky note. I also had some flashcards, but I liked this way.
For TFE, see if this helps (it's free!) http://datbootcamp.com/classroom/perceptual-ability/top-front-end-visualizer/