Need advice!! Should I push back my DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloethedent

Reaction score
My DAT is 5 days away and I'm starting to get very worried about how I will do. I've studied for a little over 3 months at this point while taking a full course load and having some pretty heavy leadership roles + research and volunteering. I've been using Bootcamp and on the past 4 full length tests haven't been able to score above an 18 AA (with my ochem being ~16-17, yikes I know). I wanted to get at least a 20 because my sGPA is lower than I would like (my overall is decent though), so I'm panicking. I was planning to apply early this cycle, but pushing back might have to force me to apply a little later, not to mention I have a week long family vacation planned in 2 weeks that would result in less studying. Any advice is appreciated here (tips for ochem too)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With 5 days to go you’d be facing around 150$ to reschedule. And with such little time to you you really need to decide what’s best for you.

When I was studying and taking full length tests I don’t think I broke 19AA using Kaplan and I was averaging around what you were. But when I took the actual exam I found it a lot easier. The point of these study tools is to over prepare you. So that when you take the exam, you find yourself knowing a lot more than you thought you did. Now I can’t speak to how boot camp runs their program, but I’ve heard good things about it. If you’ve been studying, and have been consistent it may still be worth it to take the exam.

But applying late could hurt you, especially if you don’t do well. Even if you score a 19AA, applying earlier will at least give you a solid chance, versus applying late.

My recommendation, take the test.

My DAT is 5 days away and I'm starting to get very worried about how I will do. I've studied for a little over 3 months at this point while taking a full course load and having some pretty heavy leadership roles + research and volunteering. I've been using Bootcamp and on the past 4 full length tests haven't been able to score above an 18 AA (with my ochem being ~16-17, yikes I know). I wanted to get at least a 20 because my sGPA is lower than I would like (my overall is decent though), so I'm panicking. I was planning to apply early this cycle, but pushing back might have to force me to apply a little later, not to mention I have a week long family vacation planned in 2 weeks that would result in less studying. Any advice is appreciated here (tips for ochem too)!
As someone who's worked with many students, I understand that getting ready for a challenging exam can feel daunting. You have a lot on your plate right now, and it's important to make sure your mindset is in the right place.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether you're ready for the exam or not. But if you have any doubts, it's better to err on the side of caution and reschedule. Trust your gut – if it's telling you that you need more time, especially with Organic, then listen to it!

Just my 2 cents

Nancy Steen, co/owner, Destroyers

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank u all for your help! I’ve decided to push back to the first week in July, I didn’t do well in either of my ochem lectures so I really want to prove that I can understand the material here, and feel that I need more time to be able to do it. Hopefully I can do well enough that applying in early July will give me a decent shot, but I’m not completely against the idea of a gap year also. I had a super busy semester and these extra few weeks will allow me to be more confident, for now I’d rather take the time now to know I gave it my all than hoping for the best and having to take it again! Thank u all again :)

Thank u all for your help! I’ve decided to push back to the first week in July, I didn’t do well in either of my ochem lectures so I really want to prove that I can understand the material here, and feel that I need more time to be able to do it. Hopefully I can do well enough that applying in early July will give me a decent shot, but I’m not completely against the idea of a gap year also. I had a super busy semester and these extra few weeks will allow me to be more confident, for now I’d rather take the time now to know I gave it my all than hoping for the best and having to take it again! Thank u all again :)
Sounds like a winning plan! Wishing you the best in your studies and on the DAT...Nancy