DAT Destroyer Timing and Pushing back DAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaya97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about three weeks away from my DAT and about to finish going through Destroyer for the first time. I keep getting lots of questions wrong (averaging about 50-60% on gen chem and QR). :( I'm going to soon start going through it a second time as I follow Ari's schedule but I saw that this time around I'm supposed to time myself. If you guys followed this schedule and you timed yourself, if you couldn't finish it in the time period, did you stop or did you finish it and go over time? Also, I can't decide if I should push back my test or not. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally never timed myself doing destroyer. I only used used it to practice and learn.
I didn't really run into time constraints during the science part of the exam.

Just make sure to time yourself during practice exams and you should be fine :)

Reactions: 1 user
You shouldn't worry about getting 50% of the questions wrong when working on destroyer. That book is a collection of really tough questions. I barely got any right my first time through. Use it to learn.
Use bootcamp quizes/tests to really see where you are at. (still harder than the actual DAT). Or maybe even an old version of the DAT. If you still aren't scoring well, then push the DAT back.

I am about three weeks away from my DAT and about to finish going through Destroyer for the first time. I keep getting lots of questions wrong (averaging about 50-60% on gen chem and QR). :( I'm going to soon start going through it a second time as I follow Ari's schedule but I saw that this time around I'm supposed to time myself. If you guys followed this schedule and you timed yourself, if you couldn't finish it in the time period, did you stop or did you finish it and go over time? Also, I can't decide if I should push back my test or not. Any advice would be appreciated!
DAT Destroyer was never intended to be used as a timed test tool. If you know the material you will have more than enough
time, if you aren't fully prepared all the time in the world will not help you.

A big mistake students make is using a study schedule and not use good common sense. All students are different use a schedule that fits your needs, one study schedule will not fit all students.

Bottom line is DO NOT take the DAT until you feel totally prepared. If your test date is fast approaching and you are still feeling unsure, the best advice I can give is reschedule. The biggest mistake I see students make is rush to take the DAT when not fully prepared and the results often spell retake.

I work with thousands of students a year and have years of experience in the area.

Another word of advice, there are many versions of the DAT and students do not take the same test. One students experience may not be the same you encounter on the DAT. You must prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
push back your exam date. if youre just finishing destroyer now, youre going to need more time. Once isnt enough for most people. personally i did the book 3x before taking my exam.

also, no one schedule is going to work for everyone. artificially marginalizing yourself to a schedule and a deadline instead of working to your strengths and weaknesses is a sure way to not do well on the dat.

Reactions: 1 users
I pushed my exam the day before and I don't regret it. Ended up with a 25 in Gchem and 29 in Orgo. Don't time yourself using destroyer, just make sure you understand why the solution is what it is. What matters is that you are understanding. The real DAT is much much simpler and if you understand Destroyer you will understand the chemistry on the DAT

Thank you all for your response! I did end up pushing it back a couple of days so that I could have the long weekend to study. I just took it this morning and ended up getting a TS20 AA20 PAT21...but my RQ score was a 16. Your advices really helped a lot with my TS score!

Also, for the QR there was no trig or geometry on mine for those wondering....really bummed because I spent so much time getting better at those. lol Oh well, you win some, you lose some. haha

Thank you all for your response! I did end up pushing it back a couple of days so that I could have the long weekend to study. I just took it this morning and ended up getting a TS20 AA20 PAT21...but my RQ score was a 16. Your advices really helped a lot with my TS score!

Also, for the QR there was no trig or geometry on mine for those wondering....really bummed because I spent so much time getting better at those. lol Oh well, you win some, you lose some. haha

I think overall you did well, but the QR is low, I heard some people got in with such score, it all depends on your GPA.
Best of luck!

I think overall you did well, but the QR is low, I heard some people got in with such score, it all depends on your GPA.
Best of luck!
Thanks!! I have about a 3.79 plus a semester of cadaver dissection, shadow hours, about 500 volunteer hours, club founder/president, maintained a job, bachelors in three years...so hopefully schools look past it!

Thanks!! I have about a 3.79 plus a semester of cadaver dissection, shadow hours, about 500 volunteer hours, club founder/president, maintained a job, bachelors in three years...so hopefully schools look past it!

Awesome Stats, now just make sure your Personal statement is very good to make your application even better.
Best of luck :)