Should I pay for a seat while still having interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC30

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an acceptance at Rocky Mountain last week but I still have interviews until the middle of February. I liked the facility and it’s faculty but I’d preferably like to stay in California. I have two CA school interviews this Friday and in February. The payment/acceptance is due this Tuesday. I would pay to hold the seat but it’s $1000 and non-refundable. And I’m stressed/concerned about giving up this seat and not getting an acceptance at the other schools I’ve interviewed/applied for.
I’d love to get some input and insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would risk it and go ahead and pay the deposit because like you said, there’s a chance you won’t get an acceptance at another school.

Aren't CA schools very competitive? I'd ask for an extension, and if they won't give it, pay the deposit. I know it sucks, but you'd be so stressed and worried if you didn't put it down until you heard from the other schools. Then, if you didn't get in, you'd kick yourself for a year. :/ It's not worth the stress, imo, even though it is definitely a lot of money. It's a drop in the bucket compared to tuition or another year's worth of living costs and round of applications while you wait to get in. My advice would be to consider the 1k a therapeutic cost- the price you pay for having waaaaay less stress waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would risk it and go ahead and pay the deposit because like you said, there’s a chance you won’t get an acceptance at another school.

I would pay it without even thinking twice if it was like 200-500 but a grand is so much
But I’ve heard that if you get an interview, you have a good chance of getting into the school so that’s what’s making me think twice

Aren't CA schools very competitive? I'd ask for an extension, and if they won't give it, pay the deposit. I know it sucks, but you'd be so stressed and worried if you didn't put it down until you heard from the other schools. Then, if you didn't get in, you'd kick yourself for a year. :/ It's not worth the stress, imo, even though it is definitely a lot of money. It's a drop in the bucket compared to tuition or another year's worth of living costs and round of applications while you wait to get in. My advice would be to consider the 1k a therapeutic cost- the price you pay for having waaaaay less stress waiting.

Yeah that’s a good point. Application costs and wasting a whole year is more than the cost to hold the seat

I would pay it without even thinking twice if it was like 200-500 but a grand is so much
But I’ve heard that if you get an interview, you have a good chance of getting into the school so that’s what’s making me think twice

Remember, a chance and a guarantee are two separate things. :)

I would also pay for the seat.

It's a gamble. I had to pay my deposit and later lose it when I got accepted to my first-choice school. I would say pay deposit to the 1st school you got accepted to for your own sake and security, but do not pay any other deposits to other schools if you get accepted there unless those are in CA. In my case, my deposit also counted as a part of my tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember, a chance and a guarantee are two separate things. :)

I would also pay for the seat.

Paid for it today. Someone made a really good point that $1000 is minimal compared to a year of waiting for the next cycle plus application costs

Reactions: 1 users
It's a gamble. I had to pay my deposit and later lose it when I got accepted to my first-choice school. I would say pay deposit to the 1st school you got accepted to for your own sake and security, but do not pay any other deposits to other schools if you get accepted there unless those are in CA. In my case, my deposit also counted as a part of my tuition.

Paid for my seat. Thinking of it as an investment and it’s a huge mental relief