Holding multiple seats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaseianmo

Reaction score
Is we get multiple acceptances, are we able to hold more than one seat at a time? I'm deciding between 2 schools and I'm already holding a seat at the first program. Am I able to accept the second seat while I decide? Obviously I'm not going to do this for long as it takes a seat from someone else but I would like to be able to decide without rushing.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about that too. Some schools want me to sign a letter of acceptance. Is this a binding document?

Thank you! That post is very good, but it doesn't say anything about these letters you have to sign. If you do, does this mean that you have to pay deposit too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a school tell me that theyre able to see if i put down multiple deposits and that theyll rescinde my acceptance if I do lol. but they’re the only school that said that they would so idk

Members don't see this ad :)

This PT offers a great breakdown of how they leveraged a second acceptance offer to get more money from a different school. It also talks about how schools/admissions committees can see if you put down multiple deposits. From what I've read, it sounds like some schools care ( just read about a Delaware student who was told offers get rescinded when applicants do this), and others don't, like in this article when the director from Columbia reached out and just asked if she was still interested and allowed her more time to think about it.

So yeah, from what I gather, it sounds like the best practice is to call the admissions committees to the schools you have multiple deposits on, and just confirm that they wont be mad or you wont get in trouble. I also suspect that the fewer schools you have deposits on, the less concerned they will be. Having deposits down for more than two schools just seems excessive.

This PT offers a great breakdown of how they leveraged a second acceptance offer to get more money from a different school. It also talks about how schools/admissions committees can see if you put down multiple deposits. From what I've read, it sounds like some schools care ( just read about a Delaware student who was told offers get rescinded when applicants do this), and others don't, like in this article when the director from Columbia reached out and just asked if she was still interested and allowed her more time to think about it.

So yeah, from what I gather, it sounds like the best practice is to call the admissions committees to the schools you have multiple deposits on, and just confirm that they wont be mad or you wont get in trouble. I also suspect that the fewer schools you have deposits on, the less concerned they will be. Having deposits down for more than two schools just seems excessive.
I wrote this blog post and I have an updated version on my website with information straight from PTCAS. I get flagged for linking to my own stuff, which is unfortunate because it is helpful, so Google me and you can get a better understanding of holding multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied last year and had this issue a few times. I asked for extensions on my decision from a few programs and all of them obliged. So I would continue to hold your seat at school A and ask school B for an extension while you make your decision. Then if you choose school B just rescind your acceptance to school A and accept school B

There are rules that govern schools regarding offers. You should be able to hold multiple offers until (I think) mid December.

This link has the protocols for offers of admission to PT programs governed by ACAPT:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user