Should I have my PI send a support letter to our school's MSTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tophu246

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I hope everyone is having a good day.

I'm currently applying to MD/PhD programs this cycle and I really want to get into the MSTP program at the school I am currently working in. I was suggested by some peers to ask my PI to send a support letter to our school's MSTP admission committee at the beginning of the cycle. However, I was reluctant to ask my PI as he already helped me with a lot of stuff, including my medical school application and a very good letter of recommendation.

Moving onto today, my PI asked me if I want a support letter or a form of email communication to his colleagues in the MSTP committee to help me expedite the consideration of my application. His reason was that because I helped him set up a very critical project in his lab, it would greatly benefit myself and the lab if I can stay and pursue my MD/PhD at the school.

My PI has mentored an MSTP student in the past so he does get in touch with the MSTP members from time to time. He's also a member of a research center that has a huge presence in our school's MSTP committee. As such, it seems like he is in a comfortable position to get in touch with our school's MSTP committee members. The only issue is that my PI has never done this before so he is not sure what is the best approach to this.

My PI suggested that he could email his colleague, who just stepped down as the MSTP director this year, to check up on a student that he previously mentored and mentioned my name on the email to let his colleague know that he wants to recommend me to the program.

I don't have any red flag on my application and statistics; my MCAT is lower than the school's MSTP's average matriculant MCAT, but definitely not out of the picture. Also, the school is implementing an MCAT-free screening process for interview invite, and is still making the MCAT optional this year (I'm guessing you all already have an idea what school this is). As such, I feel like having a strong support and connection would greatly enhance my chance of getting into the program.

Hence, my question is whether it is wise to have my PI send his support letter or get in touch with our school's MSTP admission committee on my behalf? and if yes, what do you suggest is the best approach to this, whether a formal support letter, a casual email to his colleagues, or something else?

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just an applicant but I think this is a no-brainer. I can only see this helping you! I would have him maybe submit a "formal letter of support" directly to the admissions committee/program director. I would talk with him and ask what he thinks is the most effective approach.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that he should provide this letter. However the rationale "His reason was that because I helped him set up a very critical project in his lab, it would greatly benefit myself and the lab if I can stay and pursue my MD/PhD at the school" is entirely self-serving and I would never have pursued this person as a PhD mentor. He should have provided this letter because it was in your professional interests and he is already your mentor, who should want the best for you. Not because it serves him. You don't want to work for, or marry, or be friends with someone who only does things for you because you've done something for them recently. It's not an uncommon attitude among PIs, but it's still pathologic.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that he should provide this letter. However the rationale "His reason was that because I helped him set up a very critical project in his lab, it would greatly benefit myself and the lab if I can stay and pursue my MD/PhD at the school" is entirely self-serving and I would never have pursued this person as a PhD mentor. He should have provided this letter because it was in your professional interests and he is already your mentor, who should want the best for you. Not because it serves him. You don't want to work for, or marry, or be friends with someone who only does things for you because you've done something for them recently. It's not an uncommon attitude among PIs, but it's still pathologic.

But if the OP is interested in the research, works well in the lab, has already demonstrated success in this context, and has a reasonably good relationship with the PI, all together those factors would constitute a big leg up on a successful PhD project vs starting over with unknown lab/mentor. I agree it benefits the PI not to lose a trained/effective individual, but it also benefits the OP. I wouldn't call this 'pathologic.'

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't call this 'pathologic.'
not the relationship or project— the (narcissistic) attitude among some PIs that only ever do things that serve their interest, where there is no functional mentor/mentee relationship. It’s not clear what’s happening here but the mentor/mentee relationship is important to nurture (and pathologic if nonexistent)