This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tietie1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone writes their credentials on here and I've read some really good advice but nothing like my situation. I plan on applying for med schools DO or MD for the upcoming cycle. My overall gpa is a 3.1. My practice mcat scores are in the low 500's. I know alone those stats don't seem impressive or stand out. During the my first half of college my gpa was around a 2.4. My mother lost her job, my younger brother passed away, I started working full time hours and being a first generation college student was hard enough. Toward the second half of college I got my act together and dug myself out of the rut I was in. My average gpa for my second half of college is around a 3.7 including hard science classes like physics advanced bios, and organic chem lab.
I have great work experience working in research and as a nurse technician at a hospital. My letters of recommendations will be from professors and directors of departments that I have worked for. I have a lot of volunteer hours as well.

Could anyone offer some advice? I have worked in medicine alongside physicians for 5 years now and I really enjoy it. I would love it even more if I could become apart of the team as a physician.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have an upward trend in your overall GPA and science GPA, which works in your favor. In my opinion however, a 3.1 overall GPA (and I assume your science GPA is near 3.1) and low MCAT scores will hurt your chances of getting interviews. Those are significant challenges you've overcome, but I still think you may need to raise your GPA and get a slightly better MCAT to become a more competitive applicant.

If you can raise your overall GPA and science GPA to about a 3.4 with the help of 1-2 years formal/informal postbac classes (or maybe an SMP), I think you would have a better shot of getting interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine for most DO schools and for MD, your state school, and the low-tiers like Drexel and Albany.

I know everyone writes their credentials on here and I've read some really good advice but nothing like my situation. I plan on applying for med schools DO or MD for the upcoming cycle. My overall gpa is a 3.1. My practice mcat scores are in the low 500's. I know alone those stats don't seem impressive or stand out. During the my first half of college my gpa was around a 2.4. My mother lost her job, my younger brother passed away, I started working full time hours and being a first generation college student was hard enough. Toward the second half of college I got my act together and dug myself out of the rut I was in. My average gpa for my second half of college is around a 3.7 including hard science classes like physics advanced bios, and organic chem lab.
I have great work experience working in research and as a nurse technician at a hospital. My letters of recommendations will be from professors and directors of departments that I have worked for. I have a lot of volunteer hours as well.

Could anyone offer some advice? I have worked in medicine alongside physicians for 5 years now and I really enjoy it. I would love it even more if I could become apart of the team as a physician.

Thanks in advance!!

I would concur with the cookie monster on this

The upward trend is highly significant especially with the loss of a sibling impacting the candidate. It actually would show significant resilience and determination, though some additional GPA work would be useful.

However, that MCAT does not support the academic ability shown in the second half of UG. I would suggest skipping this cycle and prepping for MCAT to improve that score as well as getting at least a course or two would put you in a much better position to apply.

Do you think it would be worth it to apply for a master's in biomedical science? I have my official MCAT in two weeks. My most recent practice MCAT score is a 505.

Sounds like you have an upward trend in your overall GPA and science GPA, which works in your favor. In my opinion however, a 3.1 overall GPA (and I assume your science GPA is near 3.1) and low MCAT scores will hurt your chances of getting interviews. Those are significant challenges you've overcome, but I still think you may need to raise your GPA and get a slightly better MCAT to become a more competitive applicant.

If you can raise your overall GPA and science GPA to about a 3.4 with the help of 1-2 years formal/informal postbac classes (or maybe an SMP), I think you would have a better shot of getting interviews.

An SMP program is something I have been considering. Thank you for your reply!