Shaq gets his MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...UATE?SITE=NJBRI&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Shaq Adds MBA to His Three NBA Titles

By ROBERT JABLON
Associated Press Writer

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal returned to the Forum on Saturday, not for an NBA game, but to pick up his MBA. The man who once called himself the Big Aristotle was the tallest and most famous of the 2,200 University of Phoenix graduates at the arena. But O'Neal said he was simply getting ready for the real world.

"It's just something to have on my resume (for) when I go back into reality," the 7-foot-1 Miami Heat center said before picking up his master's in business administration. "Someday I might have to put down a basketball and have a regular 9-to-5 like everybody else."

O'Neal played with the Los Angeles Lakers at the Forum until the team moved to the downtown Staples Center in 1999. Championship banners and the gold-and-purple jerseys of retired stars still hang on the walls.

"Sports for me has always been, you know, fairy tale life. And this right here is real life," he said of his degree. "This right here means more."

O'Neal left Louisiana State University as a junior in 1992 to turn pro, and made good on a promise to his mother to graduate, earning a bachelor's in business from LSU in 2000.

For the University of Phoenix, a national for-profit college that caters to working adults, the Big Graduate did online work, and, before he was traded, attended classes several days a week at a West Los Angeles campus. Fellow students weren't intimidated, he joked.

"They would all say, 'You're not like we thought you would be. You're not as smart as we thought that you would be,'" O'Neal said.

O'Neal, who left the Lakers following a well-publicized feud with Kobe Bryant, said his job experience came in handy in the classroom.

"I used my basketball experience working with different egos, to get everybody to work together," he said.

But O'Neal likes to be in charge. He previously took courses at a police academy and said he'll aim for another degree, in criminal justice. He hopes to eventually work as a sheriff or police chief and said he met some people in those top positions with advanced degrees.

"I wanted to have the same type of knowledge that they had," he said.

O'Neal worked with classmates to design mock sneaker and cell phone companies, though he already had more than a little experience in the business world from product endorsements, his own clothing line and forays into movies and music.

The degree, he said, "solidifies that I'm a businessman."

The Big Executive is ready to take on Bill Gates and Donald Trump.

"I could always go and have a conversation with Mr. Gates or Mr. Trump. But now that I have this," he said, "I can really have a conversation with them on the same level that they have their conversations."

Members don't see this ad.

so he thinks hes ready to take me on eh. okay, just like business-athlete wunderkinds lew alcindor and mike tyson.

Members don't see this ad :)
good for him, how many of us would really do that if we were shaq? the guy could stop playing basketball tomorrow and live on an island for the rest of his life if he wanted and instead he got an MBA.

oh of course, my thread about starting a new med school is still lingering around. u phoenix is well known though maybe not reputed; i doubt that caliber would fly for a med school. you can have debt ridden mbas running around but not patient killing docs.

i think shaq might want to stay away from the mba, im not sure if its good for him. like the guys i mentioned, it would be tragic to see him squander everything he has on some silly business notions (i think magic johnsons actually doing ok however, in spite of his limited lifespan[or is it?]). it might be different if shaq struck me as an intelligent athlete, but i think thats best left for the tennis players.

addendum: on 2nd thought yeah, the fellow deserves some credit. what other players would take time to attend classes and study. unique character, i just hope things go ok for him.

BrettBatchelor said:
is the online degree legit?
it comes from a for-profit school. Shredder this gives me an idea....

I wouldn't consider this kind of on-line degree "legit" if you actually needed the MBA to get a job someplace. Business school ranking is far more important than other grad schools in terms of getting you hired, and U of Pheonix isn't going to help a resume. Then again, I doubt Shaq will ever need to give anyone a resume. :rolleyes:

yeah from what i hear u phoenix is more for knowledge than credentials. maybe it could land you a job as a fast food, restaurant, movie, or retail manager, but i doubt shaq would go for that. maybe the knowledge will do him well so he doesnt bankrupt himself, hmm im flip flopping all over the place.

The elitism some ooze is simply staggering.

Ever heard of don't hate the players hate the game?
This is the truth of the matter. With so many business schools handing MBA's out like candy, pedigree counts when it comes to securing the good jobs in business. You call it elitism, I call it job security.

I glad he did it. It says something to the "young kids coming up." If you spend all your money on bling and don't invest any, you'll end up a joke.

Magic Johnson recently signed a develpment deal with Starbucks. They are attempting to exapnd into new markets. His company also recently became one of the largest owner of Burger King franchises.

Yep, fast food, expensive coffee and bad movies have been real good to Magic. :p

Law2Doc said:
Just because Shaq got an MBA is no reason to label him a elitist. :D
im pretty confused as to what that was referring to in the first place. im not really picking up any elitism, let alone oozing elitism. mutant ooze a la super shredder maybe. law2doc i thought grownups go to bed at 10pm? +i just noticed, no avatar?

scales.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
law2doc i thought grownups go to bed at 10pm?

Us "grownups" don't need as much sleep as you kids. :D
I suspect the elitism comment was in reference to my saying that it was more important that one's MBA, unlike other grad degrees, come from a top notch place if you were going to try to use it to get your foot into the door someplace. As brettbatchelor pointed out -- nobody on SDN made up these rules. If you (thewzdoc) need proof of this, just send resumes with straight A's at a U of Pheonix MBA to the top Wall St firms and see how many want to interview you.

gable2.gif
justice.gif
caduceus.gif

medicine wins!

yeah the MBA ranking thing is common knowledge i thought

Shredder said:
gable2.gif
justice.gif
caduceus.gif

medicine wins!

yeah the MBA ranking thing is common knowledge i thought

That's actually kind of cool. I wouldn't know how to put it all into one picture to shrink down into an avatar though. Or maybe I could design a scalpel cutting through some corporate documents or something like that. Thanks for the suggestions!

I always knew MBA was a joke to attain, but it has become worthless in my mind now that Shaq has gotten it.

For all we know, he could have paid someone else to do it, or who the hell knows if he even took any exams at all?
It's very possible that he just donated a bit of money, just like he paid off that hooker who filed a charge against him for assault.

And then to show it off as if he had attained something valuable tops it off...
What an idiot.
What a sad world we live in when a 7 foot ogre earns more for running around sluggishly for 35 minutes than a doctor makes in one year.

shnjb said:
I always knew MBA was a joke to attain, but it has become worthless in my mind now that Shaq has gotten it.

For all we know, he could have paid someone else to do it, or who the hell knows if he even took any exams at all?
It's very possible that he just donated a bit of money, just like he paid off that hooker who filed a charge against him for assault.

What an idiot.
What a sad world we live in when a 7 foot ogre earns more for running around sluggishly for 35 minutes than a doctor makes in one year.

people pay to watch that "7 foot ogre", and what he does creates millions (more likely billions) in wealth for the owners, endorsers, etc. It's only fair that he gets some - no one complains when a hedge fund manager makes in 1 year what shaq would make in a lifetime. It's pretty simple in my opinion - the more you make for someone, the more you make from that someone.

sunnyjohn said:
I glad he did it. It says something to the "young kids coming up." If you spend all your money on bling and don't invest any, you'll end up a joke.

Magic Johnson recently signed a develpment deal with Starbucks. They are attempting to exapnd into new markets. His company also recently became one of the largest owner of Burger King franchises.

Yep, fast food, expensive coffee and bad movies have been real good to Magic. :p

exactly!!

I think this sends a great message to young kids about the value of education :)

shnjb said:

What an idiot.
:thumbdown: :rolleyes:

Are we jealous? He is at the top of his profession. We are not. In addition to that, he took time out to broaden his mind. I know it is easy to get caught up in the forest and miss the trees and try to tear apart his choice of college etc. I think that only reflects poorly on us. He has demonstrated true initiative by seeking to complete his college degree and obtain a masters. He is a positive roll model for young kids in a sea of bad ones. I think what he did is great.

Shaq just signed a 5 yr $100 Million dollar contract and he kindly turned down the initial heat offer of 5 years 125 Mil so they could sign Walker and other guys..

Shaq is just living the dream I wish I could!

He also became deputized by the Miami Beach police and I believe he wants to fight crimes vs children.

Shaq might not be the best bball player anymore but I hope D Wade can bring Miami their 1st championship and Shaq another one!

shnjb said:

What an idiot.

Best part is this poster is from Cali... Perhaps you need a lesson in some basic economics!