Shands Jacksonville Clinical Toxicology/ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sherlockRX

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody was looking into this program at Midyear. I'm just very interested in Clinical Toxicology and ER Medicine. It's just that I don't know if I should do this 2-year fellowship commitment too early or not. I still want to expose to additional areas of pharmacy through a standard PGY1 program. Anyone who either has experience with this particular program or ever done PGY1 residency at Shands Jacksonville, please share your knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there. Great program with some great people.

I also would double check - I'm pretty sure the last few fellows have already had a PGY-1 under their belts before they started, even though it isn't an implicit qualification. Just something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually the 2nd year fellow for this program. Neither myself nor our first year fellow have a PGY1 behind us. We both rotated with the tox service beforehand, so we were able to come right out of school into the fellowship.

I understand your concern about seeing more aspects of pharmacy before specializing. We have had past fellows with a PGY1 and they do really well (definitely doesn't hurt in the application process). You get a nice mix of pharmacy rotations during the fellowship including MICU, PICU, EM, and some electives. The only thing you really miss out on is the pharmacy staffing component since you spend that time working in the poison center versus doing orders in the hospital.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think it's a really great program and can't recommend it enough.

A good friend of mine just finished @ Shands... is now back in Chicago and absolutely raves about this program.

As a medical toxicologist, I can certainly say that I LOVE having my PharmD friends with Toxicology backgrounds... makes for a very interesting practice. d=)

-t

I'm actually the 2nd year fellow for this program. Neither myself nor our first year fellow have a PGY1 behind us. We both rotated with the tox service beforehand, so we were able to come right out of school into the fellowship.

I understand your concern about seeing more aspects of pharmacy before specializing. We have had past fellows with a PGY1 and they do really well (definitely doesn't hurt in the application process). You get a nice mix of pharmacy rotations during the fellowship including MICU, PICU, EM, and some electives. The only thing you really miss out on is the pharmacy staffing component since you spend that time working in the poison center versus doing orders in the hospital.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think it's a really great program and can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for posting! Is there a website with information on the fellowship? I may have a few questions for you (if you don't mind of course).

Here is a generic site about the fellowship including application information. You can PM me if you want with your email address and I can send a more specific flyer (with rotation requirements, etc.). And feel free to ask any questions at all.

www.fpicjax.org/employment.asp