Shadowing a otologist/neurotologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coconut45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after getting great advice from all of you, I've been shadowing an otologist and learning a lot. I actually have three questions. First, the doc I'm working with is not liked by 2 out of the 3 others ENTs in his department, very few OR staff, and not a single M3 that I have met. My school doesn't have an ENT residency program, so I feel like I should have a good rapport with all 4 ENTs, and I am wondering if this can happen if I am looked at as the M1 that follows around the guy "stealing all the interesting ear cases." He is really arrogant, but somehow it works for him. It's not my style (but i guess I don't have the right to have a style yet.) Also, when he asks an M3 a question about anatomy or a common disease of the ear, if they don't know it, he asks me directly. I've gotten some death-stares from the M3 if I get it right, so should I just act like I don't know? The M3 definitely knows more than i do in general, but the anatomy is very fresh for me because I am a first year, and I read a lot of review articles and end up learning something about Meniere's or vestibular schwannomas, etc along the way. They just don't have time for that stuff. And lastly (if you're not asleep already) does it look bad for me to skip anatomy lab to go to clinic with the doc I am shadowing? I don't mind missing lecture every Friday to see an ear surgery, but I don't want him to think I'm a slacker for missing lab to see patients with him. But to me, I think that part is just as cool as doing surgery (I say this having never used a scalpel or a drill on a live person, though.) Thanks in advance, sorry if I sound neurotic.

Members don't see this ad.

So after getting great advice from all of you, I've been shadowing an otologist and learning a lot. I actually have three questions. First, the doc I'm working with is not liked by 2 out of the 3 others ENTs in his department, very few OR staff, and not a single M3 that I have met. My school doesn't have an ENT residency program, so I feel like I should have a good rapport with all 4 ENTs, and I am wondering if this can happen if I am looked at as the M1 that follows around the guy "stealing all the interesting ear cases." He is really arrogant, but somehow it works for him. It's not my style (but i guess I don't have the right to have a style yet.) Also, when he asks an M3 a question about anatomy or a common disease of the ear, if they don't know it, he asks me directly. I've gotten some death-stares from the M3 if I get it right, so should I just act like I don't know? The M3 definitely knows more than i do in general, but the anatomy is very fresh for me because I am a first year, and I read a lot of review articles and end up learning something about Meniere's or vestibular schwannomas, etc along the way. They just don't have time for that stuff. And lastly (if you're not asleep already) does it look bad for me to skip anatomy lab to go to clinic with the doc I am shadowing? I don't mind missing lecture every Friday to see an ear surgery, but I don't want him to think I'm a slacker for missing lab to see patients with him. But to me, I think that part is just as cool as doing surgery (I say this having never used a scalpel or a drill on a live person, though.) Thanks in advance, sorry if I sound neurotic.

I would try to shadow the other docs as well, that way you aren't associated purely with the arrogant guy.

If someone asks you a question and you know the answer, answer the question. Acting dumb just to appease another student is not in your best interests. Now, that said, don't answer out of turn and don't go out of your way to show off.

Re: skipping class to shadow, I would say it depends on what you are skipping. If your clinical grades suffer bc/ you skipped a bunch of class to hang out with an otologist, then you might know that you love ENT, but you then may have trouble getting into residency bc/ lousy grades. Focus on doing the best you can on your grades. Knowing you love ENT doesn't make you a shoe-in for a residency spot.

I would try to shadow the other docs as well, that way you aren't associated purely with the arrogant guy.

If someone asks you a question and you know the answer, answer the question. Acting dumb just to appease another student is not in your best interests. Now, that said, don't answer out of turn and don't go out of your way to show off.

Re: skipping class to shadow, I would say it depends on what you are skipping. If your clinical grades suffer bc/ you skipped a bunch of class to hang out with an otologist, then you might know that you love ENT, but you then may have trouble getting into residency bc/ lousy grades. Focus on doing the best you can on your grades. Knowing you love ENT doesn't make you a shoe-in for a residency spot.

completely agree 100%.