Shadowing as an M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coconut45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first-year and I am interested in doing some shadowing of an ENT doc. My school doesn't have an otolarynology residency program and it's a fairly small department. Am I being too anxious? If not, who should I contact (I assume the dept chair would be too busy to even respond to my email) and what's the best way to do so? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first-year and I am interested in doing some shadowing of an ENT doc. My school doesn't have an otolarynology residency program and it's a fairly small department. Am I being too anxious? If not, who should I contact (I assume the dept chair would be too busy to even respond to my email) and what's the best way to do so? Thanks in advance.

It's never too early, first of all, especially if you don't have a dept at your school. Sounds like you have a dept, just not a residency, so you're sort of in the middle of the road. If you end up applying to any competitive residency, the earlier you make connections the better.

I would contact the residency program coordinator at a program you'd like to visit. Usually that's a secretary-type person. If it's an MD, I'd first ask to talk to the secretary equivalent and get the scoop on what you need to do to get some time in the department. I imagine as a first year, you're not talking about a month straight so it won't be a big deal for you to shadow someone like 1/2 day a week or something like that. I think many programs/docs would be willing. You're own docs in your own dept would probably be more than willing. It's sort of one of their jobs to try to promote quality applicants from their school into ENT, so they're certainly an option and a convenient one.

No, I wouldn't contact the chairman. Wait to make contact after you get there--if it's a program outside your school. I'd get in touch with the chair at your school as soon as you can to start discussing options. Since there is no residency there, he/she should have time to devote to you and others interested in ENT.

You're not being too anxious. You should check it out as early as possible. Rule it in or out. I simply looked up the faculty at my school on the department web site, picked one person, and emailed them. That was that. If they're worth anything, they'll respond to you to either help directly or at least point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely send out some e-mails to otolaryngologists at your school's affiliate hospitals. i was kind of in the same situation. although my school has a program, it's small. i was invited to shadow one of the faculty members in the clinic, but it was bad timing - new 3rd years and new residents just coming in, so it was really crowded and i obviously got the back seat. totally understandable. so, i contacted a few people at some of our affiliate hospitals and i was paired up with a great attending at the children's hospital. he had me shadow him in the clinic a few times and in the OR. he played off of what i knew at that point (which was not much!) and he let me participate as much as i could. in the end he was comfortable with me taking histories, using the basic instruments, etc. he also let me scrub in on a few surgeries and, when there was no resident, he let me assist him. pretty glorious stuff for a first year, haha. anyway, otos seem like really down to earth people compared to the other physicians i've worked with in med school and at my old hospital job. i'm getting the impression that the earlier you can get involved, the better you are if you actually decide to choose it as a specialty in the end. i hope your experience turns out as great as mine. if i could give you any advice on your search - try finding a younger attending at this point. best of luck.

Update: The doc I emailed responded within an hour and said that he would love to have me shadow him and that I could begin as early as the end of this week. He also said that if I have time I should try to get published in oto and gave me a link to his lab's website. Thanks for giving me the confidence I needed to seek out this great opportunity!

Is there anything I should study before I start shadowing?

As an MS1, you won't be expected to know much clinically. In line with your level, I would recommend really reading up on head and neck anatomy. Use whatever text book your anatomy class requires. I liked Moore's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" since the anatomy is presented with relevance to clinical medicine.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself just yet. You should read more anatomy and start shadowing. If you end up falling in love with ENT, then get neck deep into it...start doing research and reading more focused literature. If I were you, I wouldn't read ENT Secrets. It's too advanced for an MS1, in my opinion. Plus it's not organized. Try something like the Washington University Otolaryngology Survival Guide if you want to get more in depth. It's (1)organized and (2)pretty basic.

Congrats on the initial contact. :thumbup: Keep the questions coming.....

As an MS1, you won't be expected to know much clinically. In line with your level, I would recommend really reading up on head and neck anatomy. Use whatever text book your anatomy class requires. I liked Moore's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" since the anatomy is presented with relevance to clinical medicine.

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself just yet. You should read more anatomy and start shadowing. If you end up falling in love with ENT, then get neck deep into it...start doing research and reading more focused literature. If I were you, I wouldn't read ENT Secrets. It's too advanced for an MS1, in my opinion. Plus it's not organized. Try something like the Washington University Otolaryngology Survival Guide if you want to get more in depth. It's (1)organized and (2)pretty basic.

Congrats on the initial contact. :thumbup: Keep the questions coming.....
haha, he said "neck deep"

My only advice:

The larynx and pharynx are pronounced "lair-inks" and "phair-inks", NOT "lair-nix" and "phair-nix".

My only advice:

The larynx and pharynx are pronounced "lair-inks" and "phair-inks", NOT "lair-nix" and "phair-nix".

and you're there to pick other people's boogers, not your own.

My only advice:

Actually, the correct pronounciation is lahr-nix and phahr-nix.

:laugh: