service for other specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebaj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about any programs comparable to the National Health Service that will accept students in specialites other than those listed on their website? I am looking towards surgery, (especially trauma/orthopedic), and desperately want to find a service-based scholarship that is not centered on family/general practice....

-rjm

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched long and hard, because at one time I was considering pediatric oncology, but I wanted a way to pay for med school. Scholarships such as the National Health Service Corps ones are based on a physician shortage. At this point, there is no shortage of surgeons, nor does it seem likely there will be one, especially in a high paying field like orthopedics. However, in one of those fields you should easily be able to pay off your loans, so I'm not sure why you're desperate to find one. If you're a Christian, and your reason for wanting to do one of these is to serve in foreign missions, your church might sponsor you or you could become a surgeon through one of the military scholarship programs.... Otherwise, there simply isn't a need; take out the loans, people aren't going to pay for you to become a wealthy surgeon.

Just FYI -

I'm not necessarily planning on becoming a wealthy surgeon. There are two reasons why I wanted a service scholarship.

1. I'm an older student, worried about finishing a residency in my early 40's with a huge amount of debt, 15 years older than other docs. The later you accrue debt, the later you are able to start saving, and the bleaker your prospects for supporting yourself later in life become. Even if you love being a doctor and never want to retire, most of us become infirm and have to live off retirement savings someday.

2. I am interested in doing service type work as my vocation. I would prefer to find some way to provide my services to underserved regions (which may need surgeons and oncologists, too) even if that meant making less money. I also would very much like to be able to donate my time to relief organizations, if possible even making that my primary practice somehow. Large debt limits these options.

I'm not trying to get some type of free ride to riches. Trying to find some financially feasible way to do the good work I am getting a MD for.