Current Service member Needing Financial Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reskee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been accepted to a Post-bacc/MD program and am trying to figure out the best way to fund my education going forward and have my undergraduate loans repaid.

I am currently a 1LT in the military and was previously considering HPSP, however I'm beginning to think that's not the best choice financially. HPSP requires me to start back as a 2LT and finish as a CPT when now I am eligible to make CPT next year and by the time I finish school i'll be approaching the promotion board of MAJ. Also, HPSP doesn't do any loan repayment and would require me to be active duty blocking opportunities for loan repayment in the civilian sector.

1) What are some other programs (other than HPSP) that can take care of my student loans and pay for medical school with a stipend?
2) Can the NHSC scholarship program be accepted in conjunction with a reserve military commitment? (I.E. Do the scholarship for current funding/stipend and work in a rural area and use military reserve commitment to pay off loans)

Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have been accepted to a Post-bacc/MD program and am trying to figure out the best way to fund my education going forward and have my undergraduate loans repaid.

I am currently a 1LT in the military and was previously considering HPSP, however I'm beginning to think that's not the best choice financially. HPSP requires me to start back as a 2LT and finish as a CPT when now I am eligible to make CPT next year and by the time I finish school i'll be approaching the promotion board of MAJ. Also, HPSP doesn't do any loan repayment and would require me to be active duty blocking opportunities for loan repayment in the civilian sector.

1) What are some other programs (other than HPSP) that can take care of my student loans and pay for medical school with a stipend?
2) Can the NHSC scholarship program be accepted in conjunction with a reserve military commitment? (I.E. Do the scholarship for current funding/stipend and work in a rural area and use military reserve commitment to pay off loans)

Any help would be great!
nhsc doesn't take reservists if I remember right and makes you restrict your specialty choice, it might be better to note that an attending salary will have no problem repaying undergrad loans and just focus on the life you want.....i.e. do you want to stay in the military etc

nhsc doesn't take reservists if I remember right and makes you restrict your specialty choice, it might be better to note that an attending salary will have no problem repaying undergrad loans and just focus on the life you want.....i.e. do you want to stay in the military etc
Oh wow I’ve never heard that. I wonder how that isn’t a violation of USERRA

Oh wow I’ve never heard that. I wonder how that isn’t a violation of USERRA
I just googled it and apparently they wrote in an exception for reservists but it’s not realy favorable terms, 7wks gone means the year gets suspended