Med School Loan Forgiveness, Public Service Forgiveness Loan, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rishi Garg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about applying for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness, I heard its a great way to reduce your medical student and graduate debt. I have been searching for resources online. I thought I would collect what I find and post it here (might save people sometime). I think there are more options out there aside from PSLF for recent grads.

Anyone apply to this program? Any thoughts or issues?

Great articles:
Student Loan Forgiveness Program: Guide for Healthcare Professionals (very comprehensive)
Is Public Service Loan Forgiveness Going to Disappear?
4 Ways to Get Federal Student Loan Forgiveness

Last link is from Feds - https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just started the paper work for PSLF. I wish I knew about this program during residency, fellowship. Essentially you need to keep track of where you worked and how long your worked there and whether they are a "qualifying employee". I have to go back and touch base with HR at all the places I've worked to get the paper work correctly submitted.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about: The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Application Process. Also here is the form from the Feds.

I don't know of any other resources on the web? Any thoughts?

They really should make all residents and fellows with students loans fill out this paper work during training (if eligible).

Reactions: 1 user
Any suggestions on scholarships available? I've run out of grants and loans and I cant qualify for more.

Thankyou

Members don't see this ad :)
Just started the paper work for PSLF. I wish I knew about this program during residency, fellowship. Essentially you need to keep track of where you worked and how long your worked there and whether they are a "qualifying employee". I have to go back and touch base with HR at all the places I've worked to get the paper work correctly submitted.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about: The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Application Process. Also here is the form from the Feds.

I don't know of any other resources on the web? Any thoughts?

They really should make all residents and fellows with students loans fill out this paper work during training (if eligible).

I suggest folks submit the certification form annually starting 1 month after their first payment on REPAYE or PAYE during residency to start tracking their progress. You can do semi annually too

(deleted)

Last edited: