{SERIOUS} Remediation of Pediatrics! Can I still match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych_psych_psych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'll have a remediation of pediatrics on my transcript. I have a good step 1 (235) and expect similar on step 2. I'll have several publications 4-6 (case reports, technical paper, and few clinical things involving addiction and medical devices) by the time I submit ERAS. I also have a few publications from undergrad. I'll have some pretty solid LORs. I haven't done an away yet, but the rest of my clinical grades are all passes.

Do you think I'll be able to match to a decent program with the remediation of pediatrics on my transcript?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do some aways at your top average programs to get your foot in the door.

Unfortunately most top 50 programs will screen out class failures. Apply broadly to lesser known programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Do your best to show that it was a fluke. Try to get stellar reviews in upcoming rotations. Based on your brief description of your scores and publication record you still have a good shot at matching, and matching at a good program I think, though as TexasPhysician mentioned this will hurt you especially at competitive programs.

Reactions: 1 user
@TexasPhysician and @Bartelby I was really looking at UW, OHSU, and Utah, but from what you're saying those would be out of the running? Even if I did aways and did well at those aways do you think I would be screened out of those places? Again, I appreciate your help and advice.

Apply early, apply to a lot of programs, and don’t limit yourself too much geographically.

Remediation in a core clerkship is a problem, but it’s a matter of context. If you honored everything else, you might have some top(ish) programs roll the dice. But with the rest of your scores only passes, that will likely not be the case.

But there are many psych programs and many fine ones that aren’t top(ish) ones. Apply early and to a broad range of programs and you’ll have a good shot at finding a good home. Do a couple of away rotations at places that are realistic matches to hedge your bets.

@TexasPhysician and @Bartelby I was really looking at UW, OHSU, and Utah, but from what you're saying those would be out of the running? Even if I did aways and did well at those aways do you think I would be screened out of those places? Again, I appreciate your help and advice.

I think those are reasonable “reach” programs, but you need to focus applications at less competitive places. Build strong ties within your home institution as well.

Aways generally get you an interview, but it doesn’t mean they will overlook red flags come ranking time. The 3 programs you list are pretty good places. The odds are against you, but you never know unless you try.

Found out recently that the remediation will not show up as a failure as it was only counted as an incomplete and later designated to be a pass on my transcript due to my performance. Should I still bring this up on in my personal statement. I will also have a letter from an attending from this rotation write me a letter and it appears it will be glowing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

If there is no way for them to know (MSPE, transcript, etc.) would leave it out!

Reactions: 3 users