Match week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celexa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who found out they matched yesterday! To anyone who didn't, I wish you best of luck in SOAP this week.

The pressure isn't exactly the same from the advising side but I still let out a big sigh of relief when I heard all our students were matched this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Excellent and competitive year for psych. Only about 10 spots in the SOAP (per Reddit — not confirmed yet), less than last year however.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Brave cohort...don't seem to be deterred by midlevels.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's good to see that the "NPs are coming for our jobs" crowd hasn't trickled their paranoia down to the med students.

Reactions: 3 users
Excellent and competitive year for psych. Only about 10 spots in the SOAP (per Reddit — not confirmed yet), less than last year however.
I forget if it was last year or the year before but I believe there was a new program who filled their entire first year class from SOAP. It's not a bad strategy for jump starting a program, since cherry picking the strongest candidates from SOAP likely nets you a more competitive class than a brand new program would get through normal matching. But that would have slightly artificially elevated the numbers of spots in SOAP.

Very few spots in SOAP is the new normal and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Well, it's good to see that the "NPs are coming for our jobs" crowd hasn't trickled their paranoia down to the med students.
From what I hear more and more places don’t want to hire NPs because of their poor management and abysmal patient satisfaction surveys. Patients are getting smarter and they are demanding to see doctors. Good for us, yay lol

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Where are you seeing this number?
Now hearing it’s 7 programs with 10 spots open total. That’s amazing for psych! Really means our specialty is in demand and pay will continue to increase as future competitive graduates negotiate better, advance the field, etc. Future is so bright

• Love
Now hearing it’s 7 programs with 10 spots open total. That’s amazing for psych! Really means our specialty is in demand and pay will continue to increase as future competitive graduates negotiate better, advance the field, etc. Future is so bright
SO glad i didnt choose IM

Reactions: 4 users
The downsides of IM? :) Is there a character limit here?

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any opportunity to take an elephant sized crap on IM, I'm there, like yesterday. I support it with all my heart.

Last edited:
  • Haha
IM guys seem to be burning out fast. I’ve seen a few go into addictions, and one GI guys open up a ketamine clinic. 🤦🏻‍♂️
But money and prestige is there if that’s what one is looking for.

What’s the psych equivalent of a revenue generators the likes of GI scopes, joint injections, reading echos, EEGs or sleep studies, which other specialties use in addition to e/m to boost income?

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the psych equivalent of a revenue generators the likes of GI scopes, joint injections, reading echos, EEGs or sleep studies, which other specialties use in addition to e/m to boost income?
ECT, esketamine and in particular TMS are what the venture capitalists are going for

Having an army of midlevels seems to be a trendy option in addition to the interventional work.

I would say that just doing a cash practice and making really solid money where you are the boss, set your hours, get a bunch of tax deductions, etc is something most moneysnake operators would be jealous of, even if they make a bit more annual revenue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Let's open up an SDN doc clinic.

Psylocybin treatment for AUD and Depression
LSD for GAD

We can scale from there.

ECT, esketamine and in particular TMS are what the venture capitalists are going for
except neither ECT nor spravato are lucrative. you could lose money on esketamine and nowadays the few people doing ECT do it because they believe it is an important treatment to offer, not because it brings in the big bucks (which it doesn't). Most ECT patients are on medicare to boot. TMS can be very lucrative depending on contracts but you really need to have a high volume practice or establish yourself before anyone else and the ship has sailed on that in most areas. There also isn't a huge demand for TMS.

except neither ECT nor spravato are lucrative. you could lose money on esketamine and nowadays the few people doing ECT do it because they believe it is an important treatment to offer, not because it brings in the big bucks (which it doesn't). Most ECT patients are on medicare to boot. TMS can be very lucrative depending on contracts but you really need to have a high volume practice or establish yourself before anyone else and the ship has sailed on that in most areas. There also isn't a huge demand for TMS.
Gotta say I disagree with this. TMS can be very lucrative. I work in a practice that does a lot of TMS. Have a lot of patients coming in asking about it and many more that want to go through the treatment but have to jump through the insurance hoops. Seems the studies are promising too that TMS will become approved to treat a lot of other things in the future besides depression and OCD.

I barely learned anything about TMS in residency and I graduated in 2019. Seems it's grown quite a bit since then and continues to grow.

Having an army of midlevels seems to be a trendy option in addition to the interventional work.

I would say that just doing a cash practice and making really solid money where you are the boss, set your hours, get a bunch of tax deductions, etc is something most moneysnake operators would be jealous of, even if they make a bit more year in revenue.
Agree with this. TMS, employ mid levels if you have your own practice, or cash only can be very lucrative. The practice I'm at has clinics in multiple states and I know of some psychiatrist who are clearing 5-600 pretty regularly but most are in the 3-400K range. There's rumor one particular has cleared a mil. Obviously this is an outlier but it is possible if you hustle.

See Merovinge's post. Also psych can offer these and a better work life balance than most specialties. I do work 40 hours a week but many work less. I do 4 days M-TH 10 hour days and get a 3 day weekend every weekend (well most weekends but I am currently picking up some extra fridays at another clinic within our practice for a limited time in a different city until a full time psychiatrist starts there).

Not only does ECT not make much money, but if you factor as a loss the difference between what the ECT service brings in (assuming it's even in the black, which is not a given) and what would be earned if those ORs were used for other procedures.... Yeah no one maintains ECT services bc the hospital likes how they make the balance sheet look.

Okay. Appreciate the input from everyone. But none of these are the quick RVU bonus the likes of a joint injection or reading an echo (that’s was ordered for the purposes of the RVU bump). Perhaps I’ll mark up and sell NAC and Omega-3 out of the office then, 🧐

• Haha
Okay. Appreciate the input from everyone. But none of these are the quick RVU bonus the likes of a joint injection or reading an echo (that’s was ordered for the purposes of the RVU bump). Perhaps I’ll mark up and sell NAC and Omega-3 out of the office then, 🧐

Psych's the wrong field if you're looking for quick procedures that'll boost your RVUs

Any spots left after SOAP? I saw like 9 programs went unfilled or something like that? But not sure how many spots left over. Maybe it was a brand new program that opened right after SOAP or didn’t fill in SOAP

How quick are you looking for? Like next paycheck quick? I don’t see mine that fast but every quarter get a bonus based on RVU’s. May not be quick enough for you but all I knew before was the military where a bonus just means more responsibility with no more pay.

I guess I was looking for the ancillaries…like infusions for rheum, chemo markups for onc, facility fees for GI or Cards, upgraded lenses on optho; something to augment beyond just the labour of seeing pts.

I guess I was looking for the ancillaries…like infusions for rheum, chemo markups for onc, facility fees for GI or Cards, upgraded lenses on optho; something to augment beyond just the labour of seeing pts.
You could always start doing botox for depressed patients wanting to look better...

• Haha
You could always start doing botox for depressed patients wanting to look better...

🤣. I was actually going to mention this in my response about ancillaries but held back. I just may….haha.

Ah well I've seen my stupid study for the day now.

Didn't @whopper say something about taking a weekend course on Botox? So many patients ask me about it and I am always fascinated that they think my little office has a vial of Botox and my hooked fingers are what you'd want guiding a Botox needle