self-serving bias vs. actor-observer bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basophilic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What's the difference between self-serving bias and actor-observer bias? Sound like the same thing.
TPR seems to say that actor-observer bias = our bad behaviors are due to situational factors (i.e. like cutting someone in a highway lane and justifying by saying you're in a hurry)
and self-serving bias = our failures are due to situational factors (i.e. did bad on exam because teacher was hard); our successes due to dispositional ones
what's the difference in the negative aspects of both?

2. Edit: Also, speaking of attributional biases, I know fundamental attribution error states that we attribute others' failures to personal factors; but does it ALSO say that their successes have situational factors?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Self serving bias is in reference to outcomes - success and failures. We tend o attribute our successes to ourselves (dispositional factors) and failures to external factors (situational factors). But actor observer bias is in reference to responses and behaviours. for example, if I cut off someone on the highway, I would justify my behaviour by stating that I am in a hurry, I am getting late etc. But if someone else cut me off on the highway, I would be more likely to say that he/she is a rude person who doesn't care about the right of others etc.

2. fundamental attribution error - I believe that both ways are true - we attribute others failures to them and successes to external factors (like luck).

Reactions: 2 users