self serving bias vs actor observer bias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between these two terms? Are they only applied to situations where the person tries to think more favorably and positively about themselves?

Also what's attribution theory? how does this relate to those two terms?

Members don't see this ad.

Attribution theory defines the phenomenon by which individuals attempt to search for and define the causes of certain behaviors. The self-serving bias and actor-observer bias both fall under attribution theory.

The self-serving bias is when an individual attributes their successes to internal factors, and their failures to external factors.
The actor-observer bias is when individuals explain their own behavior through external circumstances when they are the "Actor" and explains the behavior of others through internal characteristics when another person is viewed as the "Actor". This occurs because individuals are very acclimated to how situational factors (External factors) might affect their own behavior, but are not as well able to relate situational factors to their influence on others' behavior.

Attribution theory defines the phenomenon by which individuals attempt to search for and define the causes of certain behaviors. The self-serving bias and actor-observer bias both fall under attribution theory.

The self-serving bias is when an individual attributes their successes to internal factors, and their failures to external factors.
The actor-observer bias is when individuals explain their own behavior through external circumstances when they are the "Actor" and explains the behavior of others through internal characteristics when another person is viewed as the "Actor". This occurs because individuals are very acclimated to how situational factors (External factors) might affect their own behavior, but are not as well able to relate situational factors to their influence on others' behavior.

But how is that different from fundamental attribution error? Can you please differentiate the three? Here's what I have (from textbook):
Fundamental attribution error = others' failures are attributed to personal factors; others' successes to situational factors
Self-serving bias = your own failures are attributed to situational factors; your successes to personal factors
Where does actor-observer bias fall here?

But how is that different from fundamental attribution error? Can you please differentiate the three? Here's what I have (from textbook):
Fundamental attribution error = others' failures are attributed to personal factors; others' successes to situational factors
Self-serving bias = your own failures are attributed to situational factors; your successes to personal factors
Where does actor-observer bias fall here?

My understanding is that for the actor-observer bias phenomenon, the actor attributes his failures to the situations ( i.e he/she engages in a self serving bias). However as an observer, he/she commits a fundamental attribution error by attributing an actor's failure to internal/ personal dispositions or characteristics.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that for the actor-observer bias phenomenon, the actor attributes his failures to the situations ( i.e he/she engages in a self serving bias). However as an observer, he/she commits a fundamental attribution error by attributing an actor's failure to internal/ personal dispositions or characteristics.

I was thinking similarly too. But what if you have a question like:
A person cuts in front of line you've been waiting for 2 hours. You see him as a jerk. What is relevant to this?
A. Fundamental attribution error
B. Self-serving bias
C. Actor-observer bias
D. Social desirability bias

Or alternatively, with the same answer choices, a person fails an exam in your class. You see him as a failure/stupid/etc. What is that relevant to?

I've seen the former question be more relevant to C and the latter more relevant to A. Not entirely sure why

I will pick A for both scenarios because A is more specific than C. "A common form of actor-observer bias is fundamental attribution error"- psych text. In both cases, you as an observer attributes the actor's behavior to internal factors.

A person cuts in front of line you've been waiting for 2 hours. You see him as a jerk. What is relevant to this?
B. Self-serving bias
C. Actor-observer bias

Or alternatively, with the same answer choices, a person fails an exam in your class. You see him as a failure/stupid/etc. What is that relevant to?

I've seen the former question be more relevant to C and the latter more relevant to A. Not entirely sure why
I would say the first is more relevant to C because you're directly engaged in the situation, so you're the actor and the other is the observer. In the second case, if the person fails an exam in your class it seems liek youre more focused on that person and try to attribute that person's behavior, and has less to do with yours

B. Self-serving bias
C. Actor-observer bias

I'm pretty sure actor-observer bias usually involves both attributing someone else's actions to internal characteristics, while attributing your own actions to external characteristics. So I don't think either case would be C, because the question stem doesn't mention how you view yourself