Attribution Bias and Fundamental Attribution Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victorias

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-7-17_15-20-18.png

Why is the answer above not attribution bias since the dispositional/personal characteristics are being emphasized more than the situational characteristics when evaluating the reasons behind another person's actions?

Are attribution bias and fundamental attribution error the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Attribution bias- Attributing success to yourself, and failure toward others.
"I got into medical school all by myself."
"I did not get into medical school because of all the bad mentors and friends I had around me."

Fundamental Attribution Error-overestimating the impact of personality traits and underestimating the effect on the situation. (tendency to overestimate the role of factors, and making quick judgement on that person based on their behavior.)
Student failed a test: "Ah man, I flunked my orgo test."
You: "Ah, cheer up. Maybe reading the book and doing more problems would help."
Student: "Why should I listen to you, f off."
You could get angry with yourself and dismiss the person as a rude, misbehaved individual. Or maybe the student is just having a really bad day. The orgo test is just making their day harder.

Internal attribution-attributing the cause of someone's behavior to their personality or abilities.
Student receives a bad test.
"They didn't understand the concepts, and probably wasn't serious about the exam."

External attribution-attributing the cause of someone's behavior to situational or outside factors.
You received a bad test.
"The teacher was trash and I didn't have much time to study."

Cultural attribution-attributing the cause of someone's behavior to their cultural backgrounds
"Damn, Chin got a good grade on his orgo test."
"Yeah, so asian though."

I would say that FAE and internal attribution is almost the same. FAE just minus the effect of underestimating the impact of external factors=internal attribution
FAE almost seems like overestimating internal and underestimating external attribution.
*If in this question FAE was a choice, I would not know which one to choose. (IA vs. FAE)

Thread watched for other opinions.

Reactions: 1 user