seeking wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdnm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an English major, going into my junior year and have begun thinking about med school. However, I have yet to take a science course in college. So, realistically I could not complete the pre-req's for applying to med school in time (and am also wary of taking chem, bio, physics and calc all next year). A post-bacc program might be a good idea for me, right? Should/could I take bio and/or chem to a) test out my ability/dedication to study the sciences and b) fulfill some of the requirements before attending a post-bacc program and saving some time/money? Also, should I begin volunteering in a hospital (or other premed application builders) now?

If it helps, I have a 3.9 gpa, do well on standardized tests, 1400 SAT (post bacc programs look at this, right?) and will have excellent recommendations.

All of you who know more about this, please help. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you have a ton of options. Consider graduating in 6 or 7 semesters and using the cost savings toward the post-bacc. If you graduate after 3 years, then you'd have to volunteer/shadow over the summer/upcoming semester and apply for post-baccs at the end of this year. Could be a bit hurried if you've just begun to think about med school. If you choose to graduate in 7 or 8 semesters, you can go at a more leisurely pace.

There are some post-baccs that you won't be eligible for if you take even one prereq course during your undergrad years. Which ones those are, I don't know off the top of my head, but it is something to consider before signing up for that freshman chem class as a senior. What about a non-prereq science class? Depends on the program (I think). As far as saving time/money goes, there are plenty of examples of students who completed all of the prereqs in one year. Really the only way you save noticeable money or time long-term is if you graduate early or link to a medical school, thus eliminating the glide year.

Your SAT will be asked at some of the best programs, but it doesn't play a huge role. Your 3.9 GPA will take you a LOT further. So keep it up!! :p

FWIW, I would not take a single science class, graduate after the fall semester of senior year or take a light load in your final undergrad semester, get into a post-bacc early, and then use the remaining time to pursue a hobby/go abroad/whatever. Really the best path is whatever you feel comfortable doing. It sounds like you've set yourself up pretty well so far.